Sponsored

Transmission Noise Through Shifter

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
I guess this is normal, but kinda bothersome. Btw your list of toys is damn impressive!
Thank you sir I'll have a couple of them at the tmi this weekend ..stop by and holla!!
Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I am getting transmission noise through my shifter in the lower gears. Sounds like an old worn out transmission, if anyone is familiar with that type of sound. Mine is only in the lower gears. I have not noticed it in 5th or 6th. Anyone else have this?
Mike, the stock shifter transmits a lot of NVH into the cabin. The reverse pull up will hum as well. I can say the Barton shifter eliminated 95% of the noise even though it is very solidly mounted (the model that mounts to the body)

Barton also includes extra sound barrier material.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
At modest speed in second...if I pull VERY GENTLY toward my leg the shifter whines in accordance with RPM. If I let go of the shifter it j-u-s-t about disappears...and if I press very gently away from my leg it falls silent. It sounds like touching an electric toothbrush against a saucepan; it seems like vib. transfer from the drivetrain (so I am not pretending it is catastrophic)...but it is extremely annoying.

Last edited:

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
If it is normal behavior, and it still bothers you, check out the after market shifters. They use rubber bushings or O-rings to provide better damping. Check out the MGW video.

Last edited:

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I looked at the MGW shifter, and it looks like a beaut. I have no doubt that it would be different (for sure) and perhaps even solve my issue.

However...

It should not be necessary for me to spend $500 to quiet an easily-reproduce-able and significant NVH issue on a brand new forty-thousand dollar automobile. I work in the industry, and you wouldn't believe how nit-picky a lot of these guys are when it comes to NVH (and fit, and wind noise, and panel alignment etc. etc. etc.) The whining noise that I am experiencing should make the FoMoCo NVH-fighters cringe.

The annoying part is that if I take it to a dealer, some hockey stick technician (and/or his boss) could very easily conclude that it is "normal". I've been down that road before, as have many of us, and a diagnosis like that makes it really difficult to fight. PLUS it leads to increased hassle and frustration, because:

(1) it makes the customer (me) sound overly fussy
(2) it forces the customer (me) to visit another dealer -- perhaps two or even three -- until I find somebody who agrees that it is NOT normal. And that all costs money (time off work, gas) and expends time.

Catastrophic? Hardly.
Dangerous? Nah.
Annoying? Definitely.
Unacceptable? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Update:
I have discovered that -- just as Mr. MGW suggested (thanks!) -- it is the reverse lock-out collar that is resting against the drivers side of the opening beneath the boot. What I did was this:

While cruising along in 2nd gear and exerting very gentle pressure against the stick toward my knee (the whining is loud & clear) I pulled up on the reverse lock-out. The shifter of course moves about 20mm closer to my knee...and the whining stops instantly.

* * So it is as I thought: the fact that there is noise being generated by the transmission is not a problem OR a surprise. It is a large & complex piece of machinery with spinning gears and bearings and such. Of course it's not going to be absolutely silent. The problem is that the noise is being transmitted into the cabin. This is intolerable.

And now somebody is going to say:

"Why don't you just stop pulling against the shifter when you're driving?"

If it were that simple, believe me I would do so. But roughly half the time, the whining is present even when I am not touching the shifter. So...something's gotta change.

And now somebody's going to suggest:

"Why don't you buy the $500 aftermarket device? It's great, and will solve your problem."

I have no doubt whatsoever. The aftermarket units (esp. the MGW) look like absolutely outstanding pieces of craftsmanship, and will very likely rid me of this gremlin, PLUS deliver an improved shifting experience. But purely out of principal (and also because I am short of funds, but mostly the principal thing) I should not have to suffer with a noise like this, NOR should I have to pay hundreds of dollars to buy a replacement/upgraded/properly-engineered device. Instead, the FoMoCo engineers should have their feet held over a fire and FIX IT.

For free.

Right now.

$0.02

Last edited:

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I had a horrible but rare rattle in my car, first thought it was the dash. Took it apart so many times but couldn't fix it. Then I realized it was actually coming from the shifter lever and its spring. I totally recommend changing the shifter lever with an aftermarket one, ford racing, boomba, or steeda! It makes hell of a difference and they don't rattle.

Currently have the boomba racing short throw shifter with their bracket and its amazing! This should have been from the factory. Can't believe a lever and a bracket can change things drastically!

GT_Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Any updates on this, I have the same issue and feel as though the dealer is leaving me in the dark.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Just got home from the stealer. As expected, they say NFF. Supposedly they test-drove a different new-but-identical vehicle and described that one as even worse.

But...

They describe BOTH as "normal".

I was very surprised!

They went on to say that they believe the trans is noisier because it is so new. They strongly believe that as the gears wear in -- and the rough edges smooth out -- the noise will diminish.

I tried to argue, but even the SM agreed - give it 10 or 15 thousand km's and see how it is then.

:mad::rant:

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I do think we should try to standardize our descriptions of the noises, though. The previous gentleman used the word "rattle"...which may be accurate for him but not for me.

Further, it has been suggested to me that any a/m shifter that mounts to the trans is definitely going to be noisier than stock. Cleaner, more precise and consistent - sure...but no quieter.

Hmm. The path is less clear now. I would certainly be down for cleaner, more precise and consistent...but not if it is equally noisy OR WORSE!

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Further, it has been suggested to me that any a/m shifter that mounts to the trans is definitely going to be noisier than stock. Cleaner, more precise and consistent - sure...but no quieter.
Tru dat. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something, or justify their own purchase by lying to themselves.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Tru dat. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something, or justify their own purchase by lying to themselves.
Actually the Barton that is body mounted IS quieter than the factory POS shifter, plus it's precise and does not lock you out of 3rd. Check my website, I do not sell them, I just run them. :cheers:

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
So...it seems as if the fundamental difference between the MGW and the Barton is that the latter can be mounted to either the body OR the transmission. But according to the Barton website, their device is for GT only (no EB fitment listed).

And the Steeda is significantly simpler -- without the two brace arms -- which presumably means that it also is body-mounted (yes?)

These three seem to be marketing themselves as "better" shifters as opposed to "short" shifters. Are there any other contenders?

GT_Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Update: Just picked up my '17 GT Premium MT (800 miles w/performance pack) from the dealer. They said it was normal sounding, even though we test drove a similar vehicle that did not have as much of a pronounced vibration/rattle noise as my vehicle. The dealer advised that they requested expertise from Ford Hotline in Detroit. I am assuming I will be told the same thing, which leaves me with purchasing after market parts to reduce the noise.

Again, my original problem is the noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It is nothing major at the moment, but I do suspect it to be a worn out synchro just from the noise. The noise/vibration are more prominent when I move the shifter to the very left (towards my right knee).

Next steps:
-Speak with engineer from Ford Hotline
-Purchase Shifter Support Bracket and/or after-market shifter kit (Barton?)
-Bleed fluids/ replace with purple synchro max

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for this? My fear is that this issue becomes a bigger problem when my vehicle is out of warranty.

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
To me one significant difference of the shifters is the damping mechanism. The MGW uses bushings and the Barton uses O-rings. It seems to me that the bushings should be more robust.
Sponsored