Sponsored

Tramline much?

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I really notice it when going from brand new sections of pavement and then driving over worn sections. Add some windy fall weather and, honestly officer... I haven't had anything to drink. Any strategies to minimize this? I know the GT500 supposedly has changes to the front suspension to reduce this issue. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
In all honesty I haven’t noticed it at all. I’ve noticed it on a 350, im assuming pp2 would be the same as the 350 or slightly worse.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Only time I've really noticed it is when driving to and from autocross/HPDE on my 305 sized tires. The stock michelins seem to be ok. Maybe I'm just used to it after driving lowered and relatively wide tired cars for 20 some years

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
i suggest that you keep a close watch on keeping the tires at the recommended pressure. Use a good American made gauge instead of the instrument panel readout, with the car sitting on a level surface and with cold tires.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Get your alignment checked. I thought tramlining was just a fact of life with this car based on internet wisdom, but found out my factory alignment was crap. Front right toe was -0.23!!!

Got toe set to 0.0 L and +0.01 R and now the car drives like a dream.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My car tramlined a little on my last trip thru the TX Hill Country, but the asphalt was awful. It doesn't tramline anywhere else, including the prevalent grooved concrete on much of I-10 from ELP to the I-10/I-20 intersection... but the freaking tire noise gets quite annoying.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I haven't noticed any tramlining at all. Mich. PS4S tires.
I would also suggest checking you alignment.

OP
OP
Turbo23

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
The way the problem comes and goes makes me think the highway conditions are causing most of the situation I described. I know the tire pressures are perfect due to brand new wheels and tires I installed recently. I will have the alignment checked the next time it goes in for service. The roads in and around western Illinois and around eastern Missouri area are either brand new this year or beat all to hell. Thanks, to everyone for the responses to my question.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My 2017 GT PP1 with the factory wheels/tires never tramlined. I then went with an aftermarket 19x10, 40mm offset wheels with 275/40r19 tires on al four corners. Tramlined quite a bit depending on road conditions. (Smooth roads no issues, but rougher/uneven roads is where it would occur.) There were times I thought the steering wheel would get ripped out of my hands. Suspension was bone stock on it.

I now have a 2020 GT PP2. Only ran the OEM Cup 2’s for 150 miles, but it never tramlined. I then switched to 295/35r19’s and still no tramlining, bone stock suspension also.

Both cars are only driven around town on pretty much the same roads, so a pretty even comparison. No idea why my GT with a square setup tramlined so much and my PP2 doesn’t at all.

Doug

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
A little more toe will help eliminate tramlining - shoot for the max permissible toe on each side. I think the spec is 0.20* ± 0.20* so somewhere just under 0.40* It will drive great, but you'll scrub the outside edges of the tires a bit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket suspension got rid of all that on my 2016 gt/cs..

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I had mild tramlining with my SC2s for my GT350R. But with my spare wheels SV502s and Hankook Venus V2s, I haven't had much issues. The only thing would be on a bad road with a large moving groove in it. But almost any car would have the same issue.

Keep your eyes ahead and prepare when bad/worn sections of road are coming up.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The only thing would be on a bad road with a large moving groove in it. But almost any car would have the same issue.
That was exactly the issue with my car. No sense in changing anything. Car rides like on rails anywhere else, including straight grooved concrete. So OP needs to determine if the tramlining is a real issue with the car, or not.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
As stated above, multiple factors can contribute to tramlining:
Alignment
Sticky tires
etc.

Addressing alignment may/may not cure the issue. There is one solution that helped my 16 GT350R immensely and that was the G brace from Steeda. Contact them and see if it’s on post-Thanksgiving sale. It is significantly cheaper than new wheels or tires.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
Get your alignment checked. I thought tramlining was just a fact of life with this car based on internet wisdom, but found out my factory alignment was crap. Front right toe was -0.23!!!

Got toe set to 0.0 L and +0.01 R and now the car drives like a dream.
This is the key point. Tramlining is caused first and foremost by toe out on the front tires. There is some argument for this sort of alignment on certain track cars, but on a street car it's insane. Neutral or very modest toe in on the fronts (and toe-in for acceleration on the rears of course) will make the situation much better.
Sponsored

Last edited: