Sponsored

TYRE DEBATE

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Hello All,

Raising the all import tyre debate Again - Please don't flame me and appreciate your feedback.

I have a 2016 car which I have owned form new. Today the car had its MOT and I have done 28,000 happy miles form new. Although the car passed i had advisory that I need to replace all 4 tyres and here lies my issue.

When the car was 3 years old i fitted a new set of wheels and fitted Michelin Pilot 4 all round. The wheels were MTT Mrr wheels and are basically 350GT copy wheels. The fronts are 283/35/19 and the rears are 295/35/19. These are the tyre sizes that were recommend via the place I purchased the wheels.

Now, I think I can probably get 305's on the rear but my question is do i go with Michelins again or something else ? normally I would just go Michelin but I have only done 12,000 odd miles on these tyres. I do think the main issue is that around my house I have LOADS of speed bumps and think that this may be the real cuplrit of tyre wear.

So do i suck it up and 4 x Michelin again - And maybe go 305 on the rears, or is there a different brand that has just as good reviews - And cheaper ??

Thanks in advance and appreciate any guidance.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a shame we can't get the Indy 500's over here, they seem to be well liked on the stang - and they look cool ... lol

1677856240636.png

Do you use your car in all weathers ?

I don't, so I'm tempted to prioritise dry grip over everything else when my time comes.

WD :like:

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Do you use your car in all weathers ?

I don't, so I'm tempted to prioritise dry grip over everything else when my time comes.

WD :like:
My car is my daily so is used rain, sun, Snow - You name it. That being said although its a daily its still only on 28k for 7 years old !!!!!

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
for a daily Michelins are very hard to best. I have (and had on previous) PS4 not the 4s as i prefer more wet grip not to mention it gets a big cold up here (no worse than down south to be fair) The Michelins last a long time for the grip they give and considering we have a lot of grunt under the right hoof, tyre life will be reduced somewhat. If you still have your original wheels you could have a winter and separate summer setup :)

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I’ve always been a Michelin fan boy, this time I’m tempted by the Continental sport contact 7s, getting great reviews and well priced

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Hello All,

Raising the all import tyre debate Again - Please don't flame me and appreciate your feedback.

I have a 2016 car which I have owned form new. Today the car had its MOT and I have done 28,000 happy miles form new. Although the car passed i had advisory that I need to replace all 4 tyres and here lies my issue.

When the car was 3 years old i fitted a new set of wheels and fitted Michelin Pilot 4 all round. The wheels were MTT Mrr wheels and are basically 350GT copy wheels. The fronts are 283/35/19 and the rears are 295/35/19. These are the tyre sizes that were recommend via the place I purchased the wheels.

Now, I think I can probably get 305's on the rear but my question is do i go with Michelins again or something else ? normally I would just go Michelin but I have only done 12,000 odd miles on these tyres. I do think the main issue is that around my house I have LOADS of speed bumps and think that this may be the real cuplrit of tyre wear.

So do i suck it up and 4 x Michelin again - And maybe go 305 on the rears, or is there a different brand that has just as good reviews - And cheaper ??

Thanks in advance and appreciate any guidance.
Hi There Harebare… we probably got our cars around the same time back in 2016..
Mine has now done around 37k and I’m on the Michelins

I’ve got the project 6 wheels and I’m running 285/35-19 on the front and 305/35-19 on the rear. Not sure what other brands are available in those sizes, but for me the Michelins are the go to for reliable grip and wear..

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve always been a Michelin fan boy, this time I’m tempted by the Continental sport contact 7s, getting great reviews and well priced
Agree, the reviews of the Conti SC 7's are brilliant. I'd be curious to try those. That said, I think a PS5S is due out soon, isn't it?

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
The only two options for a 305 in 19 inch you will find this side of the pond are the 305 35 19 Michelin pilot super sport and preilli p zero

Having a 20 inch wheel setup really gives you a lot more options.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
I had an M4 which originally came with PSS’s . They lasted for around 20K miles. The Conti 6’s at the time came with great reviews and were cheaper so I gave them a try. Good grip in the wet and dry and I liked them but they were a lot heavier than the Michelins - which may or may not be a deal breaker for you - and they only lasted for about 8K miles. If there’s one thing that you can count on from Michelin, it’s longevity.

chillo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, BMW 840d, Ferrari F430 spider, Ducati!
I'm running 325/30/19 on mine :)
Sponsored