Sponsored

What could cause multiple MAF sensors to fail?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have had 3 MAF sensors fail in about 3 months. Codes p0103 and p0104, which are MAF sensor signal high and MAF sensor signal intermittent. My car is stock but I had a E85 tune for a while but I dont see how that could be related to the MAF sensor failures. Its happened with a K&N filter and the OEM filter with the OEM airbox. First I tried cleaning the original MAF sensor, that didnt work and I got the codes again, then I replaced the MAF sensor myself, got the codes about 2 weeks later. Then I put the stock tune on for a while to make sure it wasnt tune related and got the codes again so I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the MAF sensor again. Now a month after that I got the codes again today. Dealer was saying possible ECU issue? I dont know what could be killing my MAF sensors, has anyone had an issue like this before?

First the wrench light comes on and when that happens I cant accelerate over about 2 mph. I read the codes and it says P0103 pending code. I then unplug the maf sensor and plug it back in and its normal again for a while.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't recall how the MAF sensor is wired up exactly, but maybe a problem with the connecting plug or the wiring harness?

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't recall how the MAF sensor is wired up exactly, but maybe a problem with the connecting plug or the wiring harness?
I cleaned the plug with electronics cleaner before the last one was replaced, that didnt help. Cant see any problems with the wiring. The MAF sensors are fine for a few weeks but then they go bad, its really weird and pretty frustrating and also dangerous since I cant go above 2 mph until I pull over and pop the hood and unplug and replug the sensor. When I do this the wrench light goes away and its perfectly normal again for a while.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I cleaned the plug with electronics cleaner before the last one was replaced, that didnt help. Cant see any problems with the wiring. The MAF sensors are fine for a few weeks but then they go bad, its really weird and pretty frustrating and also dangerous since I cant go above 2 mph until I pull over and pop the hood and unplug and replug the sensor. When I do this the wrench light goes away and its perfectly normal again for a while.
Sounds like a wiring or signal issue, and not actually the MAF sensor itself.

If simply disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor plug makes everything normal again, I'd look very carefully at the pins or sockets in the plug for damage, and check for any loose connections on the pins or sockets where they attach to the wiring harness wires. Might want to try and wiggle the sensor plug around while the car is sitting and running to see if you can get the fault to occur.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened again today, I will try messing with the connector to see if I can get it to happen while the car is running. Really weird issue but definitely seems wiring related or possible ecu , not sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My cheap chinese sensor is holding up fine so far, been a few weeks without issue. Worth trying in my opinion

Sponsored

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Likely pin tension at the connector for the MAF.
I did have a lot of tension on it to reach the ford racing cold air tube so I rerouted it and it’s looser now, I’m thinking maybe I messed a connection up in the connector

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a set of different codes yesterday that may be related to the MAF sensor. I got lean codes p0171 and p0174. I had minor rev hang symptoms but nothing major, just the check engine light.

I am not 100% sure its maf related but I suspect it is.

Did you get your problem solved heavy hitter? I re-installed my old MAF and if I get MAF sensor codes again I think somethings killing my MAF's

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Your best bet is to test the MAF plug with a multimeter. Maybe your voltage is too high or too low for the MAF to operate properly.

The MAF sensor works by heating up a filament and then detecting the temperature change via measuring the resistance of the filament.

If the voltage isn't stable or it's high/low, then you'll get inconsistent readings and most likely damage the MAF.

You'll need someone to rev the engine to see how much voltage is generated when you approach WOT. It shouldn't exceed 5V.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-mass-air-flow-sizing.html#:~:text=As with most sensors on,engine, the higher the voltage.
Sponsored