Sponsored

Trunk leaking??

Navyxrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've had my Mustang GT for nearly one month. About 10 days ago, I noticed the trunk carpeting was damp and a little bit of standing water in the spare well underneath. To be honest, I had never done a close inspection of the trunk before buying, other than looking in it and thinking "435 HP" or something else unrelated to trunk space. I chalked up the water I found to possible dealer shenanigans of someone possibly leaving the trunk lid slightly ajar after showing the vehicle. I inspected the rubber seal, trunk alignment and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I dried everything out thoroughly.

I just returned after a week long trip (not in the Mustang) to find the same - damp carpeting. :mad: Not barely perceptible fine moisture, but damp. I do not have a garage or covered parking (please don't call MPS (Mustang Protective Services) and report possible neglect) and yes, it did rain while I was away. Additionally, I noted a subtle amount of condensation on the inside of the driver's and passenger's window. I know they are related.

Anyone else having this issue? It's probably as simple as needing to replace the seal on the trunk (I hope), and not a harbinger of anything more serious. Any thoughts or similar issues? Thanks.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Sorry to hear this.

Someone post a while back that their rear window had a leak. Sounds like these could be related. Let me see if I can find that thread and update my post.

OP
OP

Navyxrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks, Todd. I tried searching the forums to avoid cluttering the place up with repeats.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Thanks, Todd. I tried searching the forums to avoid cluttering the place up with repeats.
You bet! So far nothing is coming back. I am 100% sure I read a back window was leaking. Not sure if it was its own thread or a reply in another thread:frusty:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My 2010 GT had a leaking rear window. Thankfully, I caught it before the water in the carpet could cause mildew. That's one nasty kind of smell to try to get rid of. Especially in the summer when it is humid.

My dealer tried to 'inject' black sealant near where the leak was occurring without success three times. They refused to remove the window and recaulk. Finally I took it to a glass replacement shop, they pulled the window, stripped out all of the old sealant, and re-potted the window. No leaks since then...you just have to find a competent repair shop and it probably won't be a dealership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Hey Doc.

First off, get it back to the dealership and get it fixed. I went to go in the trunk of my '03 'vert on an occasion, useless other than amp and subwoofer space, so not often opened, and found every surface, including the amp board, etc., growing mold. Turned out the rear windshield was leaking, which is hardly uncommon on a twelve year old 'vert left outside, with no indication anywhere noticeable. Once they find and correct the problem, go to Lowes, or similar store, and get two of the canisters in the link below. Place one in the spare tire well and the other in the trunk, on top of the carpet, but secure so as not to fall over while driving. Leave them there for a week. They will turn to gel. They dried my trunk so much that the mold turned to dust and was able to be removed easily with high suction vacuum. Since you don't have mold yet, get this done ASAP, or you will.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_596771-1000-758.1_0__?productId=50240039&Ntt=moisture+absorbers&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmoisture%2Babsorbers&facetInfo=

OP
OP

Navyxrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I appreciate your suggestions and hard won advice. I'm gonna get on it, get the car to the dealership and get it repaired. Then, off to Lowe's per BadAss03RagTop's advice to put the finishing touches on it all.

Of course, I have to be on the road this week, unable to get it to the dealership for 6 days and it's freakin' pouring out. Grrrr..... I love me this Mustang and hope it's not the start of any longer term troubles. We'll see.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I went to a local dealer (in January)and almost all thier mustangs had condensation at the base of the rear window... The GT I brought home this weekend has water stains in the back rear portion of the well, but was dry immediately after the delivery car wash....

kak2016Mustang

KAK2016Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016Mustangecoboost premiumponypackage
kak2016Mustang

MY 2016 Mustang ecoboost premium has been at dealer for a week to have rear glass R and I'd to fix trunk leak. Second time back: car delivered with headlights so badly mis-aligned unsafe to drive at night. Had recent experience with front rubber air dam difuser coming off--Ford won't consider repair under warranty, and this part "bundled" as a $400 assembly. Quality is Job 1?

