Sponsored

Used market dead?

Toploader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muscle
remember this depreciation is only ever an issue if you sell.
Won't argue with that. But in reality and for a multitude of reasons not so many people appear to be keeping their S550's long term. So many names have come and gone on the various forums alone where people have sold up.

Just how many of the original UK S550 buyers still have their car ?

Ford have now opened the taps to clear the '17's with money off and 0% PCP. Look at the figures and it won't make sense to many to be dropping large cash on a used one, I know it wouldn't for me.

As for the '18 I think its a brave move standing a premium price tag on it for UK / Europe. I know there's the 10 speed and all but its not such a massively different car to the '17 S550.
Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
They're still not offering anything like the deals on the rest of the range though so not trying that hard to shift 2017s. They aren't exactly slashing the prices of used ones either.

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
I’ve got to hang on for a while yet, so may try and go for an 18 plate on the current version.

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I have mine and will be keeping it. Best car I’ve ever owned

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
New Mustang sales might slow down now due the price - would make the car a bit rarer and help used car values

Sponsored

Toploader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muscle
For anyone seriously looking to buy an S550 Fords current 0% PCP must make a new car look appealing vs used. Personally I would look at maximum initial deposit then the monthly payments are silly low. Example - GT V8 no options, £13333.25 initial deposit, 36 months at £179.94 with 6k annual mileage, final Payment £18,284. That's at list without any discounts so I guess there's scope to get these figures down a bit on a '17 if you can nail some money off.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Bit worrying that Ford thinks the car will only be worth £18k in thee years

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Bit worrying that Ford thinks the car will only be worth £18k in thee years
Yes but also remember the final payment is a worse case outcome. So they believe 18k to be the absolute bottom for a 3yr old car.

I think the lowest a GT has sold for, real money trading hands so far has being 26k which was for one of the first cars with around 40k miles.

Cars always take their biggest hit once they are 3yr old, due to warranty being over, hence why the extended 5yr warranty was a great deal, anyone who took that it should help boost used values.

I'd summarise if the market remains as is now, 3yr old cars with under 30k miles will be selling for around 22-25k, only those with mega high miles (60k plus) will be selling around 20k.

It is always worse case scenario for the final balloon as new rules are that the buyer must never owe any money at the end of the term if he/she wishes to simply hand the car back, so they use a worse case scenario to leave the buyer with positive equity in the car as they like to do that so they have a deposit for the next purchase.

I also think the S550 will eventually hit a bottom, used cars don't just keeping going down and down and down until they are free, they all reach a bottom. I seriously doubt the S550 will ever drop to under 12k for an EB and to 15k for a GT, I think it is fair to say those would be the bottoms in value for 5yr or older models and those bottoms may never be reached. Plus if Ford for whatever crazy reason ditch V8's on future models, then the GT's would rocket in value. The future is an unknown.

Those who will keep the cars depreciation is never an issue and I'd not be surprised that once they are 15 years old they will be worth as much as they were new or even more.

Look at E46 M3 values, the good quality ones are rocketing in pricing as the market is full of so much crap and even the crap is selling at some high prices. It is crazy to think that just over 2 years ago some nice M3's were trading hands for 5k, I paid 6k for mine 5 years ago, albeit I've done a lot of work to it bringing it to the car it is today, but I've had random people message me on FB groups and forums offering close to 20k for a car I am not even selling.

At some point the S550 GT will reach this status, I say GT because the EB will never be considering special enough or a true Mustang to attain such status. Anyone who imports a GT 350 now and if they can get it over for 60-70k, I bet in ten years time it will be worth double that. As I seriously doubt we will see another such highly strung NA V8 again, especially one with FPC.

The used market, collectors are going wild for big engine NA cars, E46 M3, E92 M3, Porsche flat 6 NA 911's, Caymans are really going up in values. If Audi ever stop the R8 V10 you just watch those rocket too, but right now Audi will sell anyone a V10 R8 so there is loads of them on the roads and the values are plummeting, you can get an R8 V10 Plus now for under 70k if you shop around, was nearly 140k 3 years ago.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Thanks, yes good point on the absolute bottom and they like people to have a positive equity for a new car to incentivise more "PCPing".

The five year extended warranty was a bit of no brainer

The E46s I believe are more desirable than the E36 and I sold a 20 year old E36 M3 with 136k miles for £17k, albeit was limited edition with FBMWSH but paintwork and interior was not in best condition. The E30s are going for £50k +
I think the E90 M3 will be the most desirable M car in the future bar the E30.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yes good point on the absolute bottom and they like people to have a positive equity for a new car to incentivise more "PCPing".

The five year extended warranty was a bit of no brainer

The E46s I believe are more desirable than the E36 and I sold a 20 year old E36 M3 with 136k miles for £17k, albeit was limited edition with FBMWSH but paintwork and interior was not in best condition. The E30s are going for £50k +
I think the E90 M3 will be the most desirable M car in the future bar the E30.
No, E46 M3 CSL, some are already over 100k. :D

I sold mine for 23k I think, FFS!

Sponsored

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
I’ve just discovered my nearest Mustang dealer (Park’s Inverness) have 16 cars in stock. So, hang on till March for a deal.......bound to be a Grabber blue in among that lot. Fingers crossed .

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve just discovered my nearest Mustang dealer (Park’s Inverness) have 16 cars in stock. So, hang on till March for a deal.......bound to be a Grabber blue in among that lot. Fingers crossed .
A lot of dealers are now also selling off a job lot of stock, midlands bloke has got an order coming for his from "ford stock" which will take 2-3weeks to land, got a good deal on it etc.

Ford are royally fking up their own profits and used market shaving bought in just so many of the mustangs right before mY18 landed. I wouldn't be surprised if ford asked dealers to hold back distributing MY18s until most of their allocated My17s were flushed out.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, the CSL is a nice car but £100k , madness !
Collector shiz now aint they, @f1_gmw just sold his for a fair whack.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, the CSL is a nice car but £100k , madness !
My mate had his for ten years nearly, eventually sold it and used the money to fund a stunning 997.2 GTS, which will now no doubt do exactly the same as his CSL did.

Smart car buying! :D

I just get bored and keep trying different things, though M3 is my longest kept car, 5 years now.
Sponsored