Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Mercedes AMG SL 55 / 63
Weight: 4,300 lbs
Seating: 2 + 2
Engine: Twin turbo 4.0 L V8
Maximum Horsepower: 469 / 577
Transmission: 9-speed automatic (development of 9G-Tronic)
0-60: 3.8s / 3.5s
MSRP: 140k / 180k

Mustang Mach 1 ('21)
Weight: 3,900 lbs
Engine: Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 L
Maximum Horsepower: 480
Transmission: 6 speed Tremec
0-60: 4.1s
MSRP: 57k

I found this Mercedes at my work parking lot and was struck how similar the two cars look, so I had fun parking next to them and taking a few pictures. The Mercedes is a very lovely design and I like how the front tapers compared to the Mach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Lordy I love the new SL. Sadly at that price point I think a 911 is the better decision. Either way beautiful set of cars.
I can't fathom dropping $140k on a car for the 55, much less $180k for a 63, so it's all sort of whatever. It is very pretty, but I'd rather help my kid buy a house or something. In terms of driving experience I don't think I'm missing out on much.

EDIT: I should add this appears to be this person's daily driver, so they are probably detached from such petty concerns as money.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this was my reasoning as well, I could have 2-3 mustangs for the price of 1 AMG C63 or 911 Carrera and in the end I'm pretty sure that the driving experience wouldn't be much better (and regarding lack of V8 and proper sounds, it would be even worse). Not that I would have that much money in the first place, they're cars for rich people.

Sponsored

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Having owned a couple AMG's and driven Mercedes Benz cars exclusively since 2003, I can say they are AMAZING cars. They are WAY more refined and sedate compared to a Mustang. I use to have a blast stoplight to stoplight blowing the doors off Mopars, Chevys and Fords. I finally grew bored of them and when the GT-350 came out I started to be drawn to the high rev'n manually shifted Mustang. I ended up with the MACh1 and that driving enjoyment has returned. The prices on ANYTHING V-8 from Mercedes have gone thru the roof. They have been sued and regulated into halting V-8 production vehicles. I have friends the ordered G-Wagons that waited over 2 years to get them. Turned around and sold them used for 20-50K over what they paid. This whole V-8 thing with Mercedes made me think in today's world how long US car companies will continue to produce V-8's. I pulled the trigger on my MACh1 and I'm very happy to have it in my garage!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The Mercedes is very nice, but only the Mustang grabs at my heartstrings!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mercedes AMG SL 55 / 63
Weight: 4,300 lbs
Engine: Twin turbo 4.0 L V8
Maximum Horsepower: 469 / 577
Transmission: 9-speed automatic (development of 9G-Tronic)
0-60: 3.8s / 3.5s
MSRP: 140k / 180k

Mustang Mach 1 ('21)
Weight: 3,900 lbs
Engine: Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 L
Maximum Horsepower: 480
Transmission: 6 speed Tremec
0-60: 4.1s
MSRP: 57k

I found this Mercedes at my work parking lot and was struck how similar the two cars look, so I had fun parking next to them and taking a few pictures. The Mercedes is a very lovely design and I like how the front tapers compared to the Mach.
The 55/63ā€™s look really nice but I didnā€™t realize how heavy they are. Theyā€™re up there with the Challenger and Charger in terms of weight.

And I love your Mach. Grabber Yellow with all the black accents is a spectacular combo!

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Lordy I love the new SL. Sadly at that price point I think a 911 is the better decision. Either way beautiful set of cars.
If you can fit in the porche lol I do not, I'm too top tall and the driving position is a Hazzard for pedestrians lol

dbhajek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bud
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yeah, this was my reasoning as well, I could have 2-3 mustangs for the price of 1 AMG C63 or 911 Carrera and in the end I'm pretty sure that the driving experience wouldn't be much better (and regarding lack of V8 and proper sounds, it would be even worse). Not that I would have that much money in the first place, they're cars for rich people.
This is only my opinion, the driving experience with Porsche is much better, but it better be, the Porsche was three times more expensive when new.

What the Mach 1 has the Porsche is the sound and the manual shifting.

IMG_9549.JPG

Sponsored

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Porsche was three times more expensive when new.
What the Mach 1 has the Porsche is the sound and the manual shifting.
Two times, at 127k, if you take the S variant of the 911 with active exhaust. It then offers a 7-speed manual transmission as a ā€˜freeā€™ option. It is also 500 lbs lighter, so it ends up beating the Mach 1 by 40sec around the Nurburgring.
That is a significantly better car for significantly more money.

dbhajek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bud
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Two times, at 127k, if you take the S variant of the 911 with active exhaust. It then offers a 7-speed manual transmission as a ā€˜freeā€™ option. It is also 500 lbs lighter, so it ends up beating the Mach 1 by 40sec around the Nurburgring.
Mine is a Turbo S so 3 times

both are way different cars and I wouldn't even compare them. The mustang is old school muscle car feel compared to the Porsche scalpel feel.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
So twins in that they both have 2 doors v8 power and 4 wheels? lol
obviously itā€™s subjective, but I thought the cars, especially the front ends, were remarkably similar. More so than say comparing a S197 to a S550.

JacksonvilleBill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 M1672
I have a 21 Mach 1 and a 19 911 GTS, both are awesome cars and a great driving experience, each way different and better in their own way. I would have a really hard time to pick one of them if I had too.

0b2.jpg

0r.jpg
Sponsored