Sponsored

Weird issue

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
Hello all,

Took car for a quick log yesterday, and during the log my belt snapped. This is my 3rd belt in about 1000 miles. Last one that snapped I found belt was rubbing my lower coolant hose. Both were replaced. Don't know why this brand new belt snapped.

So on this new belt, when it snapped, car charging system showed battery dying I pulled over looked under hood thats when I realized belt was snapped. Wife brought me a spare belt I had, started car and a loud clacking was coming from the engine. I was like dammit, towed home.

Got home, clacking was still there. Sounded like coming from supercharger. No check engine lights drives perfectly fine for the block I drove it. I let it sit overnight started this morning and no clacking engine seems perfect albeit I have some coolant under hood, can't see easily where its coming from.

Going to pull the blower this weekend and see if I can find something going on.

Any thoughts what might be causing this?

You can hear the clacking here:
Sponsored

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ruh roh, Raggy. That sounds like you knocking on an engine builder's door. :(

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odd thing is just took for easy drive around block and all seems perfectly fine.

Didn't go wot.

Dont care if I need engine work just want it fixed. Maybe things over heated a lil when belt broke. Now to figure out why I keep breaking belts.

Will dig in further sat.

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Ruh roh, Raggy. That sounds like you knocking on an engine builder's door. :(
:lol: Not that doodguy's issue is at all funny, but the Scooby-Doo reference got me.

Odd thing is just took for easy drive around block and all seems perfectly fine.

Didn't go wot.

Dont care if I need engine work just want it fixed. Maybe things over heated a lil when belt broke. Now to figure out why I keep breaking belts.

Will dig in further sat.
Sorry to hear about this. Hope you get it figured out. Keep us posted.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Was it an RPM belt that broke? Did your car overheat after belt snapped? Could be the belt hit something when it broke and bent or damaged something. Check all your pullies for noise and if anything is coming near your belt. Noise could be coming form many things.

Sponsored

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it an RPM belt that broke? Did your car overheat after belt snapped? Could be the belt hit something when it broke and bent or damaged something. Check all your pullies for noise and if anything is coming near your belt. Noise could be coming form many things.
Yes it was an RPM belt from whipple. I need to find somewhere cheaper to get these damn belts. $130 a piece is too much for them to keep snapping.

Yes I think car was on verge of over heating. There wasn't steam or anything, but it was hot. Hot enough to cause the coolant to boil out of the overflow tank.

Pullies are fine, and nothing coming near belt. Took car for drive around block today and it seems perfectly fine. Really odd. didn't overheat, everything seems perfectly fine.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes it was an RPM belt from whipple. I need to find somewhere cheaper to get these damn belts. $130 a piece is too much for them to keep snapping.

Yes I think car was on verge of over heating. There wasn't steam or anything, but it was hot. Hot enough to cause the coolant to boil out of the overflow tank.

Pullies are fine, and nothing coming near belt. Took car for drive around block today and it seems perfectly fine. Really odd. didn't overheat, everything seems perfectly fine.
Could be a bad batch of RPM belts. Another member here db252 had his RPM belt snap at Whipple Dyno day. He is now running another RPM belt without issue and some very hard road coarse runs on it.
Sponsored