Sponsored

Value vs Oil Prices - this could be something

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here's my 2¢.
IMO EV technology is not long to stay. How much is it cost to produce batteries and even more, disposed used ones. I think car industry will come up with better technology to power vehicles.
I'd be curious what you think that better tech would be.

Hydrogen has been tried since the 1970s, both in combustible liquid fuel and fuel cell form. Energy density and energy cost to produce hydrogen are both massive barriers.

Biofuels (ethanol) have been in use for decades, heavily subsidized, but have several challenges that haven't been worked out: still carbon-based, low conversion efficiency (enzymatic cellulose conversion works well in labs but has failed at scale), also limited energy density, and hard on vehicle fueling systems.

People have been looking around for better solutions than a long time. Oil and gas work really well, which makes it hard to replace traditional gasoline and diesel ICE vehicles. But, batteries have overcome more challenges than the other technologies.

Here's the cost/kWh progress in just the past 7 years:
lume-weighted-average-pack-and-cell-price-split_WP.jpg

Also have to recall we are comparing a 140-year-old technology that has had hundreds of billions of development dollars spent on it to ~20-year-old technology that has only recently received major investment. When you couple improved battery tech (like solid state batteries), distributed electrical generation, and recycling capabilities, not to mention re-use opportunities like home backup batteries (which spent vehicle batteries can do quite well), it starts to look like a pretty good ecosystem with network scale possibilities.

I'd be curious what others think is the better tech that is somehow evading the billions of dollars on alternative fuel development. The only other tech still kicking is hydrogen fuel cells, and it seems like a longer shot to me. On the topic of this thread, higher gas prices will only accelerate whatever changes are coming.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
In 2019, Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman said:
“If the world does not take a strong and firm action to deter Iran, we will see further escalations that will threaten world interests. Oil supplies will be disrupted and oil prices will jump to unimaginably high numbers that we haven’t seen in our lifetimes,”

Now, it sounds like the US will accuse him of being involved with the murder of an American Journalist. Salman has already been quick to use oil leverage to achieve goals...I wonder what he will do in this case and how that might push US to even more EV production?

How about the US - and for that matter, the rest of the world - becomes independent of Mid-East oil so we dont have to GAF? A "strong and firm action" would be to do what is necessary to become energy independent while giving this douchebag a "strong and firm" extended middle finger.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Sounds like it's going to be a great summer for burning corn juice!
I like Corn Juice - and so does my Mustang - one of the great things about cornjuice in California is its >85% EtOH all year round

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Hydrogen has been tried since the 1970s, both in combustible liquid fuel and fuel cell form. Energy density and energy cost to produce hydrogen are both massive barriers.

Biofuels (ethanol) have been in use for decades, heavily subsidized, but have several challenges that haven't been worked out: still carbon-based, low conversion efficiency (enzymatic cellulose conversion works well in labs but has failed at scale), also limited energy density, and hard on vehicle fueling systems.

People have been looking around for better solutions than a long time. Oil and gas work really well, which makes it hard to replace traditional gasoline and diesel ICE vehicles. But, batteries have overcome more challenges than the other technologies.

Also have to recall we are comparing a 140-year-old technology that has had hundreds of billions of development dollars spent on it to ~20-year-old technology that has only recently received major investment. When you couple improved battery tech (like solid state batteries), distributed electrical generation, and recycling capabilities, not to mention re-use opportunities like home backup batteries (which spent vehicle batteries can do quite well), it starts to look like a pretty good ecosystem with network scale possibilities.

I'd be curious what others think is the better tech that is somehow evading the billions of dollars on alternative fuel development. The only other tech still kicking is hydrogen fuel cells, and it seems like a longer shot to me. On the topic of this thread, higher gas prices will only accelerate whatever changes are coming.
Hydrogen could become quite promising if a breakthrough in electricity production is realized in the next 20 years. I know fusion is the perpetual longshot, but it certainly may become possible and commercially scalable. Pure EV rollout will be really slow because of how much infrastructure investment is required, and because we don't actually have any good way of recycling lithium ion batteries yet. Like, at all. There's going to be a resource bottleneck as all the manufacturers are competing for batteries. They're a pain in the ass. Hydrogen conversion of existing infrastructure would be much easier.

Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
If refineries sell less gas due to increased EVs they will still have to produce it in order to make all the other chemicals that come from crude. About 40 % of a barrel is gasoline. Refineries make and use a ton of hydrogen so They may be able to extract the hydrogen from gas to use as fuel.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I think the reference is to when politics drives market trends. Ev‘s fall in to that category.

Huh, never realized factual observations of market trends was political. Unless what you're suggesting has no basis in factual observations of market trends, of course.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I think the reference is to when politics drives market trends. Ev‘s fall in to that category.
Yes. I was told about 10 years ago from a Ford engineer/designer that Hybrid and EV's were coming but, not because of market demand but from Government manipulation through regulation. EV has been around a long time but like other technologies, has not been practical. Its still not practical for me and many Americans except as an around town vehicle. There are still challenges to the EV that we face (yes, they are working on it) such as a finite, unrenewable (AT THIS POINT)resource that is toxic (Lithium). Like others here, I dont believe EV is the future, it is the now. When gas and oil are cheap, there is little incentive to develop alternative energies. Government then inflates the price of fossil fuels to make alternatives seem more attractive

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Spacex all those old batteries into the sun!

