Sponsored

Transmission Noise Through Shifter

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Actually the Barton that is body mounted IS quieter than the factory POS shifter, plus it's precise and does not lock you out of 3rd. Check my website, I do not sell them, I just run them. :cheers:
Didn't know about that the Barton and the body mount option to know how it worked. The brand I went with omits the front bushing where the arm attaches, so it's aluminum mounted to aluminum. Basically a stethoscope to transmit every noise the transmission makes for my listening pleasure.
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Didn't know about that the Barton and the body mount option to know how it worked. The brand I went with omits the front bushing where the arm attaches, so it's aluminum mounted to aluminum. Basically a stethoscope to transmit every noise the transmission makes for my listening pleasure.
Which brand you use?

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP

alwayshungry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RACE RED GT PP

I am also annoyed by the vibration form the shifter/reverse lockout. It just adds on top of the whine an driveline slop. The link above shows the gt350 shifter has strips of foam weaved between the lock out spring. Might be worth trying this to see if it helps.

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Dec/16 Update...

Since the stealer pooh-poohed my concern, I installed a hybrid body/tranny -mounted BARTON SS, which eliminated the noise from the reverse lock-out collar. I still have a fairly steady (but less than it used to be) zzzzzzz-ing in all gears, but I have my fingers crossed that a few thousand km's of break-in will smooth out the gear edges. That - coupled with the likelihood of my switching to a synthetic tranny oil in the spring of 2017 - should quiet it satisfactorily.

AND...

I am delighted with the improvement in feel/consistency/predictability delivered by the BARTON SS. There again there's some breaking in still to go, because it's pretty tight and quite "clicky". But I plan to remove two of the four user-accessible tension springs inside the cartridge next spring...which should see it configured perfectly to my liking.

And Nate - if it's not too late - be aware that any sort of bracket/brace will increase the amount of perceived NVH inside the cabin.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I too get a little chattering that goes away when I grab the shifter stalk near the base of the boot. I don't think it is anything serious. It is barely audible most of the time.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Have you been able to bring it in to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion, [email protected]? Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes/ears may help resolve your concerns. Let me know if you do.

Deysha
Still same issue been back to my dealer many times and even ford service on Facebook as well emailing corporate. Sounds has got louder but no one seems interested, may try to go to an independent trans shop and hope it's not going to cost me to much but I've lost faith with ford, I understand to ford I'm really nothing. I'm not a CEO or a YouTube or a friend of someone powerful so losing me as a customer means nothing really it's just disheartening that the car I love sounds like it's broken and the answer is that's normal. Wish the noise was there when I was signing the papers then this wouldn't be a problem because I'd be in a camero. Sorry just disappointed in the quality and response from ford.
Sponsored