Sponsored

Upgrade my 16 or trade for an 18?

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If your '16 is reliable, I would not get rid of it. Once the thrill of having an '18 wears off, you will probably question or even regret throwing thousands $$$ into the change, especially if you turn out to be one of the unlucky few to get an unreliable '18. Your 0% loan on the '16 is free money, that won't be happening again anytime soon unless sales of the '19 really tanks which is unlikely. So you're looking at a lot of interest expense, sales tax if you pay that, huge depreciation on the '16.

I did have a '16 V6 and I sold it when I had to replace my other car with a new one. In hind sight, I wish I kept it. I might be getting back in, with a '19 GT, in the next couple of months, but really concerned with getting saddled with a problem car, especially since I don't have any Ford dealers I like around here to deal with warranty issues.
Sponsored

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Look at the total cost of planned upgrades for your '16. Figure 50% back, at best, if you swap them back out before selling/trading the car. Zero if you leave them on. Don't forget to factor in the possible ramifications of messing with the stock computer for the dash install... Weigh that against the cost of upgrading, price, interest, etc. Remember that the value of your '16 will only continue to decrease.

If the features of the new car are worth it to you after comparing the costs, then do it. If not, keep the '16.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Or hold off for a year and pick up a used 18 and save big. I love my 18, but the other car was a 2008 Shelby.
Lee

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If your '16 is reliable, I would not get rid of it. Once the thrill of having an '18 wears off, you will probably question or even regret throwing thousands $$$ into the change, especially if you turn out to be one of the unlucky few to get an unreliable '18. Your 0% loan on the '16 is free money, that won't be happening again anytime soon unless sales of the '19 really tanks which is unlikely. So you're looking at a lot of interest expense, sales tax if you pay that, huge depreciation on the '16.

I did have a '16 V6 and I sold it when I had to replace my other car with a new one. In hind sight, I wish I kept it. I might be getting back in, with a '19 GT, in the next couple of months, but really concerned with getting saddled with a problem car, especially since I don't have any Ford dealers I like around here to deal with warranty issues.
Unless something changed, you can already get 0% on a 60-month loan from Ford Credit on an 18/19 OR the $2500(18)/$1500(19) in rebates.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Or hold off for a year and pick up a used 18 and save big. I love my 18, but the other car was a 2008 Shelby.
Lee
This is a good point, and that's how we picked up our '17... trick is finding one with the options you want in the color you want.

Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
When we got ours last week, Ford wasn’t doing 0%

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
I LOVE MY18, Mind you this is my first ford EVER lol. I say trade her in and enjoy this beautifull car. I love my car to death lol

OP
OP

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
Well I went to trade, Had all the paper work done and was ready to go to finance to close the deal and they told my salesman that they had dealer traded the car yesterday and the transport had just arrived to pick it up. We spent about a hour trying to find another one, but there were none. Then he showed me two Bullitts, but one was ordered by the owner for his dream garage and the other was a special order. So no go.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah! Hopefully you can dump the 16 off at another dealer soon. I wish I could get rid of my junker :(

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well your dealer just saved you a ton of money. The loan interest is nothing compared to the depreciation on a new car in the first couple of years, especially mustangs!

Keep the current car till you've got like 50k miles on it, then consider trading it in, or better yet, sell it to a private party for a lot more than a dealer tradein.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I'll play the old man here.....

OP, take the $6k you have for mods and put it towards the loan on the car you already own. No matter how good of an interest rate/payment the dealer can get you, it can't beat zero.

There's always something new out there....manufacturers are constantly improving so that people will do exactly what you are thinking about doing and trade up, thus they get another sale. But you also get another payment.

My vote is to keep the car. Think of it like this: It would be sweet to have an '18 GT. BUT....wouldn't it be SUPER sweet to have the '15 GT you have now AND a new GT down the road? If you pay off your current car, you can do that.

Just an opinion from a guy who would venture to say he's purchased more cars than anyone else on this board in the course of his 37 year old life (over 100 cars so far).

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I would just mod the '16 a little. Add 2018 intake manifold and tune, some suspension/exhaust mods and you will be smiling + saving $.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What will the 18 do that your 16 won't?

It's a convertible, so not a track car. So the small perfmance advanatge doesn't matter. Is the digital dash worth $5000-10,000 to you?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
And get smoked by a stock 2018. No thank you!
Judging by your posts, you strike me as someone who is highly unhappy with their '15. Can you elaborate as to why that is?

Not being a jerk, but I haven't been around long enough to know what problems you may have had with it.

Thanks.
Sponsored