Sponsored

Used 2016 GT with 106K Miles - is this a Bad Idea?

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
I can say for a fact that a 2012 Coyote that was rode hard and put away wet lasted 300K and still ran a 14 second 1/4 mile, I would not be scared of a high mileage one owner car.

It's the 3 and 4 owner low mileage cars that scare me.
300K is encouraging, thanks!
So.... what happened after 300K? šŸ™‚

The one I am looking at is definitely one owner, according to CARFAX, so thatā€™s in itā€™s favor.

I have yet to see it in person, I have to assume CarMax are busy PUSHING it the 300 miles up from LA because it is not here yet.
Maybe tomorrow...

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
I'll say this. If you give up a feature you really want, you'll regret not waiting it out. I found a delicately used Roush RS2, 2 hours from me right when COVID hit so I lucked out timing wise, where you are buying at the worst possible time to buy a used car. I wanted Magnaride, active cruise, memory seats but no way I could give up a Roush for those features, so I have no regrets on the trade offs.

If you are new to the country, then you probably are going to have a tough time showing enough credit history to get a huge car loan. But I don't know your situation. If you got a job paying fat bank and can prove that income level, the time you've been doing it may be less of a concern to lenders. Not sure. But just from a financial standpoint, if your budget is tied to a payment, maybe you should look for some new 2020's or even 2019's out there. You start putting some money down and getting a 84 month loan the numbers may not be too bad. I know it sounds crazy, but most people don't keep it that full term, so the interest you will actually pay over 4 years of that then flip it, isn't all that bad. But you get the much lower monthly payment over that span.

Or... you can buy yourself a beater to get by for awhile until the market gets back to normal and start saving more cash when the time is better to make your move. This is rather unprecedented.
You did well - your car sounds like a lucky find, and looks great!

Thanks for the ideas - Iā€™m learning all about credit scores... and that my whole life up until I arrived here counts for nothing now. šŸ˜
Luckily I knew that would be the case and got a credit card immediately!

I could probably find a way to swing a new 2020 if I found something I really loved, but Iā€™m more comfortable playing the long game for now and getting a small loan for something that will keep me amused for a year or two while I build credit history.

If the car Iā€™m looking at falls through I might go have a serious chat with a dealer next weekend though...

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
I recently bought my 2015 gt pp1 shaker 50th anniversary with 36k miles for 27900 off carvana id keep an eye out for a lower mile car
Thatā€™s a good deal!
Iā€™m keeping an eye out, but things seem to have gone a little nuts just lately.

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
I got my '17 GT Premium Shaker/non-PP with 53k miles for 26900 two months ago. There's gotta be more lower mileage vehicles out there for a good price. Not sure if mine was a good deal, but I really wanted a Grabber Blue GT.
Also a good deal, and it looks great!

Sounds like you guys just got your cars in time - for comparison Carvana is currently listing a 2015 GT Premium for $37990!!!
Admittedly itā€™s under 8000 miles, but still...

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I can say this CarMax does a real good job with the used cars they sell.

Better then the dealer and 100% better then any used car lot, or individual offers.

The OP not being a mechinic would be well advised to stick with the CarMax folks.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I can say this CarMax does a real good job with the used cars they sell.

Better then the dealer and 100% better then any used car lot, or individual offers.

The OP not being a mechinic would be well advised to stick with the CarMax folks.
I would agree with that.
Bought my wife's 14 Fusion from them and a week later the a/c died. They fixed it under their warranty quickly and well with no questions or quibbling.

OP
OP

NewAmerican

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
None!
I would agree with that.
Bought my wife's 14 Fusion from them and a week later the a/c died. They fixed it under their warranty quickly and well with no questions or quibbling.
Good to know they stand by the warranty.

I finally got a call that the car was at my local CarMax today so went and got it for a 24hr test drive.

I have a few concerns.

Firstly and most worryingly the ā€œcheck engineā€ light came on and stayed on after driving for a bit.

Secondly there is an annoying metallic rattle from underneath, probably something loose in or around the exhaust somewhere Iā€™m guessing.

Thirdly there is a fair bit of ā€œclunkingā€ going on. As Iā€™m not familiar with mustangs Iā€™m not sure how much is normal and how much is not... assorted bushings wearing out maybe?

Apple CarPlay doesnā€™t work, itā€™s definitely sync3 though, I think it just needs the USB hub upgrading, not a major.

