Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
I know there is a topic in the GT350 section (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43792&highlight=trunk) about this but I wanted to post it here also.

I got my GT last week. As I was starring at it in the garage my wife had opened up the trunk to get something out and commented that the carpet in the trunk was wet, sure enough it was. This car was fresh off the delivery truck and came straight home. I decided to investigate further by removing the inner trunk side panels so I could get do to the sheet metal. In both of the "cubby holes" behind the rear tires there was water.

As I washed it on Saturday and sprayed it off today I again noticed water on the carpet.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If I have missed this topic somehow please point it to me. The pic below is of the standing water in the cubby behind the passenger rear tire. Thanks!
Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
The early 05-07 mustangs had a similar issue. Look out for TSBs and in the meantime i would speak to your dealer about it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Fold down the rear seats and remove the trunk liners (as you have already). Get inside car with good light or flashlight and lay in towards trunk. Make sure trunk lid, doors and windows are closed good.

With trunk lid closed, have someone stand on outside and spray the hose at the rear of the car - including the following areas:
Rear 1/4 windows
Back window
Both sides of rear 1/4 panels
Rear taillight bezel
Rear Bumper cover
Trunk lid

You should be able to determine source of leak by doing the above - report back.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Cobra Jet's advice

Comes under the heading "If You want it Done Right Do it Yourself.:headbang:

Fold down the rear seats and remove the trunk liners (as you have already). Get inside car with good light or flashlight and lay in towards trunk. Make sure trunk lid, doors and windows are closed good.

With trunk lid closed, have someone stand on outside and spray the hose at the rear of the car - including the following areas:
Rear 1/4 windows
Back window
Both sides of rear 1/1 panels
Rear taillight bezel
Rear Bumper cover
Trunk lid

You should be able to determine source of leak by doing the above - report back.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
hmmm.. forgot to ask in my response - does your GT have a factory trunk lid spoiler (can't tell from your sig pic).

If so, I'd wonder if the water is coming in from the spoiler holes in trunk lid.

If you do not have a spoiler on the trunk lid - disregard this.

Sponsored

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
hmmm.. forgot to ask in my response - does your GT have a factory trunk lid spoiler (can't tell from your sig pic).

If so, I'd wonder if the water is coming in from the spoiler holes in trunk lid.

If you do not have a spoiler on the trunk lid - disregard this.
Thought the same thing - assuming its fresh off the truck and hasnt done anything it looks like he has the PP on his.

no spoilers with that trim.

Like they stated above, time to crawl inside and do it yourself unfortunately. I wouldn't trust a dealer to investigate.

And even at that with water/trim id request to be present during the repair. Ensure they actually do something and dont just let some 18 year old kid throw caulk all over your trim.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My Mustang is a S197 series,and I had water on my trunk carpet also,before you do anymore work,check to make sure your trunk lid is fitting tight to the trunk seal,when I checked mine I could see daylight inside my trunk,I adjusted the latch so the trunk lid fit tighter to the seal, problem solved.

OP
OP
Dizzle58

Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am hoping to have time to look into this further today. High of 29 so not sure how bad I want to run a hose today :)

Lance
Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

roush_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Roushcharged S550
I also experience water in the same area... Haven't really been concerned about it because i keep the trunk lining stripped out all the time so its just metal back there. But to second your experience. I have it in the same areas.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I also experience water in the same area... Haven't really been concerned about it because i keep the trunk lining stripped out all the time so its just metal back there. .
I would try to get to the bottom of this. I wouldn't want any water in my car. Maybe tape up some paper towel on the sides of the trunk, and then hose the car down and see what happens?

Sponsored

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
We didn't drive ours for almost 2 months after our son was born and noticed water had leaked in during several heavy rains. Taking it to the dealer this week to have it checked out.

OP
OP
Dizzle58

Dizzle58

GTFO_0035
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
I meant to post about this today as an update.

Took it to dealer yesterday and they replaced the entire rear window. I had found the leak before taking it to them because the service dept doesn't handle glass, guess they call someone like Safelite. So if this happens to you and you don't want to make multiple trips to the dealership then make sure you locate the leak before you go. The service manager will then have to take pictures of the leak area, pictures of your car and get it approved by Ford before he can move forward with it. After he gets their approval he will contact a third-party and they will come out to do the repair. With mine he had to be sure that they had a replacement glass before they could come out.

Word of caution, make sure you look over the rear haunches of your car before taking it in. Make sure you point out that there are no scratches in the paint (unless you have scratches in your paint that is). Idiots who did my glass apparently don't believe in putting anything on The car to protect it from them leaning on it. So once I got home under my garage lights I found small micro scratches in my paint. Of course I was pissed so I called the dealership up today. The service manager was very nice and promised to get it into his body shop to have it buffed out. The scratches were only on the surface and not past the clearcoat.

Lance
Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I was just about to make a new thread because I am having the same issue. When I was installing my fourth brake light kit I noticed a pool of water on the passenger side. Thing is nothing else is wet. The carpet and all the lining is dry. I am going to try and find the leak as previously suggested but does anyone have an idea on how this much water could get in here without anything else getting wet?

1203181615a_zpsxcfsqclf.jpg

1203181611a_zpstncvitct.jpg
Sponsored