Sponsored

What factory options are upgradable from a 2020 base GT later if wanted.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
True I did save thousands on my 300A, but the number 1 reason was I wanted the lightest GT available. Now with go fast mods, etc., I'm still ahead over the premium moneywise & have a much, much faster/quicker car.
That's awesome, base is for sure the way to go for weight savings. Some people don't need all the bells and whistles so that's where the base shines. Lightweight and not as much money wasted if it needs to be gutted and racing seats applied.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
But first and foremost I want this to handle as close to my ecoboost did and have some low end grunt.
Interesting statement. You know the additional weight of the Coyote puts the GT behind the EcoBoost from the start. You feel it the second you go. That's not to say you cannot overcome that, just sayin'.

Also the Coyote is not know for its low end grunt. It's a hi -rev'er that wakes up at 4K+. That can also be overcome with an E85 tune but again just sayin'.

So again I ask, does the car you were offered have the 301A. If it does it certainly would be a good start. If it is a pure base and you're not building a race car you might want to reconsider.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
It does not look like the 301a package is on this car. I am glad you mentioned this. Certainly does have me looking into what all I will be missing.

I do realize the handling and low end grunt are going to be my biggest challenges. After much work I got my 05 Gt pretty good in both those areas. I am looking forward to the challenge. I used to do many years of motorcycle roadracing, motocross and plenty of asphalt Karting. I miss the days of tinkering. I didn't invest much into my Eco because I always knew it was my inbetween car until daughter out of college. But damn they just don't get enough credit for how well they work in those 2 depts. Plus oh how I do look forward to a nice topend pull which the Eco certainly did not have.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
With all this said how does everyone feel about the long trouble free life of the 18+ engines and trans. I like the hype around the 18+ but really wonder if a tuned 16 with maybe a manifold and rear gear changes would be plenty fun and reliable over the years. I generally can get 160000 miles or so on my cars over 8 - 9 years of ownership.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do realize the handling and low end grunt are going to be my biggest challenges.
Handling will be different, but depending on your use isn't necessarily going to be 'inferior'. The more deliberate-handling GT is probably going to be better suited to big track driving than autocross, this being the best illustration I can come up with offhand. But even that means it's going to be plenty precise for any halfway sane street driving.

With the V8 you may or may not have to learn to be one gear lower in certain situations, though I suspect you're already avoiding getting caught under about 2000 rpm. The flip side is that power delivery from stepping on the throttle at speed with the V8 probably comes in more smoothly and with less lag even if the EB's lag is minimal. Less need for anticipating when to tip into the throttle to have the power come in at some further point along the turn.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
That is about the feel I'm planning on the handling of the GT compared to the Eco. Hell I was in a hellcat that honestly didn't handle bad for its weight given the proper suspension.

The issue I always have testdriving a GT it actually the waiting for the power compared to the Eco. It jumped across intersections so quick. Literally to jumpy at times in sport. Usually one downshift to 2500 it pulled so nice until about 4000. I had an A6 which I thought worked perfectly in sport. After multplie tunes to my 05 from Lito the low end Rivals the Eco and I hope to achieve that with the coyote. This is my biggest gripe. I would love a short shift grunt for the street like my old Fox and recent turbo cars. Hell I'm not counting out trying the truck manifold. Only if I get a GT out of warrenty probably though. Can't bring myself to jeopardize a drivtrain warranty incase an issue arrises. A 16 with 40000, game on.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just some guesses from me...

Digital dash - $2K
Sync 3 - $1500
Leather seats - doable, but hard to find OEM seats. Could go with a cover, maybe $700ish. Headed seats using the OEM buttons, probably expensive and not really worth it.
Active exhaust - Not sure if this is possible. Better off getting a Corsa system anyway for $2K.

Overall, if you really want these features, you should find a car that already has them. If you like to tinker, go for the base. Also, I'd guess your resale will take a hit when you decide to sell. Even though it technically has premium features, it's not a premium and will not sell like one. Some people may even avoid or under value your car at that point.
Sync 3 is nowhere near 1500, it's plug and play on 19+ up. It's $700 ish for the parts.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Just some guesses from me...

Digital dash - $2K
Sync 3 - $1500
Leather seats - doable, but hard to find OEM seats. Could go with a cover, maybe $700ish. Headed seats using the OEM buttons, probably expensive and not really worth it.
Active exhaust - Not sure if this is possible. Better off getting a Corsa system anyway for $2K.

Overall, if you really want these features, you should find a car that already has them. If you like to tinker, go for the base. Also, I'd guess your resale will take a hit when you decide to sell. Even though it technically has premium features, it's not a premium and will not sell like one. Some people may even avoid or under value your car at that point.
This is a great point. When it comes time for trade in or resale. You will need to find someone who wants what you have put into the car and a Dealer is NOT one of them.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Good to hear about the sync 3. The infotainment panel would be biggest interior issue for me. I assume the speakers are pretty crappy in the base? I'll need to look up the retrofit of the sync3.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
buy it built with features. Isn’t worth any savings doing it yourself

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
But you don’t get the amp, just clip or unplug the center speaker. Takes 3 minutes.

aeriously consider the upgraded model if you’re thinking of adding the things on own

time is money, as much as I love to tinker. I read threads, it isn’t worth it

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But you don’t get the amp, just clip or unplug the center speaker. Takes 3 minutes.

aeriously consider the upgraded model if you’re thinking of adding the things on own

time is money, as much as I love to tinker. I read threads, it isn’t worth it
It's not that I disagree, but it depends how much you value certain things. If you want everything in a Premium, it makes no sense to not get the Premium. If you only care about having Sync 3, then it's way cheaper to just add after the fact instead of buying a Premium.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
For me it will be a premium 15 to 17 or a base 18 thru 20. Maybe a deal will come up over winter. Budget is about max 31ish. I can't change engine and trans in the future like I can a stereo or seat covers. But I'm not sure the 18 motor and trans mean all that much to me anyway. Performance didn't blow me away as much as the hype I heard about coupled with a little more questionable reliability. Plus I still like the 15 front a bit better. We'll see as options become available. I just wish the price of 15-17 were reasonable. My best option right now is a premium 16 with 45000 in the color I want for 27. I'd love to find a good private sale

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Winters coming and people will be letting them go instead of payments.

covid has things stupid high, I’m hoping that means prices will plummet now that peopleall bought and couldn’t afford

I’d like to pick up another one myself (a gt) one day
Sponsored