DanyYak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Gt, 2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello guys. I hope someone who has gone thru this process of switching to
a AGM battery and then changing a few bms settings using forscan. So here it goes...

I upgraded my battery to a odyssey 96r AGM battery. I was reading a particular thread where there was an lithium battery upgrade and solving the charging issues using forscan to modify the bms settings.

My question is. While using forscan and selecting AGM for battery type that'is closest to my battery specs, then do I change the maximum charge level? It's set to 95

What about the options of selecting how the battery is charged? One of the options is None and another option is pcm or something close to that. It's currently set to pwm, sorry I can't remember the exact acronym.

Fwiw: I'm using a traveler battery maintainer and after 4 consecutive days of being parked , it did not charge my better above 12.9 using 2 amp trickle option with AGM type selected. I was hoping to get upwards of 13..3

Thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hello guys. I hope someone who has gone thru this process of switching to
a AGM battery and then changing a few bms settings using forscan. So here it goes...

I upgraded my battery to a odyssey 96r AGM battery. I was reading a particular thread where there was an lithium battery upgrade and solving the charging issues using forscan to modify the bms settings.

My question is. While using forscan and selecting AGM for battery type that'is closest to my battery specs, then do I change the maximum charge level? It's set to 95

What about the options of selecting how the battery is charged? One of the options is None and another option is pcm or something close to that. It's currently set to pwm, sorry I can't remember the exact acronym.

Fwiw: I'm using a traveler battery maintainer and after 4 consecutive days of being parked , it did not charge my better above 12.9 using 2 amp trickle option with AGM type selected. I was hoping to get upwards of 13..3

Thanks for any suggestions
There’s no setting for LiPo4 batts. You only need to change the setting from Lead-acid to AGM and you’ll be good. Do a BMS reset and you’re good to go.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You don't have to do anything. After a few days your car will auto detect the AGM battery. Mine did

Rob_R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1, SPF Cobra, 23 Jeep JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram
Anytime you install a new battery, your best option is to fully charge the new battery using a 10 Amp or higher charger that is set to the type of battery being charged (AGM or Flooded Cell). That will fully charge the battery. If using the AGM charger setting, allow the charger to go through all of the phases of charging. Then reset the BMS after installing the charged battery.

How are measuring the battery voltage? You should wait an hour or 2 after removing the battery from the charger before putting a voltmeter across the terminals. That will give you a better indication of the stable voltage. 12.7V - 12.8 and above should be good. This is not an end-all test, but rather a cheap and cheerful way of gauging the battery health.

OP
OP
DanyYak

DanyYak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Gt, 2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Thanks Rob, indeed I was testing the voltage with a dmm , immediately after removing the clamps. I just came back from a two hour drive round trip with several hours of the vehicle parked, before returning home. I'll remind myself to check voltage later in the evening and see where it stands.

Would it be ok to set bms charge level to 100 using forscan?

Sponsored

Rob_R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1, SPF Cobra, 23 Jeep JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram
Would it be ok to set bms charge level to 100 using forscan?
I have never used forscan and I do not know what the charge level settings mean. Hopefully someone else will answer your question regarding BMS charge level.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Install AGM battery. Drive car normally for 2 days. Hook up forscan look at battery and BCM settings. The car will have populated the relevant parameters with the correct information.

Charging to 80 or 90% supposedly makes the battery last longer. On lead acid batteries I don't believe it to be true.
Sponsored