Useless (but interesting) trivia

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Here’s the trick to alligator (or crocodile) wrestling.
  1. Most of their jaw muscles are focused on closing and bite pressure. The muscles to open the mouth are so weak a human can hold a gator’s mouth closed with one hand.
  2. Their neurosystem is so primitive, rubbing the underbelly from base of the tail to the neck will render a gator unconscious. Rubbing from neck to tail will revive it.
So, if you ever find yourself cornered by a gator, hold its mouth shut, roll it over, and stroke its belly from tail to neck and go on about your business.
If I'm ever cornered by a gator I'm sure I would have already done my business!😀
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Clydesdale Pegasi brought horseradish from Europe held under their dorsal guiding feathers.
And of course the only thing I question about this is whether the plural of Pegasus is really Pegasi.

So, people find a strange plant growing from massive piles of horseshit and their prevailing thought is “wonder what that tastes like?”

Last edited:

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
Ever drive over a tall bridge and get that uneasy “what would I do if I somehow got knocked off this bridge?” feeling?

This is the Mackinac (pronounced MACK-in-aww) Bridge

A30453A5-4F6D-4672-ABCB-18BB885EDCFD.jpeg

It connects Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to the mainland and crosses at the junction of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. In 1989, a Yugo was literally blown off of the bridge into the lakes. Only time in the history of the bridge that this has happened.
Well as you know, when you have to go, Yugo.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ever drive over a tall bridge and get that uneasy “what would I do if I somehow got knocked off this bridge?” feeling?
try it in blasting cross-wind in winter on 2 wheels over iron grates.

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
And of course the only thing I question about this is whether the plural of Pegasus is really Pegasi.

So, people find a strange plant growing from massive piles of horseshit and their prevailing thought is “wonder what that tastes like?”
What about the Japanese blowfish delicacy? If it isn't prepared exactly right it kills you. Who were the one's who thought to themselves "Hey I think I'll try that."? How many died perfecting the way it needs to be prepared?
Hunh?

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Everybody knows that B.B. King’s guitar was named Lucille, right? But how many know why?

B.B. was playing at a nightclub. It was packed. Two guys started fighting. In the midst of the fight, a lantern got overturned. The club caught fire. Everybody got out safely, but the place burned to the ground. B.B. realized he had left his guitar on the stage. That was how he made his living so he ran back in to get it. Almost didn’t make it out. Turned out the two guys were fighting over a woman. Her name was Lucille. B.B. named his guitar Lucille as a reminder to never do something so stupid ever again. So now you know.

BTW - over the years there were many, many Lucilles. All made to his unique specifications.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The periodic table of the elements contains every single letter of the alphabet except for J.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paul Revere was a dentist.
Thought he was a metalsmith.
[/QUOTE]

...who do you think made Jaws teeth? (of James Bond lore)

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Very good, and surprisingly detailed about the combined effort involved.

For me, "Sink the Bismarck" has always been a Johnny Horton song (circa 1960, so no neat video). Johnny also sang "The Battle of New Orleans" and "The Sinking of the Reuben James".

Norm
...I thought Kenny Rogers sang about Reuben James, for you still walk the furrowed
field of my mind...................:rockon:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Science imitating WKRP. As God as my witness, I swear I thought beavers could fly.

The Time Idaho Dealt With Its Surplus Of Beavers By Parachuting Them Into Its Backcountry | IFLScience

1629992346935.png

Heter believed that solution was to throw beavers out of an airplane. Thankfully for the beavers, a little more thought was put into it before they were jettisoned at 4,500 meters (15,000 feet).

For a start, the beavers had to be heavy enough to cause the parachutes to open, which could be easily solved by upping the weight of the container the beavers were placed in. The next problem was how do you keep a beaver inside a box whilst it flies towards the ground at terminal velocity, and yet make it easy to get out of when they land gently on the ground.

Their first solution was to make the box of beaver food. The woven willow boxes would land, whereupon the beavers would eat their way out of it, somewhat like if your car doors were made of lasagna. However, "This method was discarded when it was discovered that beavers might chew their way out of these boxes too soon, and be loose in the plane, or fall out of a box during the drop," according to Heter.

The next solution was much better, as the animals' lives didn't rely on them refraining from having a snack. One container was placed inside another, and a series of ropes were used, which would release the beavers when they reached the ground and the tension from the ropes was released.

The next problem was aiming the beavers. Unlike human paratroopers, beavers are not known for their ability to control the direction of their descent. Experimenting with different heights, they discovered it was best to lob a box of beavers out of a plane at 150-2,600 meters (500-800 feet).

"This height assures sufficient time for the 'chute to set the box down gently," Heter wrote. "Yet, it is low enough for accuracy in placing the box in the selected meadow, and to avoid trees or other obstacles in which the 'chute and box might become entangled."

Sponsored

Last edited: