Watkins Glen lap times/videos anyone?

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Performance Package Mustang GT
Wondering if anyone here has been Watkins Glen and what kind of times you guys were looking at in a S550. I could not find anything in the "S550 Lap Times" sticky so figured I would start a thread. I was just there with BMW Club and holy crap that track is fun in these cars.

Anyone have lap times or videos? Its always fun seeing where you stand, and what you can learn from other drivers.

My S550 is 100% stock except for the following modifications:
-Recaro Profi XL & 6-Point Schroth Harnesses (with BK goodies)
-Short Shifter w/ custom extension
-Tires: Toyo R888 (front:295 Rear:305)
-Suspension: Camber Bolt Kit

Here are some of my videos from the Glen:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]KZJDIPtFRyI[/MEDIA]"]4th run 1st day chasing my instructor (with a suspension camera view)[/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]R1UNqf30H-I[/MEDIA]"]2nd run on the 2nd day chasing my instructor (the pedal camera view is off by a few seconds):frusty:[/ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: F0J

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
I have to find a video but ran a 2:14.2 this April in my '16 PP GT on Continental 285/305 and Carbo XP24/12 pads. Rest of car was bone stock.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Awesome videos, I do not live far from there. A couple q's?
Why put in a short shifter with an extension?
Did you purchases track insurance? If so, what does that run?

OP
OP
Lee@BKauto

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
Awesome videos, I do not live far from there. A couple q's?
Why put in a short shifter with an extension?
Did you purchases track insurance? If so, what does that run?
I like to get my shift knob as close to the steering wheel as possible to help make faster shifts and keep my hands on the wheel as much as possible. I purchased a short throw shift that reduced the length of the throw(not just shorten the height of the shifter). While adding the extension made the shifts have a longer throw it is shorter than if I would have left the stock shifter in. Hope that makes sense I think I just confused myself. haha. There is more details about the shifter on our build page (link in signature).

No I have not purchased track insurance because I am stubborn/dumb. Until now I have driven cars that I would have never get my moneys worth out of it so I never tried it. I have seen some very reasonable prices for track insurance, and know a lot guys that said it saved there asses. Next year that is something that I will probably look in too.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Lee awesome thread!
I have a 2016 GT350 track pack. I have a few questions about your nice products.
1) I want to purchase a pair of Recaro profi spa carbon fiber seats, will you seat tracks allow for a direct bolt on?

2) will I be able to also use your billet quick release fire extinguisher bottle mount with the Stock Recaro GT350 track pack seats or Recaro profi spa seats?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lee@BKauto

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
Lee awesome thread!
I have a 2016 GT350 track pack. I have a few questions about your nice products.
1) I want to purchase a pair of Recaro profi spa carbon fiber seats, will you seat tracks allow for a direct bolt on?

2) will I be able to also use your billet quick release fire extinguisher bottle mount with the Stock Recaro GT350 track pack seats or Recaro profi spa seats?

1) Yes, with a couple of options/components. If you want to mount the Profi SPA without sliders/direct-to-floor. The only parts you will need are the R-9184 Drivers Seat Track Adapter(R-9185 for passenger side) and the R-9755 Side Mounts(R-9756 passenger side). This will install the Profi SPA seats and allow the seat to mount in 5 different positions to get the seat where you need it.

If you would like to have the adjustability of sliders then you will need the R-9184 Seat Track Adapter(R-9185 for passenger side) and R-9067 Side Mounts (both pass & driver side). Then you will need to purchase Recaro Sliders part # 0.20.40 for each side.

The R-9186 Sub Strap Mount can be added if you want to run a 6-point harness set up. R-9155 Clip in Lap Belt mounts(included with our harness mount bar) makes the set up easier but are not required. All these products work along with the stock seat belt.

2) We do not have a fire extinguisher mount option for the Recaro track pack seats YET. The only stock seats we have a mount for are the base model seats. We are looking for a local car with those seats to design a mount(anyone interested PM me). The best we have for those seats currently is our Universal Mount part # R-9540 then you will be able to install the quick release mount.

