Sponsored

HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER 2019-20 BULLITT, STOCK

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
We have all read the advertised 480 HP for the Bullitt. Below is an article from the Rat 540 blog. I don't know if it is accurate but this is what was stated. If this is accurate then we are probably pushing about 540 flywheel.

46. Are Auto Manufacturer Advertised HP numbers accurate?

NOTE: Factory Advertised horsepower numbers are always “engine crankshaft” HP numbers, NOT rear wheel HP numbers.

It’s not entirely clear how all Auto Manufacturers handle their advertised HP numbers vs actual real world HP numbers. But, a number of years ago, Ford cut their advertised HP numbers way to close to the actual production HP numbers, to allow for production variations, and lived to regret it.

Dozens of owners, mostly drag racers, complained that the new 1999 Ford SVT (“Special Vehicle Team”, which is Ford’s High Performance Division) Cobra Mustangs they just bought, did NOT make as much HP as the Factory had advertised, nor did they produce the performance numbers the Factory had advertised. So, Ford recalled them to replace the intake manifold, to replace mufflers (which were too restrictive), to recalibrate the engine computer, and to replace the accessory-belt tensioner with a more reliable unit. Then a decal was installed in the engine bay to certify that the work had been done.

All the uproar leading up to the recall, resulted in at least one lawsuit and one state Attorney General investigation. Adding insult to injury, to deal with fixing the 1999 model, Ford didn’t even offer a 2000 SVT Cobra Mustang. This whole fiasco nearly destroyed Ford SVT’s reputation, created massive bad press, and seriously harmed customer satisfaction. That of course is NOT what any Auto Maker wants.

Ford had learned their lesson big-time. From then on, they underrated their Advertised HP numbers, meaning they claim LESS HP than they really make. That way, customers would never be unhappy with the performance of their vehicles. And if they found out how much HP their vehicle really makes, they would be thrilled to get more than they expected. All that equals excellent customer satisfaction. Good Marketing Plan, but of course customers would no longer know for sure, just how much HP their vehicles actually make in the real world. So, let’s take a look at that.

When their first-ever Factory Supercharged, 2003 SVT Cobra Mustang, with the internally named “Terminator” V-8 engine came out, Ford advertised that it made 390 HP. But, chassis dyno testing, track testing, and comparisons with similar vehicles with accurately known HP, indicated that the new Cobra would actually have to make “approximately” 425 HP, to generate the Performance people were seeing. So, as planned, everyone was thrilled to get more than they expected. Here the 2003 Supercharged SVT Cobra Mustang was showing that it made about 9% more horsepower than the Factory Advertised. You can multiply the claimed 390 HP by 1.09 (which is a 9% increase), and you get 425 HP.

Now, let’s look at a newer example, from the internally named “Coyote” V-8 engine.

5.0 Mustang “Coyote” engine Gen 1 = 2011-2014

5.0 Mustang “Coyote” engine Gen 2 = 2015-2017

5.0 Mustang “Coyote” engine Gen 3 = 2018 and later

Car Craft Magazine recently had a brand new Gen 3 Coyote factory crate engine dyno tested on the Westech engine dyno. The engine was a bone stock Ford engine for a 2018 5.0 Mustang GT.

Keep in mind that we don’t see accessory losses as high in modern vehicles as we used to in the old days. Here’s why. Mechanical fans are no longer used, most power steering units are now electric assist, so there is no pump to drive, emissions air injection pumps are long gone, A/C is never used during a dyno test anyway, and with a fully charged battery in the mix, there is very little drag from the alternator.

So, the biggest difference in engine dyno numbers vs in the car engine numbers (chassis dyno numbers are different) these days, is not due to accessory losses. The biggest difference nowadays is whether or not the car’s normal factory intake system, and its normal factory exhaust system are used on the dyno.

This dyno test was performed properly in order to provide the most accurate numbers. It used the entire factory air intake system, and it used the factory exhaust manifolds and cats. So, the data below is representative of the real world, and is about as accurate as we will ever find for this stock engine.

Ford advertises that this engine makes 460 HP at 7,000 rpm, and 420 ft lbs at 4,600 rpm. The big changes for the Gen 3 engine, was going to Ford’s port-fuel “AND” direct-injection (PFDI) system, increasing the static Compression Ratio from 11:1 to 12:1, and an improved intake manifold.

On this engine dyno, it actually made 497 HP at 7,000 rpm, and 427 ft lbs at 4,800 rpm.

This more accurate engine dyno test, shows that the Gen 3 Coyote engine makes about 8% more horsepower than the Factory Advertised. You can multiply the claimed 460 HP by 1.08 (which is an 8% increase), and you get 497 HP.

Customers will once again be thrilled by getting more than they expected. So, in general, we can use the 8% increase to get a good idea of what the true HP really is for Ford engines. All you have to do is:

• Take Ford’s Advertised HP number, and multiply it by “1.08” to get a close idea of what the true real world HP number really is.

And if one were to buy a new 2019 5.0 Mustang GT, and simply swap out to a K&N or equivalent air filter, and a pair of straight through large diameter mufflers, you’d be looking at the engine making somewhere around an honest 520 or so HP. Not bad, considering how affordable this car is, in the overall scheme of high HP cars.

