Sponsored

Updated MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The newly updated MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon has just gone on sale in the USA, Australia hopefully following closely behind. This represents MTM finally listening to the calls for a wide mouth bottle.

PF22.2 Foam Cannon with WIDE MOUTH Bottle - MTM Hydro (mtmhydroparts.com)

PF22.2 Replacement Bottle - 3 Pack - MTM Hydro (mtmhydroparts.com)

Now, I have been running these foam cannons for three years now. The key benefit of these foam cannons over others is the more efficient consumption of the soap solution. This is something I have verified side by side with an older Waxit branded foam cannon, which goes through the contents of the bottle considerably faster. And yet, even with the added efficiency, you still get exceptional foam from the MTM.

IMG-1805.jpg

IMG-3019.jpg

IMG-3081.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

But like any product, there was room for improvement. The earliest versions of the PF22 had a sexy looking bottle……………that would tip over if not completely full of liquid. MTM partially addressed this with the 22.2 update, the bottle reshaped to be wider at the bottom to prevent it tipping over. And yet…………………..it still tipped over when empty. This stems from the heft and bulk of the FP22 cannon body, which is much chunkier than key rivals.

IMG-3018.jpg

IMG-3068.jpg

IMG-3401.jpg

IMG-5630.jpg

Another irk was the lack of a wide mouth bottle to make filling easier. I will say, I have never had a wide mouth bottle foam cannon, so I have always managed with the FP22.2’s narrow opening. The key to success is to fill the bottle with water first, then add the soap at the end. There were also complains of the plastic bottle not threading nicely with the brass foam cannon body, although I have never really had much problem.

IMG-8202.jpg

IMG-2812.jpg

IMG-8206.jpg

With the latest update to the PF22.2, MTM have redesigned the bottle to have a wide mouth and a bayonet fitting. Retooling for a new foam cannon body would have been very expensive, so MTM designed a plastic adaptor to mate the old brass body to the new bottle. Some have complained that this is a half-assed approach, but take a look at the competition……………they are doing the same thing. My only concern would be the durability of the bayonet fitting.

Now, at the moment, in the USA MTM are only offering the new PF22.2 as a full assembly, along with replacement wide mouth bottles. I have been told that there will be the ability to convert an older PF22.2 via the adaptor and replacement bottle. At the moment, I can’t find those on the MTM Veloci website as standalone parts.

IMG-8757.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

IMG-1585.jpg

As it stands, I won’t be buying another PF22.2 foam cannon, I already have two that would be a prime candidate for the upgraded parts. So, in addition to selling the new units in full, here’s hoping the local retailers stock the required parts for a conversion.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The key to success is to fill the bottle with water first, then add the soap at the end. There were also complains of the plastic bottle not threading nicely with the brass foam cannon body, although I have never really had much problem.
My habit has been to add the soap and then the water, D, and then just shake and swirl until the soap is dissolved. Haven't had any issues but I'll try it the other way next time.

As for attaching the cannon to the bottle, I admit, I usually have to undo the first attempt and screw it on again to keep from cross threading so that's good news.

With the latest update to the PF22.2, MTM have redesigned the bottle to have a wide mouth and a bayonet fitting.
I can't picture this, D?

I have been told that there will be the ability to convert an older PF22.2 via the adaptor and replacement bottle. At the moment, I can’t find those on the MTM Veloci website as standalone parts.
Quite happy with my version of the cannon so I won't be replacing mine but I am interested in a potential conversion if it's a good piece of kit. Thanks for the update, amigo.

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Timing! :clap:

Thanks for the heads up, Deyon.
I had all but made my mind up on a Griot's Garage BF302 The Boss foam cannon, simply because of the bottle's wide mouth.

Agonising Agonizing decision, because the MTM (second place, on a photo finish) is commonly available down under in package bundles, whereas the GG is not. (You already knew that!) Not a big deal, but just a hassle if parts are required on short notice from across the pond.

