Trans brake

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I know you can get a trans brake tune but looking to leave with wot.Was wondering if you could preset rpm through a tune such as 2500rpm and leave with foot on floor.Release paddle shifter and go.I bracket race and this would be nice.Was wondering if they could command the throttle to hold rpm and release to full throttle when paddle is realeased.Thanks
Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I know a lot of guys use a n2mb wot box to do just this...I haven't heard of a tuner doing it through the paddles, but it would be a cool feature if they did.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I know you can get a trans brake tune but looking to leave with wot.Was wondering if you could preset rpm through a tune such as 2500rpm and leave with foot on floor.Release paddle shifter and go.I bracket race and this would be nice.Was wondering if they could command the throttle to hold rpm and release to full throttle when paddle is realeased.Thanks
Sounds like you want this: https://suncoastdiesel.com/i-30499845-10r80-6r80-transmission-launch-controller.html

No reason you cannot hold your foot to the floor while on the transbrake and the stock converter will get you up to about ~3200 rpms or so. Warning: Better have upgraded axles and driveshaft though or a trailer.

OP
OP

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Looks like you leave with brake pedal not button.

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, '19 Lincoln MKC,'16 F150, 65 Malibu SS
Looks like you leave with brake pedal not button.
I'll find out for ya exactly how it works if our weather holds - got mine from Terry (BCR) today & popped it in a li'l bit ago, figured I'll zip-tie everything under the dash once I'm certain I've hooked it up correctly!

IMG_2371.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I'll find out for ya exactly how it works if our weather holds - got mine from Terry (BCR) today & popped it in a li'l bit ago, figured I'll zip-tie everything under the dash once I'm certain I've hooked it up correctly!

IMG_2371.jpeg
Ok thanks

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
Curios how you like the sun coast part. Looks simple to install and would be great for us bracket / index racers

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Curios how you like the sun coast part. Looks simple to install and would be great for us bracket / index racers
Just got it this afternoon and hopefully will be able to test it tomorrow before the snow starts flying again. Definitely an easy install, sure hopin' it works as advertised!

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
well how was testing
Was raining when I got home yesterday & snowing this morning so haven't got a chance to test it. Can't test today or tomorrow so might be Sunday if the weather is half way decent, gonna get cold after that so may not be for a while.

Sponsored

TRM99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I am interested how this works as well. It seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.
Well, so far I'm still waiting for Suncoast to come up with a solution to make it work on the 6R80. With everything hooked up according to the provided instructions the TPS won't send a signal to the throttle body to allow anything but idling in normal driving mode. The launch controller works exactly as it's supposed to when activated according to instructions - it's just that you can't give the car any gas when driving anywhere.
Suncoast did try a workaround that they thought would solve the issue but it did not work on my car. They are supposedly working on a next gen controller that will work on my 6R80 but haven't heard anything from them since 20 January so perhaps I'll give them a call today to see what, if any, progress has been made.
To be fair, this issue seems to only affect the 6R80, not the 10R80 so perhaps someone that bought one for their '18 & up can chime in about their experience.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
On the 1/4 mile track, I run a 2018 with 10R80 transmission in a "foot brake only" class, so I've never activated my trans brake. However, I do know another NMRA racer, who runs in a class, where you are allowed to use a trans brake. He said that the factory trans brake, feels more like a "neutral drop", compared to an aftermarket, competition trans brake. He said he has concerns about drivetrain damage, but hasn't broken anything, yet!

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
The transbrake will always feel a bit harsh because there is no power going to the wheels until you let go of the button. The clutches in the transmission force the torque converter to slip. I assume the launch will feel more harsh with a stock converter since it is will not absorb as much power.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Guys also when engaging a trans brake, you want to make sure you have loaded the drivetrain prior to engaging the brake.

Do that by driving up to the starting line and braking by foot. usually have the rpms a little above normal idle so the converter and trans are engaged and trying to push you forward "just a little bit" nothing crazy.
Then engage the brake.
That way the drive train has all the slack out of it so when the trans brake is released, the force wont first go to slap the livin' SH_T out of the slack in your drivetrain.
Slack hit is like wacking parts with a massive sleg hammer.
Sponsored