Sponsored

What impact will battery weight have on future real Mustangs if Hybrid or full EV?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Very true.

A bit before Covid hit, I hired an electrician I work with and her dad (electrician as well) to run 220V power to my attached garage for an electric heater and add a generator transfer panel, which terminated in the same general area. They charged me far less than an actual electrician would have since it was a cash job, but the cost was still high. If your electrical service entry and/or main panel aren't up to snuff, the cost will spiral wildly.

I highly doubt that most people will want to spring for this....but it's a cost nobody seems to talk about.
I believe this is where new home builders will eventually step in. Today’s smart home technology will evolve to include charging networks for electric vehicles. Same will trickle down to existing homes. The needed technology and cost reductions attached to them are coming.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Cannot verify, but suspect this is true. A house hold with multi EVs, can have 2k a month for the electric bill ........... wow what a deal...

Energy is not free, how will the left coast keep the EVs running? They cannot keep the ACs running for the folks now.

A question was asked how many amps, & time to charge. A quick formula.

The more amps at the panel the faster the charge.

1 amp + 10amp full charge = 10 hours

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I believe this is where new home builders will eventually step in. Today’s smart home technology will evolve to include charging networks for electric vehicles. Same will trickle down to existing homes. The needed technology and cost reductions attached to them are coming.
Level 2 is 240 V @ 40 A, that's less than our oven and water heater take (combined) and we probably don't need them all night. Maybe we should get a Mach-E! (no) ;)

Half the homes in our neighborhood have golf carts so they are used to plugging in their vehicle every night.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I remember when the plug in version of the Bolt came out. There was a statement from GM that the advanced 400 lb battery contained roughly the same energy as 1 gallon of gas. 1 gallon of gas weights about 6 lbs.

It amazes me that the environmentalist always forget about the 1000 lb plus batteries made out of toxic heavy metals, that don't generally last the life of the car, when gushing about how electric cars will save the planet. Even worse that just assuming all the electricity will come from solar energy and fairy dust.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I just did some napkin math, and here's what I've got:

100KWh Tesla discharged FULLY every day, 30 days a month = $600
3 - of the above = $1800
Round that off to a cool $2 grand.

Ok, I see where you got your numbers. Now let's look at how you're bad at math, finances, or perhaps even both!

the 100KWh Tesla has to do 400 miles a day to be draining down to zero every day. That's a lot of driving! Add it all up, and you've got 12,000 miles a month, for each of the three vehicles. Let's be generous and assume 30 mpg highway for an ICE replacement. Then let's calculate based on today's average fuel price of around $3/gallon.

3 cars * 12,000 miles / 30 MPG * $3/gallon = $3600

This also doesn't factor in the cost of an oil change a month for each car. In order to MATCH the cost of running those 100KWh Tesla's, you either have to find a car that can reliably do 60 MPG highway, or hope that gas prices drop back down to $1.50. I wouldn't count on either.
At least I would have enjoyed those $3600.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
In other threads on this site I get amused by how upset some of us get when our dash shows 50 miles to empty. I just watched a YT video of a new MachE driving from Denver to Cali. Most of the charging stations had several connectors that didn't work. Had to keep trying several to get one that would charge the MachE. Then there was the charging rates of each type of station. Most you had to walk away and get something it eat while it charged. Then you also had to determine if you were going to be driving uphill to a higher location, or downhill to a lower elevation to figure out how many miles you could go on your current charge state. This video also showed how much each charge cost. Looks like it costs as much, or more, than an ICE. If you're even thinking about an EV, Google up some of these videos first --- you might just change your mind. Video is 1:16:32 long titled: First Long Trip in Mustang Mach-E Over The Rockies to the Left Coast Battling Charging Stations.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's kinda the same for every EV. I've got a Kona EV which gets ~275mi/charge, and you can get 80% at a supercharger station in about an hour, which in SoCal costs about $10. The $2k number is a real extreme edge case, because if you have a long drive that you're doing 300 miles a day, you don't use an EV for that, you just don't. My daily commute was 75 miles, and most workplaces have a charging station, or like a mall, or whatnot where you can plug it in while you get lunch or something. Stop-go traffic actually helps from all the regenerative braking opportunities, as do hills.

Charging quickly will be the big issue with any EV, but at the same time, they weren't developed to go on a long trip in the first place. If you lived in a city where you're only driving 10-20 miles a day doing errands and whatnot, you could go weeks without charging. I go to the Cars n' Coffee carshow on Saturday mornings, and one of them is conveniently in a supermarket lot that gives 2 free hours of charging, and because of that, I haven't had to pay for a charge in close to a year. Just requires a little additional planning and thinking, that's all.

The big opportunity is when somebody makes something like a removable battery tray where you can switch batteries in a similar fashion to how you would drop off an empty propane tank and just grab another pre-filled one ready to go.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I don't expect EV's to be compotent long distance haulers, at least in my lifetime. I hadn't thought about, say, coast to coast driving time. We did L.A. To Pittsburgh back in '89 with 3 kids and my Sweetie in 4 days('89 GT) driving about 10 hours a day. How long do you think that would be in a new Super-dooper fast Tesla?
As a short term commuter, or work beater, 'fo sho, and I'd consider one at a reasonable price, say around 20-25K, and not some 'frickin Smart Car thingie. It would be purely for commuter purposes right now. For pleasure cruising, it'll be the Mustang spewing ozone harming gasses and surpassing noise limit restrictions every chance I get.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Yep, some young child growing up now will invent the Heliumion battery, and cut battery weight by 90% and extend range to 2K miles per solar charge. Get on it kid...

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hydrocarbon win .....

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
So everyone who races Mustangs (more than just a weekender) is always trying to reduce As Built weight.

After reading this article below where it's stated the new Ford Lightning battery will weigh 1,800 LBS it raises some performance questions for the future of REAL Mustangs... IF going Hybrid or full EV.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-battery-reportedly-weighs-1800-pounds/

How will one be able to reduce weight if the battery will be the largest percentage of weight now built into the vehicle?

Discuss.
Besides being Butt Ugly, 1800lbs of dead wright.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Yeah, those numbers come out great when when you skew them to the worst possible situation that a percent of a percent will encounter. Lets flip that (even though, unlike you with the EV, I am not using the worst possible numbers for the gas engine).

Mach E ER can get almost 3.5 miles per kw.
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Beats EPA Range by 39 Miles

Average driver is in car for 46 minutes per day, traveling 29.2 miles.
New Study Reveals When, Where and How Much Motorists Drive
The ER version could theoretically be used for over ten days on one nights charge.

Average price of electricity in US $0.13 per kw.
Average Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers

305/3.5 = 87kwh

87kwh x $0.13 = $11.31

29.2miles x 365 = 10,658miles/3.5 = 3,045 kw x $0.13 = $395.87 per year

(Save a few bucks = 25% discount lol)

Driving a mustang GT at 19mpg (combined mpg) x $3.67 per gallon comes to:
AAA National average gas prices

305/19mpg = 16g

16 x $3.67 = $58.72

29.2miles x 365 = 10,658miles/ 19mpg = 561g x $3.67 = $2,058.87 per year
Sponsored

Last edited: