Sponsored

Used market dead?

Toploader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muscle
So any further thoughts post 2018 on used market, fancy a cheap GT and add supercharger
I don't usually comment on this type of thread but I think its fair to say that UK used 550 prices are definitely softening now, having previously held on amazingly well since launch. Ecoboost now appears readily available in the £25k area and the GT £30k or less if you look around.

Most of the 'early adopters' appear to have moved on to other things putting their cars into the used market. A couple of years ago before S550 UK availability you would be lucky to see 20 or 30 Mustangs on UK Autotrader. Not so long ago there were 200 or less, now there is nearer to 300 which can only put pressure on prices.

Discounts and 0% finance are out there on new, both of which were totally unobtainable previously. The '18 coming in as well, how long before we see early RHD GT's hit £25k or even £20k ?
Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I don't usually comment on this type of thread but I think its fair to say that UK used 550 prices are definitely softening now, having previously held on amazingly well since launch. Ecoboost now appears readily available in the £25k area and the GT £30k or less if you look around.

Most of the 'early adopters' appear to have moved on to other things putting their cars into the used market. A couple of years ago before S550 UK availability you would be lucky to see 20 or 30 Mustangs on UK Autotrader. Not so long ago there were 200 or less, now there is nearer to 300 which can only put pressure on prices.

Discounts and 0% finance are out there on new, both of which were totally unobtainable previously. The '18 coming in as well, how long before we see early RHD GT's hit £25k or even £20k ?
Only really matters if your selling your mustang or if you're buying a secondhand one :)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Only really matters if your selling your mustang or if you're buying a secondhand one :)
or buying one to go wild with while keeping your daily drive standardish or buying one for the missus because lets face it she can't drive and will probably crash it anyway :shrug:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
This, depreciation on any car is only an issue should and if you sell.

For those after second hand bargains the cars will hit rock bottom as they fall out of warranty so around 3yr old, so those considering a used one at bottom price buy when 3yr-4yr old with average to high mileage.

Those who took the 5yr warranty option will depreciate less.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I don't think Ford is giving the dealers any help with discounts, so they're having to take the hit themselves. I suspect as the 2018 cars loom they'll end up having to register the new stock (which apparently there's a lot of) themselves and sell off as discounted ex-demos etc.

Am I right in recalling that the cars were touted as being sold-to-order at first? Clearly this wasn't the case as dealers ended up getting loads of stock in themselves, which they're clearly having trouble shifting.

New car sales have crashed this year, which is bound to have a knock on effect on second hand values of most cars shortly.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If '2/3 year old Mustangs are still hitting £30k then I'd say that's fairly good going.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Regarding having trouble shifting...I saw a used 2016 black auto GT in Guildford yesterday, 10k miles. Reduced from £35k to £33k, pretty good deal for anyone looking.

Toploader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muscle
Am I right in recalling that the cars were touted as being sold-to-order at first? Clearly this wasn't the case as dealers ended up getting loads of stock in themselves, which they're clearly having trouble shifting.
When the original UK prices were announced there was strong interest and Ford played on that to their advantage which is understandable. A couple of years down the line things look a bit different. My nearest Fordstore had a whole line of new unsold, unregistered Mustangs when I last called in about a month ago.

It could be an odd time for the car here in the UK. Ford have been a bit cheeky IMO with several list price increases since launch making it a little less of a bargain than it was ( £29,995 Ecoboost and £32,995 V8 seems a long way back now ! ) which may have deterred some would be new buyers and in turn further helped to hold used prices up. The '18 will move the new price up further. Will that help early ones retain value or will they drop ?

Depreciation is of no interest to me, but its interesting to see where used ones could head.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When the original UK prices were announced there was strong interest and Ford played on that to their advantage which is understandable. A couple of years down the line things look a bit different. My nearest Fordstore had a whole line of new unsold unregistered Mustangs when I last called in about a month ago.

It could be an odd time for the car here in the UK. Ford have been a bit cheeky with list price increases since launch IMO, which in turn has surely helped to hold used prices up so far. The '18 will move the price up further. Will that help early ones retain value or will they drop ?

Depreciation is of no interest to me, but its interesting to see where used ones could head.
originally only 2k were meant to come to the UK, obviously interest was that great ford mass sold. Which is a bit unfortunate for those of us in the earlier batches of orders.

Had a lil story told to me from another owner who met a random owner in a car park, asked him to join groups etc, the owner didn't have a clue what engine was in the car, or what mods were on it. It was a CO EBM with a 350 track pack spoiler, cold air intake and some other mods.

Sponsored

Snap On Pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
S550GT 2017MY Grabber Blue
Evans Hallshaw have a 67 plate with only 150 miles on the clock £ 34’990. Got to be the cheapest nearly new GT. If it had been Grabber blue , I would have been very tempted.

https://img.pistonheads.com/Fullsiz...dr/ford-mustang-5-0-v8-gt-2dr-262066639-1.jpg
I bought my BRAND NEW fully loaded Grabber Blue GT Auto, which is dearer of course, for not a lot more money..so deals to be had... Go get one..! ;)

(Let me know if you want details Ian..)

[/url]20180102_103741 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156857217@N06/, on Flickr[/IMG]

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
I bought my BRAND NEW fully loaded Grabber Blue GT Auto, which is dearer of course, for not a lot more money..so deals to be had... Go get one..! ;)

(Let me know if you want details Ian..)

[/url]20180102_103741 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156857217@N06/, on Flickr[/IMG]
I’m stuck between a rock & A hard place at the moment. Unfortunately my funds for a Mustang are tied up until until Sept/Oct this year. This gives me time to sort out what I want. My heart was set on a Grabber blue GT with a manual box, but now, not so sure as I now have a liking for Orange Fury on the new model.

So my dilemma is, wait and pick up a deal on one of the last Grabber blue GT’s or put a order in for a new one in Orange, this would obviously eat into more of my availability funds......a bit of head scratching for me I think :doh:
Sponsored