Also the interior is looking pretty tired, a lot of the ā€œchromeā€ plastic is worn away or peeling and the air from the aircon smells bad!
And the handbrake doesnā€™t sit down too well so keeps popping up slightly and causing the ā€œbrakeā€ light.

So... I have to take it back in the morning and am not sure whether to ask CarMax to address the issues and consider it or just write it off and move on.

The other annoyance is that they do not allow an independent pre purchase inspection. There is a 30 day no questions refund period, so I could buy it, get it inspected and return it if it doesnā€™t pass.... seems like a bit of a hassle though and there is no way Iā€™m committing to this without a professional inspection!

I guess I could keep it for 30 days and use it to get around to look at other cars...

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Good to know they stand by the warranty.

I finally got a call that the car was at my local CarMax today so went and got it for a 24hr test drive.

I have a few concerns.

Firstly and most worryingly the ā€œcheck engineā€ light came on and stayed on after driving for a bit.

Secondly there is an annoying metallic rattle from underneath, probably something loose in or around the exhaust somewhere Iā€™m guessing.

Thirdly there is a fair bit of ā€œclunkingā€ going on. As Iā€™m not familiar with mustangs Iā€™m not sure how much is normal and how much is not... assorted bushings wearing out maybe?

Apple CarPlay doesnā€™t work, itā€™s definitely sync3 though, I think it just needs the USB hub upgrading, not a major.

Also the interior is looking pretty tired, a lot of the ā€œchromeā€ plastic is worn away or peeling and the air from the aircon smells bad!
And the handbrake doesnā€™t sit down too well so keeps popping up slightly and causing the ā€œbrakeā€ light.

So... I have to take it back in the morning and am not sure whether to ask CarMax to address the issues and consider it or just write it off and move on.

The other annoyance is that they do not allow an independent pre purchase inspection. There is a 30 day no questions refund period, so I could buy it, get it inspected and return it if it doesnā€™t pass.... seems like a bit of a hassle though and there is no way Iā€™m committing to this without a professional inspection!

I guess I could keep it for 30 days and use it to get around to look at other cars...
OP take it to Advance Auto or AutoZone to read what code it is. It seems like these were hard miles on the interior and probably on exterior. If I was you I would try looking for something newer.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@NewAmerican, here are a few suggestions regarding your concerns on the car.

1. The bad air smell from the AC should just require a cabin filter change. You can even spray the new filter with some cherry or new car air freshener spray before installing it. Here is a video on how to do it.

2. The parking brake issue sounds like it just needs to be adjusted and thatā€™s done underneath in the driveshaft/tranny tunnel. Hereā€™s a video on that procedure too.

3. You could price out the interior pieces at a Ford dealership, trim, seats, carpet, etc. Total up the pricing and use that as a bargaining tool to get Carmax to come down on pricing.

4. As Soulja said above, Autozone or Advance Auto Parts will check this for free with their code scanner.

5. The metallic rattling underneath might be the aluminum heat shields rattling or the resonator (suitcase rattling) in the exhaust.

6. There is some clunking at very slow speeds associated with manual transmission cars.

Hold your ground when you approach with the pricing for the excessively worn out parts and tell them you will meet them in the middle and pay for the labor to install the said parts yourself. That way it shows youā€™re being reasonable and fair. You can either get help here or visit YouTube for those procedures. Itā€™ll also give you a chance to get more familiar with the car. Lastly, how does the brake fluid look on the car? Is it light in color like honey or dirty and black? How about the coolant and engine oil? If theyā€™re dirty, you can get pricing for a brake system servicing, coolant flush and oil change and throw that into the price negotiation.

Last edited:

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
That's a lot of $$$ for that many miles though isn't it? Mine had 35k miles and got it for 25k last year. I was kinda scared with the miles the car had since my previous mustang only had 1,300 miles but I've been happy with it minus a few small problems I had to fix.

good luck though...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@NewAmerican, can you post detailed pics of the interior and exterior? Was the car clean and waxed when they gave it to you for the test drive? Are the tires still good (plenty of tread, no cracks between the treads or on sidewalls indicating dry rot), or are they nearing the end of their service life? If so, price out tires and throw that into the negotiation with Carmax. Hell, the dealers deduct pricing for that on trade-ins. Go get em tiger! Chew their arses up on it and attempt to save yourself some cash.
Sponsored