Sponsored

Velossa tech big mouth install without bumper removal

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Has anyone attempted to install the velossa tech big mouth system in their car without taking the bumper off. What I thought was maybe taking the radiator cover off or the bottom cover and sliding it in there.

Also the reason I’m considering installing it is I live in Florida and I’m sick and tired of stopping at a light and seeing the intake temperatures go up to over a 100 degrees in a couple of seconds. Then when leaving the light there’s a huge loss in power. Has anyone that’s installed it noticed a major difference in intake temperatures.
Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I’m not interested in opening up the grill just reducing intake temps so that’s another reason I don’t want to remove the bumper

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There's definitely not enough room to put it in without at least a partial removal of the bumper cover, so at that point, don't risk damaging it and just take it off.

FYI if you don't open up the grille you're significantly limiting the effectiveness of the part for both IATs and flow.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops never got notifications on the replies. Thanks for the info though guys

Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So another maybe dumb idea to not remove the bumper. Really scared of those clips lol, on my 14 I took the bumper off a few times but people seem to break them a lot on the 15’s.

Anyways another idea. What if I take the airbox out stick the big mouth into the airbox then put the airbox back in. I’ve attached a picture of the airbox to see what you guys think.
BFF07D8A-8E6D-4621-BB64-E79F09EE4594.jpeg

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and if so I would probably cut out the opening of the grill from the front. Just get rid of the closed up honeycombs and not cut out the whole section.

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
I openned the holes using a router and a 1/2 in bit thru the back of the grill. This way the honeycomb
holes are perfect. with the dremel you scratch the sides of the honecomb.
removing the bumper is not that bad. there a lots of videos about doing it.

you will notice the difference in IAT...our weather is very similar to lower florida....

If not convince yet ,wrap your airbox with thermowrap. it comes in 12x12 panels.
I did it in my 16. and measured the temps outside the box vs inside heating it with a hair dryer
and was a significant difference.
should be around a post about it ....

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I’ve held off on getting it since the weather has been cooler. I’m thinking in the summer I’ll install that do some demon eyes and whatever other mods require bumper removal. Might as well just take it off once.

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
The Bumper clips are not bad as long as you take your time. I am in Cali I don't have Florida's Humidity but in the summer in my area I see 114 to 117 degree days and with a Pmas my IAT's were ridiculous. The Velossas helped a lot; big difference. They still rise but slower and drop really quick once I hit 45mph and up. I used a dremel and just cut the honeycombs off like bjstang I like the big mouths showing.
Sponsored