Sponsored

Used 2016 GT with 106K Miles - is this a Bad Idea?

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
OP, did you put a deposit on the car? FreePenguin said the car was showing unavailable earlier today.

I don’t think it’s been asked yet, but what are your intentions for the car? Would you just daily drive drive it easy or would you want to mod it and run it out the back door? If you do want to mod it, I’d pass on the extended warranty and put that money towards mods that you want.
Yes, I put a hold on it and will be seeing it Saturday, all going to plan.

I'm still looking around as well, I contacted the guy with the silver 2015 down in LA which does look nice.... the main thing going against it for me is that it is a 2015 so won't have sync3 and Apple Carplay. I realize that's probably a silly reason to turn down an otherwise better car, but in my previous car I got used to using carplay for EVERYTHING - navigation, music, calls etc., so I'd like to have it if possible. I've also looked at the threads on adding it, but it looks like a bit of a pain.

It will just be for easy daily driving for the most part - I'm not planning on any performance mods. Maybe just a few minor cosmetic/audio upgrades...
It will be my only car and I need something to get me around... while hopefully having a little bit of fun at the same time. :)
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I put a hold on it and will be seeing it Saturday, all going to plan.

I'm still looking around as well, I contacted the guy with the silver 2015 down in LA which does look nice.... the main thing going against it for me is that it is a 2015 so won't have sync3 and Apple Carplay. I realize that's probably a silly reason to turn down an otherwise better car, but in my previous car I got used to using carplay for EVERYTHING - navigation, music, calls etc., so I'd like to have it if possible. I've also looked at the threads on adding it, but it looks like a bit of a pain.

It will just be for easy daily driving for the most part - I'm not planning on any performance mods. Maybe just a few minor cosmetic/audio upgrades...
It will be my only car and I need something to get me around... while hopefully having a little bit of fun at the same time. :)
Trust me
I had a 15, and now 17. Id gladly pay a bit more for a sync 3 premium car. + it’s 2 years newer car

myself after owning 15, it wasn’t even on my list after was hit. Sync 3 car or newer or bust.

I could never go back to non sync 3 imo.I put carplay in my other cars now too. It’s part of my driving experience music and gps etc. all just works

15 sucked balls infotainment

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Considering the investment, you might consider doing a nationwide search. Maybe you can find something 1,200 miles away that is what you want at a much better price point for the mileage. Then you can fly out to see it (flights are cheap now) and pay a grand to have it shipped to you. I'd pay 2K to have the car I want with 50K less miles on it ya know?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would skip the overpriced warranty and save the money. $3k buys a used engine in case something horrible happens lol. The Carmax warranty is actually good, i just don't think its worth it in this scenario.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Holy Moley. So what’s my 2600 mile base’18 GT 6-speed worth?

Sponsored

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I checked KBB and it said that $37k-$40k for me, I have 301a and safe and smart on my base 6mt GT. I would make quite a bit of money there, but I bought this car knowing I wouldn't put a ton of miles on it, I would mod it, and then keep it forever. In 15 years time, it's gonna be fun pulling up on EVs with a loud V8 and Motley Crue blaring on the stereo.

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
Probably more than you paid for it!

NOW we all realize that the smart move would have been to buy a whole fleet of mustangs a year or two ago - would have been more lucrative than money in the bank AND more fun too. 😉

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
Considering the investment, you might consider doing a nationwide search. Maybe you can find something 1,200 miles away that is what you want at a much better price point for the mileage. Then you can fly out to see it (flights are cheap now) and pay a grand to have it shipped to you. I'd pay 2K to have the car I want with 50K less miles on it ya know?
That’s a good point - I have widened my search.
Plus I could stop being so damned picky I suppose. 😏

I have a feeling that unless there is something majorly wrong with the high-mileage car I’m just going to buy it so I have transport... it’s occurred to me that it doesn’t have to be the end of the search, I could continue to look more casually for something perfect and shouldn’t have too many problems selling this one on given the current market!

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
Trust me
I had a 15, and now 17. Id gladly pay a bit more for a sync 3 premium car. + it’s 2 years newer car

myself after owning 15, it wasn’t even on my list after was hit. Sync 3 car or newer or bust.

I could never go back to non sync 3 imo.I put carplay in my other cars now too. It’s part of my driving experience music and gps etc. all just works

15 sucked balls infotainment
Haha - I’m glad it’s not just me!
I’ve used (or at least tried to use) what I think is the same system in a friends’ 2015 Explorer, and it’s just... well, you summed it up perfectly. 🙂

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I can say for a fact that a 2012 Coyote that was rode hard and put away wet lasted 300K and still ran a 14 second 1/4 mile, I would not be scared of a high mileage one owner car.

