Sponsored

Vortech Intercooler

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Sam, I won’t be in AZ until 2021 full time. We’re retiring in Yuma for winters and will be trailering the Stang to Chandler to run the road course. Between now and then I’ll be modding the car for optimum performance and no “looks /sounds cool” stuff. Once done with performance mods I’ll have it on the Dyno to see results.
You may already be well aware of this, but if you want to run the car on road courses (hard), you will need to upgrade the front brakes. Plenty of posts on that. Also, the stock PP suspension is "sporty" on the street, but too soft for serious track duty. Again, plenty of posts on that too. Enjoy!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You may already be well aware of this, but if you want to run the car on road courses (hard), you will need to upgrade the front brakes. Plenty of posts on that. Also, the stock PP suspension is "sporty" on the street, but too soft for serious track duty. Again, plenty of posts on that too. Enjoy!
I'm running Eibach Sportlines, Maximum Motorsports Castor/Camber Plates and Koni Yellows (adjustables). After the IC then it's on to brakes

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Sam, I won’t be in AZ until 2021 full time. We’re retiring in Yuma for winters and will be trailering the Stang to Chandler to run the road course. Between now and then I’ll be modding the car for optimum performance and no “looks /sounds cool” stuff. Once done with performance mods I’ll have it on the Dyno to see results.
You picked the hottest city in the state. Good luck to you sir

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
You picked the hottest city in the state. Good luck to you sir
We're going to be in the Northwest and traveling the country in my other Ford in the late spring until early fall. Any way we have family there.
jdK0uKwanxwkh3n_1wvREbtnDn6MAPB-M0EEGrCq3IDDuB6C4nZgx9e0NmzVdsa05FUy3Ow-rOwq0JXiw=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
e.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
We're going to be in the Northwest and traveling the country in my other Ford in the late spring until early fall. Any way we have family there.
jdK0uKwanxwkh3n_1wvREbtnDn6MAPB-M0EEGrCq3IDDuB6C4nZgx9e0NmzVdsa05FUy3Ow-rOwq0JXiw=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
e.
Maybe you can get Robert De Niro to drive it down to FL for you, and you can "Meet The Fockers"!

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
If u think the stock intercooler is sufficient then I think your doing it wrong lol. It heatsoaks after one good pull.
So ive got my Garret intercooler which is about 2x larger than the stock unit. Installed it and i have to admit i cant notice any big differences. I installed new high torque clamps and im getting peaks of 1.7 Bar ( 24PSI) so its running same as before.

I do notice the car can seem to hit peak boost a bit more often than before, and if i drive around in sport more for extended periods the car does feel like its holding power better.

So it seems Hellman109 was right its not really a big deal for street use, the stock IC seems good enough for 90% of the cases youre going to encounter on the street.

Though im very happy with my new IC, it looks great, fitted easily and has no boost drop or leaks. Still worth it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So ive got my Garret intercooler which is about 2x larger than the stock unit. Installed it and i have to admit i cant notice any big differences. I installed new high torque clamps and im getting peaks of 1.7 Bar ( 24PSI) so its running same as before.

I do notice the car can seem to hit peak boost a bit more often than before, and if i drive around in sport more for extended periods the car does feel like its holding power better.

So it seems Hellman109 was right its not really a big deal for street use, the stock IC seems good enough for 90% of the cases youre going to encounter on the street.

Though im very happy with my new IC, it looks great, fitted easily and has no boost drop or leaks. Still worth it.
Maybe because I have a larger unit? IDK but I notice a huge difference after swapping out the stock one for my atm one. I cannot speak for the capabilities of the Garrett ic

Reactions: Cxp

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Maybe because I have a larger unit? IDK but I notice a huge difference after swapping out the stock one for my atm one. I cannot speak for the capabilities of the Garrett ic
The Garret is one of the best units available for this car on a stock turbo. They put far more R&D into it that any other company and all their data and testing is available to see or read. Considering they designed the turbo thats in the ecoboost im pretty sure they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Vortech IC update. Since the Vortech install at WOT I am constantly getting at least 20 lbs. of boost. (The gauge is pegged) where before I was at 18 before OEM was heat soaked. After front brakes, down pipe and a custom tune I’ll. Dyno it and post the results. I’m just waiting to get closer to the end of warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Curious if anyone is interested in buying a used Vortech intercooler? i know this is an old post but figured there's some interest here.

No pipes included and the only reason i'm selling is because i upgraded.
Thank you.
What did you “upgrade” to? The Vortech IC will support 1000hp.

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
What did you “upgrade” to? The Vortech IC will support 1000hp.
treadstone tr1245r

car made 1013whp through a mt82 and started to see creeping iats. Would’ve probably been fine but it wasn’t a really expensive upgrade for safety. Plus it’s getting turned up some more this season.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Okay ive not really noticed the heatsoak, as I said I do on other cars ive had.

But i certainly believe what you guys say, as a result im going to try get a hold of an IC and try it and see if it makes a difference. A store here sells the Garret Mustang Ecoboost IC, seems like a good unit so ill try get my hands on one.
The Garrett is a good option. It's going to be one of those deals where you put it on your car and then understand what everyone is talking about. The stock intercooler cannot handle one good pull in my experience, certainly not in high ambient temps.
Sponsored