I just got a reply back from Athena at Detailing Shed asking about availability, and

HI Adam,

If something is released in the US, Australia is 1-2 months behind,

Thanks

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I can't picture this, D?

Quite happy with my version of the cannon so I won't be replacing mine but I am interested in a potential conversion if it's a good piece of kit. Thanks for the update, amigo.
The new design uses the carryover foam cannon body, which is attached to the black adaptor which has slots that accept tabs molded into the new bottle. Instead of winding the bottle on, its a twist and click arrangement. I would expect the body is thread locked onto the new adaptor to avoid users from removing it.

22-6.jpg
22-7.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

I had all but made my mind up on a Griot's Garage BF302 The Boss foam cannon, simply because of the bottle's wide mouth.

Agonising Agonizing decision, because the MTM (second place, on a photo finish) is commonly available down under in package bundles, whereas the GG is not. (You already knew that!) Not a big deal, but just a hassle if parts are required on short notice from across the pond.

I just got a reply back from Athena at Detailing Shed asking about availability, and
As you would know, Matt from OG rejected the new MTM foam cannon and decided to dump it in favor of the Griots Boss. The Griots has a few advantages, the weighted pickup tub for example.

This was the comment made by an OG staff member regarding the new MTM -

.........We got a prototype for this months and months ago. When I heard that they had a solution for a wide mouth bottle, I was super excited only to be let down by this. No innovation, no ingenuity, just a bandaid to try to keep up. This paired with no other improvements is why we made the switch to the Griot's Foam Cannon.

That message got 13 "likes"

I can see where they are coming from, but my argument went like this -

"I have been using PF22's for a number of years now and have liked their function, other than filling them up. I do hope that the new bottle and adaptor are sold separately, I have no reason to replace my current units as they are still in great condition and working as well as the day I got them.

As for the design, when MTM unveiled their GHF1 Low Pressure Foamer (garden hose fed), the bottle re-design and the way the cannon head is attached sort of gave the game away.

My observation, I think they should have redesigned the bottle completely, making it even wider from top to bottom to make the thing more stable. The PF22 head is markedly bulkier than other foam cannon heads, so they sort of needed to address that properly. As it stands, the new unit is still too top heavy by the looks of things.

Secondly, the way they have adapted the carry over cannon head to a wider opening bottle is not unlike some other foam cannons on the market, the Griot's included. In that I mean the head with its narrow opening is screwed onto a wide mouth adaptor, that then attaches to the bottle."

I got no responses to that. My point being that the Griots has the same cannon body attached to an adaptor lid arrangement. Granted, the Griots has that weighted tube, and the metering tips which I don't see the point of. But I don't think the MTM is suddenly a crap foam cannon, in fact Matt even commented in a video that the Griots churns through more soap than the MTM.

If it were me, I would simply wait for the updated MTM.......................unless you need one NOW! Waxit used to offer a good alternative, but they dropped it for the MTM.

Sponsored

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
As you would know, Matt from OG rejected the new MTM foam cannon and decided to dump it in favor of the Griots Boss.
I did not know that!
Only just getting into this sort of thing.

The Griots has a few advantages, the weighted pickup tub for example.
I guess this is nice to have, considering the BF302 cannot adjust the foam plane 90°, like with the MTM.

If it were me, I would simply wait for the updated MTM.......................unless you need one NOW! Waxit used to offer a good alternative, but they dropped it for the MTM.
About the only points of difference between these two cannons, from my potential-new-purchaser POV is;
• Griot's stainless head
• MTM plane adjustment (a moot point with the GG weighted pickup)
• MTM is readily available here

I did message PAN (The Organiser) asking when he might be doing a review on the new MTM.
Waiting for a reply.
I'm curious to see if his opinion changes and the Boss and MTM swap #1 and #2 places!

No hurry to buy... new toy ETA is supposedly late July onwards.