If you go with the aftermarket set up we have the R-2018 Fire Extinguisher Mount which then will allow you to attach the R-9520 Quick Release Bottle Mount.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM or Email me ([email protected]). I am not on here as much as I would like to be so email might get quicker response.

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
Smooth driving man...Love that heel - toe skills. People used to say it was hard to heel -toe with the PP brakes. I love this track but can only race on it project cars and Forza.

What were your lap times and are your tires stock size?

Impressive how them tires held up in the rain and with a base model you have no drive mode choices. So it's upon your throttle input to modulate the car from tail fishing in the rain or snow. Right?

OP
OP
Lee@BKauto

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
Smooth driving man...Love that heel - toe skills. People used to say it was hard to heel -toe with the PP brakes. I love this track but can only race on it project cars and Forza.

What were your lap times and are your tires stock size?

Impressive how them tires held up in the rain and with a base model you have no drive mode choices. So it's upon your throttle input to modulate the car from tail fishing in the rain or snow. Right?
Thanks! Like anything else it just takes practice! I love the glen too. Its not a particularly difficult track, it just has a great rhythm and when you get it right its magic. I just signed up for another event in August there, couldn't resist.

Forgot to add the tire sizes above fronts are 295 rears are 305. I have the stock GT350 wheels. I was just there for fun so I didn't take lap times, I will have to watch one of my videos to get a time.

I love the Toyo R888's. They perform amazing in the dry and do incredibly good in the wet as well. Only downside is they are loud as hell, you can even hear the high pitch hum in the videos. My car only has the steering settings, as far as I know I cant change the throttle mapping. That just means its more exciting! :eyebulge:

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
Much wider tires compared to stock. Makes sense as to why it has a lot of grip and planted during turn in.

OP
OP
Lee@BKauto

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
Much wider tires compared to stock. Makes sense as to why it has a lot of grip and planted during turn in.
oooh yeah. Amazing the difference they make. Main reason I upgraded was to save $$$ on tires since I was burning through them with the stock PP wheels, but the extra grip doesn't hurt.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Here's a lap with my 2013 Track Pack. That was on the old pavement. I haven't had the 2015 up there yet. Love the new pavement. It's still got that famous WG grip. I'll be back in September for the Chin event but it's a fly in event for us chief's so I'll be in a rental car.
[ame]

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
Buy track insurance! One of the local autocrossers buys it for every day he goes, stuffed his leased FRS before it's first oil change.

OP
OP
Lee@BKauto

Lee@BKauto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bkauto.com
Vehicle(s)
Here's a lap with my 2013 Track Pack. That was on the old pavement. I haven't had the 2015 up there yet. Love the new pavement. It's still got that famous WG grip. I'll be back in September for the Chin event but it's a fly in event for us chief's so I'll be in a rental car.
Almost forgot how bumpy it was before the new surface!

I was looking at signing up for that event. Never been to a Chin event. How does the format compare to a PCA or BMW Club event?

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Almost forgot how bumpy it was before the new surface!

I was looking at signing up for that event. Never been to a Chin event. How does the format compare to a PCA or BMW Club event?
3 run groups running 30 min sessions rotate through the day. Last session is 30 min open track for everyone.

Green-Novice with instructors and solo 'yellow' drivers. Passing in the straights only with a point by.

Blue-Intermediate drivers. Passing allowed anywhere with a point by,

Red-Advanced drivers. Passing allowed anywhere with a point by, Very high level of ability and track awareness required for this group as passing is mandatory anywhere. The expectation is the passing driver should not have to lift and wait behind another car for the point by. Many pro teams will run with Chin in the Red group for testing. For example, last event at WG Gunnar Jeannette was testing an LMPC car. These passing rules are all subject to WG's policy of no passing 10-11 before pit in.

We work hard at Chin to make sure drivers are in the correct run group. We do check out rides and coaching sessions to help facilitate this.

You should come out and give it a try. I'm hoping we can rent a Mustang. Obviously just to get us to and from the track.;)
Sponsored