Sponsored

ted_naps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The trunk of my 2015 just started leaking. Figured out it was the cable running from the cabin to the trunk lid/tail lights. Not sure how it’s getting underneath the sheathing but it’s letting in a lot of water. Will try fixing it this weekend cuz I know dealerships won’t be any help and will probably just screw something else up.
CA9DBCB3-C377-4420-9AD1-CECCABB6C183.jpeg
7F4E4F0B-76B6-4CE5-AF47-138D4623FC48.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The issue I see is that the harness on your trunk lid appears to be folding over onto the gasket when the trunk lid is closed.

Due to that harness being compressed in between the trunk lid and the gasket, it has left what appears to be a permanent impression into the gasket. The indented impression is leaving a void between the trunk lid and the gasket. When the car is traveling in the rain, the water coming down off the rear glass is being forced into the openings between the trunk lid and gasket which is allowing water into the trunk.

The same would be true if the car is sitting parked outside in a heavy rain storm. The water flows off the glass and into the gap of the trunk lid and follows the path of least resistance...

The harness is not supposed lay over the gasket, it has to fold under the ledge of the trunk.

Another issue that will eventually occur is that I can already see your harness conduit is being kinked which will eventually damage the wires within it. Damaged wires will cause loss of rear camera, loss of trunk lid lock/unlock function and a few other interruptions.

I’ve attached a pic of the same area on my car so you can see the difference between yours and mine.

I would attack the issue in this manner if you’re not taking it to a Dealer or if out of warranty:

1) Fold down rear seat backs; using a flashlight lay in back seat area looking up into trunk toward the direction of the problem.

2) Have someone open and close the trunk lid slowly so you can see what is causing the harness to be trapped in between the lid and the gasket.

3) If the harness is too long, pull it back a little at the area under the rear package shelf. Don’t pull it too tight because you don’t want the trunk lid causing any binding when opened.

The trunk gasket should be replaced because it’s never going to rebound back to normal since it’s been damaged from compression.
61028666-2BC3-4267-AA4A-0B1203B12465.jpeg

The other areas to check for leak IF it’s not that harness area:

1) Base of rear glass; possible gasket or seal issue.

2) Third brake light. A member has posted a DIY into the DIY section. He had a water leak into the trunk and was able to determine it was coming from the 3rd brake light. Fix is to remove the assembly and reseal.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/issue-with-third-brake-light-water-leak.97131/

ted_naps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The issue I see is that the harness on your trunk lid appears to be folding over onto the gasket when the trunk lid is closed.

Due to that harness being compressed in between the trunk lid and the gasket, it has left what appears to be a permanent impression into the gasket. The indented impression is leaving a void between the trunk lid and the gasket. When the car is traveling in the rain, the water coming down off the rear glass is being forced into the openings between the trunk lid and gasket which is allowing water into the trunk.

The same would be true if the car is sitting parked outside in a heavy rain storm. The water flows off the glass and into the gap of the trunk lid and follows the path of least resistance...

The harness is not supposed lay over the gasket, it has to fold under the ledge of the trunk.

Another issue that will eventually occur is that I can already see your harness conduit is being kinked which will eventually damage the wires within it. Damaged wires will cause loss of rear camera, loss of trunk lid lock/unlock function and a few other interruptions.

I’ve attached a pic of the same area on my car so you can see the difference between yours and mine.

I would attack the issue in this manner if you’re not taking it to a Dealer or if out of warranty:

1) Fold down rear seat backs; using a flashlight lay in back seat area looking up into trunk toward the direction of the problem.

2) Have someone open and close the trunk lid slowly so you can see what is causing the harness to be trapped in between the lid and the gasket.

3) If the harness is too long, pull it back a little at the area under the rear package shelf. Don’t pull it too tight because you don’t want the trunk lid causing any binding when opened.

The trunk gasket should be replaced because it’s never going to rebound back to normal since it’s been damaged from compression.
61028666-2BC3-4267-AA4A-0B1203B12465.jpeg

The other areas to check for leak IF it’s not that harness area:

1) Base of rear glass; possible gasket or seal issue.

2) Third brake light. A member has posted a DIY into the DIY section. He had a water leak into the trunk and was able to determine it was coming from the 3rd brake light. Fix is to remove the assembly and reseal.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/issue-with-third-brake-light-water-leak.97131/
I think you were right. It did appear to be closing on the harness. I pulled on the harness so it wouldn't get stuck on the seal and it doesn't seem to be letting in anymore water but ill keep an eye on that deformed seal. Thanks for the help
Sponsored