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I like Corn Juice - and so does my Mustang - one of the great things about cornjuice in California is its >85% EtOH all year round
EtOH is fantastic for many applications, but less so for others and can't be done at a scale to replace gasoline without a major disruption to food production capacity. As a niche performance fuel, hell yeah. As the fuel to get granny to the store and back in her Camry, probably not.

But I think that's part of the future - my guess is there will be a "majority" tech, but other options will persist. Like I said earlier, gasoline production and availability isn't going to materially change until all the new cars sold before 2035 or whatever are at the end of their useful life, so 2060 at the earliest. There might be fewer stations, and many stations might convert to alternate fuels (ethanol) or charging stations, but there will be no problem putting fuel in a Shelby for another generation. After that, it will still be available, but maybe by then it will be "off road use only" or something like that.

Personally I am excited for a world where there are many competing technologies that all do something well. I like the idea of low-smog urban centers that are heavily electrified and carbon-free, even if long-haul drives are still mostly in gas cars. I think we'll see movement toward different vehicle ownership models, where folks who rarely drive more than a few hundred miles might only own an EV, but do a "time share" model on a big, comfy, gas-powered car for highway trips. Utilization per vehicle goes up, cost of ownership goes down, system efficiency goes way up. If you're a gearhead and you love a car, you buy it; if you're not a gearhead and you think a car is an appliance, you rent it. If you're a gearhead and you don't want to buy a car, you might get to experience many different cars because you're renting. This weekend, I get a Porsche Panamera to drive to the lake, next weekend, I get a Hellcat. All kinds of possibilities. I think it overall sounds fun. As another poster mentioned, I think it's a positive bonus that electrification will totally disrupt the political power of the middle east. The best way to deal with governments like those is to take away their leverage over the global economy.

In the end, I'm a guy who lives in the middle of a big city, I own 6 cars (all ICE: 2 V8s, 1 flat 6, 1 straight 6, 1 I4, and 1 turbo 4) and I constantly want to try different ones, so "committing" to buy anything is tough. I absolutely love every car I own right now, so I can't imagine selling any, but I also want a Taycan. It's a conundrum, but the range of awesome tech out there right now should be exciting, not a threat, in my opinion anyway.

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If refineries sell less gas due to increased EVs they will still have to produce it in order to make all the other chemicals that come from crude. About 40 % of a barrel is gasoline. Refineries make and use a ton of hydrogen so They may be able to extract the hydrogen from gas to use as fuel.
Great point - the petroleum industry isn't going away anytime soon, and every manufacturing process uses a ton of petroleum products.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yes. I was told about 10 years ago from a Ford engineer/designer that Hybrid and EV's were coming but, not because of market demand but from Government manipulation through regulation. EV has been around a long time but like other technologies, has not been practical. Its still not practical for me and many Americans except as an around town vehicle. There are still challenges to the EV that we face (yes, they are working on it) such as a finite, unrenewable (AT THIS POINT)resource that is toxic (Lithium). Like others here, I dont believe EV is the future, it is the now. When gas and oil are cheap, there is little incentive to develop alternative energies. Government then inflates the price of fossil fuels to make alternatives seem more attractive
You raise a good point. The EV tech 'til recently wasn't fit to take share. That is changing pretty rapidly. EVs are now what, 2% of new vehicle sales in the US and ~8% of new vehicle sales in EU? Somewhere in the middle in China. It's not a tidal wave, but with each generation, more and more people will make the leap, and at some point the tech will stand on its own. It's worth remembering that the vast majority of vehicle miles driven are not by enthusiasts like us, it's people who think about their car about as much as they think about their refrigerator, and they buy soulless appliances based on price, "styling," and electronic features. Once the total ownership cost of EVs starts to catch up - and it's getting close for high-mileage use - we'll hit the steep part of the adoption S-curve.

I will be hanging on to my M5 and 911 for quite a while, regardless. But I don't see much value in bashing EVs as a category. The ones I've driven have been impressive, and they are a great fit for most use for many people.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110

All good points. Alternative to fossil fuel is not a new topic, it's been around for a long time since beginning of last century(Germany during WWI). However, there're two major factor that oil is still around - easy to produce due to it's natural resource and oil companies lobbing alternatives(read money and politics). As to EV, as you know most of the products that we use came from oil including the batteries. So, oil industry will still be around more or less for a long time. There're few other alternatives to the oil. One as you mentioned hydrogen fuel cell and synthetic fuel. I believe EV battery powered car is far from ideal solution. Here is interesting article about synthetic fuel:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35577611/porsche-synthetic-efuel-clean-emissions-testing/

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
All good points. Alternative to fossil fuel is not a new topic, it's been around for a long time since beginning of last century(Germany during WWI). However, there're two major factor that oil is still around - easy to produce due to it's natural resource and oil companies lobbing alternatives(read money and politics). As to EV, as you know most of the products that we use came from oil including the batteries. So, oil industry will still be around more or less for a long time. There're few other alternatives to the oil. One as you mentioned hydrogen fuel cell and synthetic fuel. I believe EV battery powered car is far from ideal solution. Here is interesting article about synthetic fuel:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35577611/porsche-synthetic-efuel-clean-emissions-testing/
That e-fuel concept is cool. I suppose if it becomes a mechanism for CO2 sequestration also, that's even better (closed loop carbon cycle). When I was in grad school I studied solar energy conversion in synthetic biomaterials. Labs I was in touch with were doing work on algae that actually secrete a hydrocarbon that is effectively like diesel fuel. Because it's a biological product, the end-to-end cycle is carbon-neutral. There's all kinds of cool stuff out there. Next 20 years should be interesting.
Sponsored