Transmission swap from 10 speed to 6 speed

MikeyJ97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 3L Whipple 5.0
So as the title says, I’m looking to trans swap my 10 speed for a 6 speed. I know a lot of you would probably ask why I would do such a thing, and yea I know how amazing the 10 speed is, but for me, I do not enjoy driving an automatic as much as a manual. The only reason I got a 10 speed at the time was because it was my only car and now I have 2 cars. Also, the only reason I’m willing to do this in the first place is because my mechanic has a 6 speed that he wanted to swap for a 10 speed so he can race his car. I don’t race, I just like to have fun with my car. So the question is, what all would go into transmission swapping in an s550? By the way my car is a 2021, and his is a 2018 so would they both bolt right in? We also planned on swapping pcm/ecu and wiring harness/dash. We are literally swapping everything to make each car work as if it was stock. The only thing is the mileage on both cars, not sure how that would work out. I would just appreciate some feedback from anyone that has done this swap, or heard of anyone doing it or just know how it would work in general. Just trying to educate myself! I’m new to the game of modifying vehicles so don’t judge!
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I have never heard of a successful auto-to-manual swap on the s550.

I would contact Lund and MMR. See if they can give you any ideas on if it is possible on a stock ecu or what hardware would be needed. My guess is you would need to swap ecu/pcm.

Like others have said it may be best to buy a 6-speed car. It makes it easier on you and easier to resell.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
.......................................🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔..................................

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
This would also probably negatively impact resale value ... of both cars.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
If this were one of my C10 '69 chevy pickup projects I'd say yee haw sounds fun. With this car? Nope. The prospect of doing this is potentially a lot of time and money.

Even if the trans tunnel is the same what would your plan be about the enormous amount of wiring harness and computer changes you'd have to make? All of this is factory and carefully designed to work in unison with the platform, and assembled in a specific way on the assembly line. It's a different design philosophy from the old days, so I agree with others and say it would be better to keep the car configured the way it was previously built by VIN and go with a manual car instead.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
The transmissions will swap and fit no problem. The issue is the electronics. It’s not just wires, you have to integrate the canbus and all modules. There’s no paved path for this so you’d better be willing to do whatever it takes to figure it out and integrate everything. You will likely need IDS and a VCM2 and the ability to use it. I did an Ecoboost to coyote swap in my s550 and it was wayyy more involved than I expected despite having the majority of the modules and all wiring harnesses from the donor car.

OP
OP
MikeyJ97

MikeyJ97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 3L Whipple 5.0
If this were one of my C10 '69 chevy pickup projects I'd say yee haw sounds fun. With this car? Nope. The prospect of doing this is potentially a lot of time and money.

Even if the trans tunnel is the same what would your plan be about the enormous amount of wiring harness and computer changes you'd have to make? All of this is factory and carefully designed to work in unison with the platform, and assembled in a specific way on the assembly line. It's a different design philosophy from the old days, so I agree with others and say it would be better to keep the car configured the way it was previously built by VIN and go with a manual car instead.
We would be swapping the wiring harness/pcm/ecu/gauges from his vehicle to mine vice versa.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
We would be swapping the wiring harness/pcm/ecu/gauges from his vehicle to mine vice versa.
I don't think you're seeing the big picture of the issues already outlined by other M6G members above.

Ford doesn't even make any such swap kit (yet) - that should tell anyone attempting such a swap something ....

Sure it seems "easy" because you have both cars side by side - but the S550 has A LOT of integrated harnesses and modules, which are tied into other harnesses/modules. It's not like there is a designated trans harness - it's all integrated, which ties back to the PCM, engine and body harnesses.

I mean, be real - are both vehicles equipped exactly alike per the As Built aside from the transmissions? I'm willing to bet that answer is no - and if it is no, you're in for a hell of a ride if you start tearing the cars apart.

This isn't the Fox Body days where you could swap hardware between 2 vehicles in 2-3 hours and just drive off.

Modern trans swaps are not as easy as those being completed 10-15 years ago….The modern S550 has a slew of BCM/TCM/Can Bus configurations and software logic, it’s not just “plug-n-play” like it was of years past. You will need access to Forscan and/or someone who has access to Ford IDS for programming logistics, again previously mentioned by others.

You will need ALL of the available wiring schematics to back trace connectors and wiring throughout the vehicle(s), NOT just the "trans" harness.

In fact, there hasn't been any S550 10R80 to MT82 swaps at all (yet) - because of the complexities of the electronics involved.

This was the last (and most current of the time) 10R80 swap thread that contained a bit of discussion:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-swap.93265/

This link provides info for a 6R80 swap into an S197 that had a MT82. True, it's not the same swap, but it gives insight as to what is involved - even the author states in the article he couldn't include the wiring tech because of the complexities. Again to make it very clear - the S550 is much more complex than the prior S197's.
https://frontstreet.media/2020/09/1...-swap-in-the-s197-mustang-changes-everything/

There is this thread where Lethal swapped a 10R80 into a 2003 Cobra - again, NOT an S550, but there were also complexities involved.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...p-coyote-10r80-swapped-2003-svt-cobra.181304/

---
Not trying to shoot down your quest - just saying as others have already, if you're going to do it, be prepared for MAJOR hurdles and document EVERYTHING.... and if you do go forward with it, best of luck - maybe you'll be the first successful 10R80 to MT82 swap.

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
In a thread here in the same section regarding a TH400 swap, someone mentioned all they needed was the PCM flashed to a manual one to put whatever they wanted behind the engine. Wiring for reverse gear stuff was all that was needed electronically.

Sounds like it would be the same when putting a manual in to me.

Maybe he can elaborate? @turnswrench

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
In a thread here in the same section regarding a TH400 swap, someone mentioned all they needed was the PCM flashed to a manual one to put whatever they wanted behind the engine. Wiring for reverse gear stuff was all that was needed electronically.

Sounds like it would be the same when putting a manual in to me.

Maybe he can elaborate? @turnswrench
My content outlines this swap in detail. If you have a 2018 10r80 check out my thread.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have never heard of a successful auto-to-manual swap on the s550.

I would contact Lund and MMR. See if they can give you any ideas on if it is possible on a stock ecu or what hardware would be needed. My guess is you would need to swap ecu/pcm.

Like others have said it may be best to buy a 6-speed car. It makes it easier on you and easier to resell.
It can be done certainly. We have one member wrapping up an AWD conversion with a manual on his S550. If you have the skills or bank, anything’s possible.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
It can be done certainly. We have one member wrapping up an AWD conversion with a manual on his S550. If you have the skills or bank, anything’s possible.
Is it possible sure. But like I said I think you will have to replace the ecu or pcm. That’s a big headache now and if you ever want to sell the car.

The AWD conversion doesn’t require you to replace the ecu or pcm.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Is it possible sure. But like I said I think you will have to replace the ecu or pcm. That’s a big headache now and if you ever want to sell the car.

The AWD conversion doesn’t require you to replace the ecu or pcm.
No one who would consider doing an auto to manual conversion will be concerned with resale value, or let me say, should be concerned with resale. That big of a mod fast tracks the car to race only for the next owner I would think.
Sponsored