Do you actually make use of the foam plane adjuster when using your MTM, or do you just swing the whole unit 90° by hand for those times?

1st world problems.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I did not know that!
Only just getting into this sort of thing.

I guess this is nice to have, considering the BF302 cannot adjust the foam plane 90°, like with the MTM.

About the only points of difference between these two cannons, from my potential-new-purchaser POV is;
• Griot's stainless head
• MTM plane adjustment (a moot point with the GG weighted pickup)
• MTM is readily available here

I did message PAN (The Organiser) asking when he might be doing a review on the new MTM.
Waiting for a reply.
I'm curious to see if his opinion changes and the Boss and MTM swap #1 and #2 places!

No hurry to buy... new toy ETA is supposedly late July onwards.

Do you actually make use of the foam plane adjuster when using your MTM, or do you just swing the whole unit 90° by hand for those times?

1st world problems.
I have NEVER changed the foam plane, I always run it vertical.

jul211.1.jpg

jul218.jpg

Same with nozzles.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
which is attached to the black adaptor which has slots that accept tabs molded into the new bottle. Instead of winding the bottle on, its a twist and click arrangement. I would expect the body is thread locked onto the new adaptor to avoid users from removing it.
Ahhh, now I understand what you meant previously.

I have NEVER changed the foam plane, I always run it vertical.
Ditto, always vertical and the only time I twist the wrist is when doing fender wells. But, the plane does get changed mistakenly by me and I have more trouble keeping the raised mark straight up. <grin> They could do away with the plane adjustment entirely as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

WOW!! That was quick, both the complete unit and retrofit kit are now available from Detailing Shed!

MTM PF22.2 Wide Mouth Foam Cannon Bottle NEW 2024 (detailingshed.com.au)
MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon Kit with Wide Mouth Bottle New 2024 (detailingshed.com.au)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
WOW!! That was quick, both the complete unit and retrofit kit are now available from Detailing Shed!
Yes, it was but again, I am floored at what things cost down under, D. Decided to order the adapter kit and found it at The Clean Garage and even with shipping it was only 23 bones. About half the price of the Detailing Shed so once again, you have my sympathies.

Sponsored

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it was but again, I am floored at what things cost down under, D. Decided to order the adapter kit and found it at The Clean Garage and even with shipping it was only 23 bones. About half the price of the Detailing Shed so once again, you have my sympathies.
The Clean Garage only ships to North Merica. :thumbsdown:

Capture.JPG

USD$16 is about AUD$25.
Our exchange rate is đź’©

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Detailing Shed said:
Please be aware that, as this is a new product, it may initially feel tight and sturdy. However, with regular use, the foam cannon bottle will become more flexible and easier to handle over time.
This "feature" is well described in this video.

Might be worthwhile to wait for the "Job 2" production run of these new bottles! :giggle:

Edit:
After watching that video, I see future problems with this bottle quick-release.
Looks like the manufacturer has taken the opportunity to build in planned obsolescence.
Griot's BF302 back to the top of the wish list here.

Last edited:

50ALM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
IMJOSHV - Car Detailing and Reconditioning Tips said:
I have been waiting a long time for MTM to upgrade the PF22 foam cannon to a wide mouth version and they finally did it!

Not only can you buy this new foam cannon, but you can also get an adapter kit so if you already have an MTM PF22 you can modify it to the new wide mouth bottle.

BUT, is it everything we were hoping for?
Overall i like it a lot, but it does have some issues that I will cover in today's video

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I too am happy to see MTM updating but agree it looks like a bandaid. I have both the PF22.2 and Griots Boss and currently I like the Boss more due to its weighted pickup and easy fill and cleaning access. I haven’t noticed any significant increase in soap usage with the Boss, maybe I’ll run a bottle of water through each and time them to see how fast they empty.

I too never adjust the fan spray beyond vertical, and it’s even more pointless with the metal ball pickup tube on the Boss.
Sponsored