540 RAT
==========================
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don’t know if I buy those numbers. I have a 2019 Bullitt with LTHs, x-pipe, PMAS CAI, and Lund Tune and made 469 rwhp/432 rwtq on the Dyno.

OP
OP

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
i DON'T KNOW IF IT IS TRUE EITHER, i AM JUST THE MESSENGER

BUT DIFFERENT TYPE DYNOS PRODUCE DIFFERENT RESULTS.

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
My stock 2019 Bullitt made 443.80 rwhp and 401.40 rwtq when Procharger tested it before they installed my supercharger.

After the install it made 637.94 rwhp and 492.35 rwtq using their provided CARB Legal 93 octane tune.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.22.32 PM.png

OP
OP

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
On that particular dyno you are probably running about 480+, considering 10% drive train loss.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
My stock 2019 Bullitt made 443.80 rwhp and 401.40 rwtq when Procharger tested it before they installed my supercharger.

After the install it made 637.94 rwhp and 492.35 rwtq using their provided CARB Legal 93 octane tune.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.22.32 PM.png
How many psi?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
At the end of the day Fords Gen 3 5.0 is SAE rated at 460, which means they can't have a variance of more than 1% I believe up or down. So, no matter what that dyno test says, it doesn't mean much. MULTIPLE engine dynos in SAE certified conditions say its a 460HP engine, so that's it. To me all it says is that the engine dyno used in the article isn't using the same calculations as SAE.

it's like saying you ran 2 dynos and one was STD corrected and ones SAE. It doesn't change your output, just the calculation of it.

OP
OP

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
At the end of the day Fords Gen 3 5.0 is SAE rated at 460, which means they can't have a variance of more than 1% I believe up or down. So, no matter what that dyno test says, it doesn't mean much. MULTIPLE engine dynos in SAE certified conditions say its a 460HP engine, so that's it. To me all it says is that the engine dyno used in the article isn't using the same calculations as SAE.

it's like saying you ran 2 dynos and one was STD corrected and ones SAE. It doesn't change your output, just the calculation of it.

I saw a dyno for a 2020 Bullitt the othe day. It was a dyno jet dyno. The Bullitt topped out at 410 RWHP. There may not be much difference in engines but there is a difference in dynos and testing conditions.

OP
OP

BULLITT480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
I believe its 8 psi since its the CARB Compliant install
That is about 700 hp at the flywheel. That seems high for only 8 psi. I would think that would be closer to 11-13 psi. Could you confirm the 8 psi? Thank you. I want to go the turbo route also but do not want to go over 7-8 psi on a stock lower end.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@koldrid, our hp numbers are almost identical with two different power adders. My power adder of choice is nitrous (150 shot) on E85. My Dyno pulls on motor and nitrous we’re done with the hood closed. I’ll bet you’d pick up an additional 50+ rwhp if you put your car on E85 though.

3DEC4703-AEB4-4B51-BFCD-7C1D394EABCC.png

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
@koldrid, our hp numbers are almost identical with two different power adders. My power adder of choice is nitrous (150 shot) on E85. My Dyno pulls on motor and nitrous we’re done with the hood closed. I’ll bet you’d pick up an additional 50+ rwhp if you put your car on E85 though.

3DEC4703-AEB4-4B51-BFCD-7C1D394EABCC.png
I want to do e85 but where I live in CA there are no local "within ~30 miles" that sell it, sadly.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I want to do e85 but where I live in CA there are no local "within ~30 miles" that sell it, sadly.
IMO, 30 miles is a worthwhile drive to get it. I currently have to drive about 15 miles to get it at the pump, as I typically run on my flex tune most of the time. If you don’t want to drive that far to get it, you can order One Ethanol or Ignite Red fuel in 5 gallon pails. I ordered six pails when I tuned for nitrous and it actually tested out at 90% ethanol content. I won’t ever spray without a verified ethanol content of 85%. It might be worth it to you to order some by the pail and tune for it, so that when you want max power, all you’ll have to do is flash to the E85 tune.

Just curious, when you dyno’d your car, were the pulls made with the hood up or down?

Last edited:

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
IMO, 30 miles is a worthwhile drive to get it. I currently have to drive about 15 miles to get it at the pump, as I typically run on my flex tune most of the time. If you don’t want to drive that far to get it, you can order One Ethanol or Ignite Red fuel in 5 gallon pails. I ordered six pails when I tuned for nitrous and it actually tested out at 90% ethanol content. I won’t ever spray without a verified ethanol content of 85%. It might be worth it to you to order some by the pail and tune for it, so that when you want max power, all you’ll have to do is flash to the E85 tune.

Just curious, when you dyno’d your car, were the pulls made with the hood up or down?
Thats definitely something to think about. As for the Dyno run it was actually done by Procharger since the car was used as part of their Beta Program for the Bullitt Mustang. So I wasn't on-site to see the process. I'll send an email to my contact to see if they would know.

s550.bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
487 to the wheel with Long tube headers, ported intake manifold and 93 tune

195608832_2130323780443559_9194885485110908858_n.jpg
Sponsored