It's the 3 and 4 owner low mileage cars that scare me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can say for a fact that a 2012 Coyote that was rode hard and put away wet lasted 300K and still ran a 14 second 1/4 mile, I would not be scared of a high mileage one owner car.

It's the 3 and 4 owner low mileage cars that scare me.
Yeah, 1 owner and NON MODDED is a HUGE plus on the second hand market. I'd rather have that car than one with 3 owners with all types of mods on it.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
That’s a good point - I have widened my search.
Plus I could stop being so damned picky I suppose. 😏

I have a feeling that unless there is something majorly wrong with the high-mileage car I’m just going to buy it so I have transport... it’s occurred to me that it doesn’t have to be the end of the search, I could continue to look more casually for something perfect and shouldn’t have too many problems selling this one on given the current market!
I'll say this. If you give up a feature you really want, you'll regret not waiting it out. I found a delicately used Roush RS2, 2 hours from me right when COVID hit so I lucked out timing wise, where you are buying at the worst possible time to buy a used car. I wanted Magnaride, active cruise, memory seats but no way I could give up a Roush for those features, so I have no regrets on the trade offs.

If you are new to the country, then you probably are going to have a tough time showing enough credit history to get a huge car loan. But I don't know your situation. If you got a job paying fat bank and can prove that income level, the time you've been doing it may be less of a concern to lenders. Not sure. But just from a financial standpoint, if your budget is tied to a payment, maybe you should look for some new 2020's or even 2019's out there. You start putting some money down and getting a 84 month loan the numbers may not be too bad. I know it sounds crazy, but most people don't keep it that full term, so the interest you will actually pay over 4 years of that then flip it, isn't all that bad. But you get the much lower monthly payment over that span.

Or... you can buy yourself a beater to get by for awhile until the market gets back to normal and start saving more cash when the time is better to make your move. This is rather unprecedented.

Jimmyt75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt , 79 bronco, 78 f150
Hi All, I've recently moved to the U.S. and need a car, so naturally I've decided a Mustang is the way to go. :)
I've never had a Mustang before and I'm certainly no mechanic, so I'm after a little buying advice here please.

For reference, I'm ideally trying to stick to a budget of under 30k, and after some intense online research my ideal "wish list" spec is:
- 2016 or 2017 GT Premium
- Manual
- Shaker Pro Audio
- PP1
- Magnetic Metallic

As many of you probably know, this is pretty much the worst time ever to be looking for a used mustang - pickings are slim, and prices are high.
So I've put a car on hold to see at CarMax which is selling for $25K and has done 106K miles....

https://www.carmax.com/car/18910755

The pros:
1. It is the EXACT spec I would like.
2. It's (comparatively) cheap.

The cons:
1. It's done 106,000 MILES!!!
2. It does NOT look like it's had much love.
3. It's over 300 miles from me so I have to take a long trip to see it, or pay $199 to have it brought to me.

Before everyone just says "what the hell are you thinking", here's some of what I'm thinking:

Given the price I could buy the CarMax 150k/36mo "MaxCare" extended warranty ($2859), get a full, thorough service, swap out some of the worn plastic parts and get it properly detailed and still stay under my budget with a car in the spec I would like warrantied against any major issues for three years.

I've already learnt that I should take it to a Ford dealer and get them to pull the oasis report. If it turns out it hasn't been regularly and satisfactorily serviced I can return it to CarMax for a full refund within 30 days.

I'm starting to despair at the chances of the sort of spec I want showing up near me with less miles for a price I want to pay in the near future... and since I currently own 0 cars it's difficult to get out to see cars. Basically I'm getting desperate and I need a car right now!

Plus, I've heard of older generation Mustangs running happily for well over 200,000 miles, right....?

So what do you think?

Does this make any sense or have I gone crazy from lack of a car and need someone to talk me down?
Should I abandon this and carry on waiting, or is there some scenario in which it is not such a terrible idea?

More practically - does anyone have experience with an S550 at this sort of mileage, and is there anything I should be looking out for?

Any advice would be appreciated!
I recently bought my 2015 gt pp1 shaker 50th anniversary with 36k miles for 27900 off carvana id keep an eye out for a lower mile car

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I got my '17 GT Premium Shaker/non-PP with 53k miles for 26900 two months ago. There's gotta be more lower mileage vehicles out there for a good price. Not sure if mine was a good deal, but I really wanted a Grabber Blue GT.
Sponsored