Sponsored

Video: Shelby GT350 Ordering Info - Ford addressing GT350 use & heat issues

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Propaganda. Agreed it was made for the dealers but that's no excuse for building a SHELBY of any model level that has a limp mode built in that seems to be triggered when driving it hard-track or street. Per the video and real life, all levels of the GT350 have same drive train, brakes. As a Tech owner, I got a "bonus and unadvertised" aluminum cross brace AND an engine oil cooler when my car was delivered. (By the way, as I was placing order with my dealer last June, I was repeatedly told NO coolers would be available on my Tech Pkg Shelby.) What was the decision making process around that? The video implies that the GT350 and GT350R are equally available and that is not the case. IF the '17s all come standard with the three coolers, we will know Ford knows they *ucked up by not making all three available on '15 & '16 base/tech models. Demand remedy! For those that say buyer beware, remember this is supposed to be a S-H-E-L-B-Y.
Thanks for posting the video GT Dave....
The things you characterized as "bonus and unadvertised" could just have been running changes, just as all manufacturers make. The fact that they may or may not have been mentioned in prior marketing materials is covered in the legalese that all companies use about specifications being subject to change. Would you rather not have the benefit of running improvements - or last-minute changes made after the marketing materials are produced, but before the vehicles start moving down the line? In this instance, your car is better than you expected.

I saw nothing in the video that would lead me to believe that all models of the GT 350 would be available equally, and we don't have the benefit of knowing what was sent to dealers electronically or in print about quantities available or the differences among the models. I also saw no evidence that Ford did anything wrong in the way it characterized these cars in a presentation not intended for consumers, but I do believe that given the available choices, some customers bought the "wrong" version of the car - probably because the model breakdown didn't perfectly meet their needs (e.g., no seat choices) or because a Tech was all that was available.

Now, to the point where we are today. Everyone who feels wronged should stop looking into the past and trying to rewrite marketing materials to suit your current disappointment. I don't believe for a moment that Ford intentionally tried to deceive its customers, but there obviously is a growing and legitimate issue about Tech cars - the ones that are the least-track-capable of the five models. Any time there is this much outcry about a product, the manufacturer has to look into it and see what can be done to fix it. Give Ford a chance to do that, because the company can't afford the embarrassment of not keeping its Shelby customers satisfied. There will be a solution.
Sponsored

ncrisis

NCRISIS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 DIB Black Roof Track Pack
I have been following this mustang from inception. Watching the launch with the new body you all new what you were getting from the get go then the hoo la la came when the shelby came along. Personally I have been waiting for the one up from the GT and so this is how it lines up now looks according to the marketing video.
1. Ecoboost
2. v6
3. GT
4.a GT350 base
4.b GT350 Track
4.c GT350 tech
4.d GT350 R
4.e GT350 R electronic

kind of ridiculous to call out 5 variations of the GT350..... looks like alot of back peddling from Ford IMO.

ncrisis

NCRISIS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 DIB Black Roof Track Pack
You could state GT and GTPP as the 2 flavors... no wonder in 2017 you get Track and R... Tech buyers go hosed for 2015/2016.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line. The Shelby was designed for track time across the entire line. The track option was for more aggressive track use. That doesn't make the base and tech packages "street only".

10 min use on the track is way underwhelming for a track car with or without coolers.

If it's happening now Ford new it would happen and decided to ignore the issue with the 15/16s and look forward to fixing it in '17.

As far as why I picked the tech. From what I was marketed from ford I fit it better. Mainly street use with some track time.

Now I'm being told "if I wanted to track it at all, I should've gotten a track pack". That's is completely the wrong answer. And since it's usually coming from someone with no dog in this fight (ie track pack buyer or non-buyer), it's sounds arrogant and conceited to me.

I expect ford to stand behind their product and delivered what they promised, the "most track capable mustang, ever".

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You could state GT and GTPP as the 2 flavors... no wonder in 2017 you get Track and R... Tech buyers go hosed for 2015/2016.
Hosed? Have you even driven a GT350?

I've pushed my tech pretty hard for over an hour and temps barely moved. Of course back roads are different than running around a track constantly 6k and above. Common since leads one to buy a track pack if you intend to track your car then again common since isn't so common.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hosed? Have you even driven a GT350?

I've pushed my tech pretty hard for over an hour and temps barely moved. Of course back roads are different than running around a track constantly 6k and above. Common since leads one to buy a track pack if you intend to track your car then again common since isn't so common.

