Sponsored

What factory options are upgradable from a 2020 base GT later if wanted.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I am in the market for a GT over winter. I've keeping my eyes out for a good deal. My plan was to get into a 15-17 premium in the mid 20's and start modifying it and having some fun as the warranty would run out. As many have noticed used car prices are pretty mind blowing especially from Carvana which seems to own about 50% of the GT's out there.

So a local dealer did say he can get me in a Base 2020 the color and trans I want for $31000. I never thought that to be possible. The premiums he has are pretty high though. 8 to 10 more. So my question is, how many options could I upgrade in the future if I feel I was really missing them, such as leather seats, Heated seats, premium sync radio, active exhaust, digital dash, and other things I would be missing.
Get what you want the first time. Most of that stuff is very challenging to upgrade later.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
buy it built with features. Isn’t worth any savings doing it yourself
That would be fine . . . if you could get only the features you do want without getting anything you're opposed to having. It's completely OK to realize that some popular feature is still all wrong for you.

At least where you're not forced to get more than a couple of things you wouldn't ever be likely to use just to get the one or two things that you would.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Over the years I’ve read far more “buyers remorse” threads/posts of folks who wanted something they didn’t get have versus wanting to get rid of something they had.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That would be fine . . . if you could get only the features you do want without getting anything you're opposed to having. It's completely OK to realize that some popular feature is still all wrong for you.

At least where you're not forced to get more than a couple of things you wouldn't ever be likely to use just to get the one or two things that you would.

Norm
There is got to have, nice to have, don't care, don't want, deal breaker. Like for me a CVT and sunroofs are deal breakers in sporty cars. Auto is a don't want (used to be a deal breaker). Better seats and stereo are nice to have.

My buddy has a Premium GT PP and I have a standard GT PP. So I often get back to back comparisons. When I bought mine there was nothing in the Premium package that was must have, and the price increase was too high for the nice to have. Still feel the same way after riding in his premium and mine back to back.

Now I agree, upgrading it after you buy it is probably not worth it for OEM features, because they tend not to be setup or priced for it. But remember there are sometimes aftermarket options, and paying more for a OE upgrade is wasted money if you then replace that part with an aftermarket one (current pricing for the Performance Package might make aftermarket a better choice). And if its just nice to have, is it worth the extra cost to you?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you buy a base GT, enjoy it for what it is. Unless you plan on keeping it for a long time, mods will only decrease resale value and make it harder to sell.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There is got to have, nice to have, don't care, don't want, deal breaker. Like for me a CVT and sunroofs are deal breakers in sporty cars. Auto is a don't want (used to be a deal breaker). Better seats and stereo are nice to have.

My buddy has a Premium GT PP and I have a standard GT PP. So I often get back to back comparisons. When I bought mine there was nothing in the Premium package that was must have, and the price increase was too high for the nice to have. Still feel the same way after riding in his premium and mine back to back.

Now I agree, upgrading it after you buy it is probably not worth it for OEM features, because they tend not to be setup or priced for it. But remember there are sometimes aftermarket options, and paying more for a OE upgrade is wasted money if you then replace that part with an aftermarket one (current pricing for the Performance Package might make aftermarket a better choice). And if its just nice to have, is it worth the extra cost to you?
Very well stated.

The trick comes in knowing yourself and being honest with yourself.

Norm

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Couldn't agree more. I've had ample time various premium cars and all of it from 2015-2017 was nice to have vs my base. For 2018+ the only option that I would want is the active exhaust, but I think you can get that on the 301A, minimizing the upcharges.

