Uh.....Guys?

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Can this be done if I have a TVS? I have an Edelbrock on it's way. I don't have the dreaded tick but I sure don't want to develop it.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The big question is why did Ford not continue to use this setup if they knew it fixed an engine noise?
This. I am still a little ticked (pun intended) that I have to pay money out of pocket for something that should be a standard Ford TSB fix covered under warranty. I am going to check my oil filter before I do this. If I have metal in there, I don't want that to be an extra thing they could blame.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
@Condor1970,
Thanks for being the test mule and providing a write up. I plan to do the same as soon as I change the oil and check to make sure my engine isn't injured.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This. I am still a little ticked (pun intended) that I have to pay money out of pocket for something that should be a standard Ford TSB fix covered under warranty. I am going to check my oil filter before I do this. If I have metal in there, I don't want that to be an extra thing they could blame.
Definitely do that first. I did. I also took it in and had them look at it before I even changed my oil. My tick developed at 800 miles before my first oil change. They wrote up a warranty diagnosis as well. So, mine is cataloged. If anything does happen, it certainly isn't because I added a belt tensioner. It's because this incessant piston slap was there long before I did anything to try and calm it down, including switching to 5w30 and adding a small amount of Ceratec. The dealer knows it, and Ford knows it.

Whenever you do anything, always get it checked out by a service dept first, and get them to write up, and keep a printed copy of what they did. Because you're right. You don't want to give Ford any reason to deny a legitimate warranty claim. Especially something this serious and potentially costly.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Whenever you do anything, always get it checked out by a service dept first, and get them to write up, and keep a printed copy of what they did. Because you're right. You don't want to give Ford any reason to deny a legitimate warranty claim.
I know they will already give me a hard time about being tuned and having an intake. I really hope it doesn't ever come to a fight. I like my engine performance as is, I just don't like the noise and worrying about what might be the cause.

Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Would be curious to know if your tick goes away if you remove the AC belt entirely.

Back when I first got, or noticed, the tick, I cut the AC belt off and ran without it. Made no difference to the tick so I replaced it with another stretchy belt.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Would be curious to know if your tick goes away if you remove the AC belt entirely.

Back when I first got, or noticed, the tick, I cut the AC belt off and ran without it. Made no difference to the tick so I replaced it with another stretchy belt.
Belt tensioner was not a 100% solution for 11-14 guys.

But I will give it a try.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Following. It would explain why the problem is not prevalent in the F150 community.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their forums still have fair share of tick threads.
You have any links? I have looked on YouTube and never found anything similar. But tons of Mustang threads come up.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You have any links? I have looked on YouTube and never found anything similar. But tons of Mustang threads come up.

too many to provide.

just google for: f150 5.0 tick

and you'll also see YouTube results besides forum threads.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Interesting....suppose it could make some sense regarding the impact to crankshaft torsionals as a result of belt tension on the damper. It would be interesting to see if anyone fixed the tick with this and no oil additive. Will be monitoring for a few others to join in the fun and gauge effectiveness. Good work OP.
+1 ... as I mentioned in another thread:
I'm wondering if the ticking noise is indeed related to the AC compressor belt design, that's it's not actually coming directly from the belt or compressor, but instead caused by the way the belt puts load on the crankshaft, and that load affect possibly causes excessive crankshaft or rod side play to create the ticking noise. Why would an additive like Cera Tech cause the tick to go away (with or without the AC on) unless it was coming from inside the engine?

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I want everyone to understand, I in no way claim this to be an absolute end all/be all fix for this problem. In my particular case, it has helped quite noticeably. For $120, you too can try it, and see if it helps. The good news is, if it doesn't help, and/or you prefer the original setup, it is easily converted back. It may have helped for me, and only time will tell. However, it doesn't change the fact that there may still be issues with improper cylinder boring from the factory, or some other design issue causing the piston slap. I think in a lot of cases, the stretchy belt tension on the crankshaft is exacerbating the issue. Because the 2018's have larger pistons with shorter skirts, the issue seems obviously more prevalent, and it's quite possible the addition of a belt tensioner may help, but only to a certain point.

So please, don't take this as gospel, because I wouldn't doubt if Ford has already tinkered with this old TSB in the lab. If it does turn out to be an option they feel is good enough to help the problem, they will eventually let us know about it. Especially when it starts to get too costly for them to keep changing out engines.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I want everyone to understand, I in no way claim this to be an absolute end all/be all fix for this problem. In my particular case, it has helped quite noticeably. For $120, you too can try it, and see if it helps. The good news is, if it doesn't help, and/or you prefer the original setup, it is easily converted back. It may have helped for me, and only time will tell. However, it doesn't change the fact that there may still be issues with improper cylinder boring from the factory, or some other design issue causing the piston slap. I think in a lot of cases, the stretchy belt tension on the crankshaft is exacerbating the issue. Because the 2018's have larger pistons with shorter skirts, the issue seems obviously more prevalent, and it's quite possible the addition of a belt tensioner may help, but only to a certain point.

So please, don't take this as gospel, because I wouldn't doubt if Ford has already tinkered with this old TSB in the lab. If it does turn out to be an option they feel is good enough to help the problem, they will eventually let us know about it. Especially when it starts to get too costly for them to keep changing out engines.
it is actually $107 with 10% off coupon.

I've spent so much time and $ on additives/oils/filters that amount above is not an issue. And if it will eliminate one flavor of tick(s) that would be great.

If I knew my engine front cover had placeholders for ac tensioner pulley, I'd already tried it.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to provide.

just google for: f150 5.0 tick

and you'll also see YouTube results besides forum threads.
I did that search and randomly went through many of the videos and found 1, maybe 2 that had the BBQ tick. It is not as prevalent, considering there are probably more F150's sold with the 5.0 then the Mustang. It could also be that those guys don't sweat the small stuff. Not sure.
Sponsored