Even the video indicates that all GT350 are intended for some track use. Some more than others. Now some can't even complete the minimum events.

Why did Ford hype 526 hp and 8200 redline in all trims of the car, but it seems that the car truly can't handle this.

It looks bad when lesser cars are going to hand any GT350 it ass on the track.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Even the video indicates that all GT350 are intended for some track use. Some more than others. Now some can't even complete the minimum events.

Why did Ford hype 526 hp and 8200 redline in all trims of the car, but it seems that the car truly can't handle this.

It looks bad when lesser cars are going to hand any GT350 it ass on the track.

You said it yourself "some" track use. I wouldn't buy trap loads for home defense.

You buy things for their intended use. Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled with the quick change on the 17s but it hasn't changed my tech pack experience in the least.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You said it yourself "some" track use. I wouldn't buy trap loads for home defense.

You buy things for their intended use. Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled with the quick change on the 17s but it hasn't changed my tech pack experience in the least.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "some" when referring to track use.

What is you expectation? A lap maybe 2.

If most basic events are setup for 20 mins then my definition of "some" track use is that.

The track pack is then for longer more advanced events.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Jim, all cars come with engine oil coolers. Unless i missed something. :headbonk:
Understood, however the engine oil cooler and cross brace were excluded from pre-order description of Tech and Base from Ford/Dealer. The video implies they are not included in these packages too. My guess their inclusion was a last minute quick fix to the most visible defections found before full production and NOT mid year production mod as proposed by Spa2k. Anybody have a '15 or '16 Base/Tech without the brace and engine oil cooler?

Sponsored

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
The guys and gals over in Gen6Camaro have to be loving this! I was shopping a Z/28 after my first MSRP deal fell through. It was interesting seeing things from both sides. I'm sure Ford will come up with a solution.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Understood, however the engine oil cooler and cross brace were excluded from pre-order description of Tech and Base from Ford/Dealer. The video implies they are not included in these packages too. My guess their inclusion was a last minute quick fix to the most visible defections found before full production and NOT mid year production mod as proposed by Spa2k. Anybody have a '15 or '16 Base/Tech without the brace and engine oil cooler?
Just for the record, I did not say the engine cooler and tower brace were a mid-year change. I said they were included from the start on all cars, whether or not they were described in the early marketing materials. Since I ordered my car on the day the Ordering Guide came out, I remember thinking the inclusion of those pieces on all GT 350s was a nice surprise.

I hope Ford will surprise me again by having included the tranny and diff coolers on my '16 Tech, which was completed this week and is awaiting shipment!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Rumors are funny how they morph over time.

Couple tech cars went into limp in 20 minutes... Now everyone is saying that they do it in 10.

1 Track car went into limp and went to dealer to check. AFAIK, we know nothing else at this time. But now certain people are repeating that all the track cars are having problems.

Someone called FP and heard that that they are looking into it and that now equates to Ford is either going to provide free fixes for the base/tech cars and even start putting the coolers in all of them on the assembly line.

I hope it gets resolved one way or the other but people are stretching old marketing materials, rumors and plain old fantasy to suit what they want to see happen.

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Here the skinny, the people that ordered the base and tech pack were more concerned with the radio and seats. Can't blame anyone else for your choices. When a option says "track pack" it means just that. When it says tech pack well then your getting the technology and not a track pack, and base. well your getting the basics. It's easy. The only thing I wish ford did was on the track pack cars would be to make the AC. Radio. And back seat optional. And on the R keep the carbon wheels, spoiler and splitter gt350r specific. With no other options. I would buy a bare bones R or a stripped down track pack in a heartbeat. I have a track pack and I would of loved to have been able to order it without AC and radio and back seat. I installed the R RSD but since the AC and radio are already their ill keep them. I don't even listen to the radio. The engine is all the sound I need.

macinehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
avalanche gray gt 350
Rumors are funny how they morph over time.

Couple tech cars went into limp in 20 minutes... Now everyone is saying that they do it in 10.

1 Track car went into limp and went to dealer to check. AFAIK, we know nothing else at this time. But now certain people are repeating that all the track cars are having problems.

Someone called FP and heard that that they are looking into it and that now equates to Ford is either going to provide free fixes for the base/tech cars and even start putting the coolers in all of them on the assembly line.

I hope it gets resolved one way or the other but people are stretching old marketing materials, rumors and plain old fantasy to suit what you want to see happen.
This is by far the best summary I've seen in this topic! :clap2:
Sponsored