That said, I got a base, zero options GT. I should've gotten a base GT PP w/ Recaros and regret not doing so from the start. Sure, the shocks, struts and springs would come off eventually anyway, but a lot of the extra expense and work later to add the key PP components (3.73 torsen, Brembos, chassis bracing, bearing control arms, splitter and belly pan with brake cooling) would've been saved. And I'll never really be able to get the PP-specific EPAS and ABS calibrations.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic

So very true. Getting caught up in the new car buying excitement can sometimes close up the logical open mind a bit. Oh Wow, I'm getting a Almighty 5.0, I don't need anything else. Well then over time reality sits in and some things are regretted. I like to instantly run the worse case scenarios. What can easily be changed and what is pretty tough but if want it bad enough it can be done and Nope, just not possible. Then its time to enter the compromises.

Also I always like the idea to upgrade not using the factory parts to be a bit unique anyway. Unless factory options are cheap. Such as I could see myself picking up a stock quad exhaust cheap and fitting on a 16 GT. Plus I like to do some kind modding each year to keep the car a little fresh and give me a stress relief outlet to tinker with.

I think I'm leaning back towards the 16-17 premium range. Also I got a call that the super price for the 2020 base model might have been underinflated with every possible rebate available but I will not qualify for them all. Little bit of bait and switch. I like when situations make my mind up for me.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So very true. Getting caught up in the new car buying excitement can sometimes close up the logical open mind a bit. Oh Wow, I'm getting a Almighty 5.0, I don't need anything else. Well then over time reality sits in and some things are regretted. I like to instantly run the worse case scenarios. What can easily be changed and what is pretty tough but if want it bad enough it can be done and Nope, just not possible. Then its time to enter the compromises.

Also I always like the idea to upgrade not using the factory parts to be a bit unique anyway. Unless factory options are cheap. Such as I could see myself picking up a stock quad exhaust cheap and fitting on a 16 GT. Plus I like to do some kind modding each year to keep the car a little fresh and give me a stress relief outlet to tinker with.

I think I'm leaning back towards the 16-17 premium range. Also I got a call that the super price for the 2020 base model might have been underinflated with every possible rebate available but I will not qualify for them all. Little bit of bait and switch. I like when situations make my mind up for me.
You’ll love a 15-17 premium I’m sure

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

If you get a color that was carried into 2018, you can just get a 2018 rear bumper with its quad tip valence also (or just get the Roush one if you have a premium car).

Sponsored
OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
You’ll love a 15-17 premium I’m sure
I had a premium in my 15 eco. I like the seats fine. Honestly the radio controls were not that great. For that matter the heating and cooling were not that great to just quickly change the temp and location to blow. Sad when I can adjust everything quicker and more efficient in my 1997 saturn. The base heating controls actually seemed to be easier to use. Being I'm looking for an automatic, I almost never used the toggles except for steering. I just always pulled straight back to sport with the lever. I do want heated seats and would really like remote starting. Is remote starting on base models too.

I like the idea of the 18 rear bumper cover if needed for the quad tips. The base bumper looks to be more difficult to modify then the premium cover.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Being I'm looking for an automatic, I almost never used the toggles except for steering. I just always pulled straight back to sport with the lever.
I think you need to do a little additional reading. The "sport mode" on the shifter and the driving mode toggles are not the same thing. That's why many feel the 301A package is essential.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I think you need to do a little additional reading. The "sport mode" on the shifter and the driving mode toggles are not the same thing. That's why many feel the 301A package is essential.
I think I understand mostly about the toggle with relation to turning off traction control and advance track. I did it one time during an autocross. Otherwise I just like the amped up throttle response and much better Automatic shifting in sport mode with the stick.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I think I understand mostly about the toggle with relation to turning off traction control and advance track. I did it one time during an autocross. Otherwise I just like the amped up throttle response and much better Automatic shifting in sport mode with the stick.
Putting the shifter in "S" allows you to use the paddles manually. You need the "mode" toggle to enter sport or sport+ mode.

Edit....

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/question-re-drive-modes-on-automatic.107441/

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Question if you add sync3 can you get the driving modes. If I could would add it to my base gt in a second. I'm thinking getting it at a salvage yard so I could also get a cd player. I miss that on my 19...
Sponsored