Sponsored

Want to buy a GT350 but cant drive a manual!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's all a personal decision. Having some experience with it would be a plus, and I cringe at never driving a stick and you trying to leave the parking lot.

If this is one of those you have to buy it now oe loose a good deal situations, just have someone you know pick the car up with you. Get it safe and sound at home and then get some experience with a stick. A problem I see with this is that you are going to be like a kid on Christmas and starting it a lot and idling it. Everything I read about this car is don't do that. If you are going to start it, you really should drive it. And don't honk on it until the OIL TEMP gets to 190. Depending on Ambient conditions, that's a 5 to 10 min caual drive.

Anyway, it's your business and your money and your decision

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I would buy it, I hadn't driven a stick in 40 years and had concerns, but not now. I would suggest changing the clutch spring to the steeda with the adapter and going with the Pedal max throttle control (this will mitigate both the clutch being stiff and the throttle lag which for a beginner can lead to more stall outs,get a local car enthusiast to help teach you, put a battery tender in so in between lessons and before u are ready you don't have a dead battery. Unless you are very slow learner you will be up and running in short order and have no regrets, just a giant grin on your face.
And maybe being more paranoid than needed have someone follow you so that if you stall or have a slow start the guy behind you doesn't rear end you not knowing you are learning, extra buffer and less stress on you at the beginning!

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I think you'll be fine. The torque based ECU helps keep the car from dying via a minimum torque value. If you just ease the clutch out without any throttle, the car will add throttle on its own and take off. It's pretty hard to screw it up.

If you know the basics, use those and have fun. Ease the clutch out until the car starts to move, then add a touch of throttle, and hold the clutch just a ****h hair more out. The car will take off. Then clutch-shift-clutch from there. Easy as pie. The car even has a strategy to rev match the next gear to make changing smoother.

Sponsored

koopatroopa781

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue
You will learn to drive manual by consistently driving it. Sure, you will: stall your engine, and chirp your tires, for your first several days or weeks, but eventually you will get it. My first car was not this nice, but it was a manual transmission. I personally would get it, the clutch is easy on this car, and because of the clutch spring it also feels a bit different than any other manual.

OP
OP
MikenDallas

MikenDallas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium in Black
Could just wait and get a GT500 w/ the proposed auto.
That's true but I do want to learn to drive a manual. Plus I'm guessing it will be at least 2-3 years before the GT500 comes out and I can get one without adm

OP
OP
MikenDallas

MikenDallas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium in Black
I would buy it, I hadn't driven a stick in 40 years and had concerns, but not now. I would suggest changing the clutch spring to the steeda with the adapter and going with the Pedal max throttle control (this will mitigate both the clutch being stiff and the throttle lag which for a beginner can lead to more stall outs,get a local car enthusiast to help teach you, put a battery tender in so in between lessons and before u are ready you don't have a dead battery. Unless you are very slow learner you will be up and running in short order and have no regrets, just a giant grin on your face.
And maybe being more paranoid than needed have someone follow you so that if you stall or have a slow start the guy behind you doesn't rear end you not knowing you are learning, extra buffer and less stress on you at the beginning!
Good advice, thank you

Since-64'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (soon)
Go for it! My first car was a manual a decade ago (granted much less power than the GT350) and I had no idea how to drive manual, my Dad drove it home for me. Slowly I just figured things out on my own and with my Dad helping me. Back then youtube wasn't really a thing --- just look on youtube there are a ton of video's that will help you out.

My only tip would be if you panic in any given situation or become overwhelmed --- just remember, clutch in and brake! I went on a 4500 KM motorcycle trip along the west coast from Vancouver to San Diego two weeks after getting my motorcycle license. Everyone said I was crazy before going. Its all about taking it easy and staying within your comfort zone when your new at anything. Respect the machine your operating and don't be scared, just be smart and you will be fine. :)

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I learned how to drive stick in my GT350, its not hard. Took like one day to learn, had my dad and friend teach me. I would change the clutch spring out first tho, I leaned on the stock one but the steeda is way easier. Basically I just learned how to roll with just the clutch, then eventually used both pedals (rev to about 1500). Sure I stalled it but after the first day, it was very rare when I did. I did grind 1st a couple, but now that is super rare. I think others on this forum also experienced 1st gear pop outs. Do not listen to others saying it is to much of a car, this car does not have alot of torque on the low end which does not make it as crazy as the other 500+ hp options. Also I would not waste your money on another car (beater) just to learn when it does not take long. Yes also [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION] leaned on his 350. Also this car has alot of tech compared to older manual cars, creep assist, hill assit, saves it self even if you don't give enough gas, ect. Now I am able to do everything, including getting real good at rev match downshifting.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
One minor point. Some have suggested it is important to rev this engine out to properly seal the rings. When you are just learning to shift, it is sometimes a little difficult to find a gear when shifting at 7-8K (and I've driven a manual all my life). You can just rev it out and engine brake letting the rpms fall before shifting to the next gear.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
One minor point. Some have suggested it is important to rev this engine out to properly seal the rings. When you are just learning to shift, it is sometimes a little difficult to find a gear when shifting at 7-8K (and I've driven a manual all my life). You can just rev it out and engine brake letting the rpms fall before shifting to the next gear.

Pretty sure engine braking with this car has been widely frowned upon by very knowledable members of this forum. I do not include myself in that category but I do read a lot and stick to consensus as much as possible.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You don't know anyone with an econobox with a stick that will let you practice?

In any case, I'd go for it. The GT350 experience would not be complete without the manual. And what an experience it is.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
The GT350 is a very easy to drive manual despite what some have said here. I just walked out of Home Depot and told my wife she was going to drive us home. She drove it with great ease in stop and go traffic. Go for it you won't regret it!

:cheers:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
you'll be fine. if it's anything like a gt...it practically does everything itself except change gears and mash the clutch. super easy to learn on.
Sponsored