Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Good info...

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
As others have said, it is not voiding warranties....it is getting a warranty claim denied.

Important distinction albeit very similar.

Good info although I have seen it before somewhere.

Deleted member 35786

Best to wait for the warranty to expire before doing any mods to avoid the risk of claims being denied.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
For example...what is the likelihood of not covering an engine issue with the only mod being axleback mufflers?

Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Best to wait for the warranty to expire before doing any mods to avoid the risk of claims being denied.
5 years of 60,000 miles. What kind of DA advice is that?

Just like the car companies got way out of hand, not doing recalls and the NTSB called them on it, and now you see recalls all the time, Auto makers are again pushing the Magnuson-moss act over it's limits.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
5 years of 60,000 miles. What kind of DA advice is that?

Just like the car companies got way out of hand, not doing recalls and the NTSB called them on it, and now you see recalls all the time, Auto makers are again pushing the Magnuson-moss act over it's limits.
Magnuson-Moss is about tie-in sales; ie, in order to keep your warranty, you do NOT have to use Ford Brand oil, filters, etc.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Magnuson-Moss is about tie-in sales; ie, in order to keep your warranty, you do NOT have to use Ford Brand oil, filters, etc.
The exclusion of a tie in sales provision to keep a warranty in force is what's used to not allow the voiding of a warranty if you install a 'aftermarket' ie: not Ford manufactured, exhaust on your car. Ie- ford cannot exclude you replacing your exhaust with one made by a 3rd party manufacturer, as such, installing one does not void your warranty. Unless they can prove it caused the damage.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think what everyone needs to consider is this:

Car companies aren’t in business to repair their vehicles. They spend time researching, developing and testing parts and setting limits as to where they will reliably perform for the life of the vehicle. People buy the vehicles and push these limits further and further until things start to break. The manufacturers have been trying to chase the rabbit understanding how to recognize modification based failure as long as it’s been a trend for people to modify their cars.

As consumers, we feel we paid a pretty penny for our rides and they shouldn’t fail us. I agree. However, if you tune your car and pop your motor, would it have happened if it wasn’t tuned? Who knows. Maybe the engine wasn’t assembled correctly or maybe you had a bad tune, bad gas, whatever. At that point, Ford would say this isn’t on them and in reality, they’re right. To us, we would tend to disagree and understandably so.

Now - I would agree, installing a catback isn’t going to pop an engine and no engine related failure should be denied due to that. But due to people that change all kinds of crap and then try to hide it pre-repair after experiencing a failure, we are all taking a gamble by modding during a warranty period.

The majority of people won’t experience a problem with long term reliability doing basic modifications. There will always be someone that will and there will always be someone that does shoddy work or is not experienced in driving and will kill their car and then want it fixed on Ford’s dime. Now we are in a position where dealers try to outsmart to consumer to avoid a negative financial impact. It sucks.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This is a nice thread. For the 7% of Mustang owners. That like to keep their cars stock. Makes em feel like they made the right decision.:whew:

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
My warranty has been taken over by Whipple so it's a moot point for me. I hope I never need to claim anything. Evap core is still Ford warranty :cwl::cwl:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Ya are worse the Harley owners. I’m surprised no one is saying you have to have a stage one for your car to run right (a HD bs thing).

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ya are worse the Harley owners. I’m surprised no one is saying you have to have a stage one for your car to run right (a HD bs thing).
Or comes standard with a factory oil leak. Lol.

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The thing I find interesting is on page 17. It basically says the only way they can tell the ECU was modified is based on key turns. I had a WRX before this and it was a hotly debated topic, but my research showed that they went off key turns as well.
Sponsored