Sponsored

Trading in for wrx?

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
So I've had the urge to trade in for a wrx lately. The 2018 looks great and I love that I could have 4 doors and the awd would come in handy here in the north west come winter time. I love my mustang but it's just a thought that I have had. What do you guys think? Any advice?
makes no sense,stick with the mustang:lol:
:ford:
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
nobody needs AWD. any 2WD car can get around in the winter, front or rear, unless you live on antarctica where they don't plow snow.

if i needed 4 doors, i would go with a charger scat pack

btw, those subies are junk. it's basically a glorified econobox with a turbo. i would never buy another subie ever again. i had a fully bolted on WRX before this rustang.

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
I haven't seen anyone yet mention TORQUE STEER yet. That, and having to wait (seemingly forever) for the turbo to spin up...sure the whine was neat to hear, but when I press the pedal I want the car to GO! The torque steer almost pulling the steering wheel out of my hands was why I traded in my Evo VIII after less than one year. AWD did nothing to hinder the TS.

Just my experience.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Get a nice integrale evo instead. Will appreciate in value and far more fun than a Subaru or VW

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They are different type of cars.
The WRX is lighter, and definitely better handling in stock form.
As for horsepower, when that turbo spool up, you feel huge amount of torque plus the gears are so close together.
As far as I can tell from being on a road course with WRXs they don't handle very well. Typical AWD understeering pigs.

A wrx will get drug around a road course by a PP gt.
I believe it. I know they were completely in my way, even on a very tight course with lots of turns.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Next year I'm seriously considering a charger scat pack, or a Golf R. I looked at the wrx, just can't make myself do it though.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
A wrx will get drug around a road course by a PP gt.
As far as I can tell from being on a road course with WRXs they don't handle very well. Typical AWD understeering pigs.

I believe it. I know they were completely in my way, even on a very tight course with lots of turns.
Maybe because my GT is not a PP but even with my buddy's track pack suspension and all summer tires on his GT, it just does not have the same kind of nimbleness compare to my WRX in stock form. The steering ratio is rather loose on the Mustang. The WRX is super darty and direct.
My GT has all seasons and the grip level is no where near my WRX.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
So I just traded in a '17 WRX after DD'ing it for 14 months, which was about 11 months longer than I wanted to. The car is simply not fun to drive (stock). There are numerous issues which led me to no longer enjoying the car, from the stupidly crunch transmission (felt like kayaking on rocks), to the absurd levels of rev hang, to the front loaded non-linear stupidly touchy throttle, the car just isn't fun to drive. It is jerky and janky, with HUGE RPM deadzones.

I can fully get behind having a WRX as a purpose built autocross machine, but not as a daily driver. Honestly, other than an for autocross track, I couldn't recommend the WRX for anything.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
I would take a look at a Focus RS. They can be had for under invoice and the car is awesome. My wife drove an Audi S3, Golf R, STi, and then the RS. She was hard pressed against Ford (poor experience with an escape) but she immediately fell in love. I get texts each day from her about how much fun it is. I've only driven it a couple times but it is very impressive. She is a hardcore Honda girl and loves Audis so I was truly shocked to see her reaction to the RS. The car is no joke.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I bought a new Subaru Impreza 5spd wagon for my wife, not a turbo car. We were living in the bush 1/4 mile off the municipal road and she had a half hour commute to work. We get serious winters up here. It was a great car for that purpose, with snow tires it was damn near unstoppable.
BUT.
Despite rigorous maintenance by the book, this thing cost a bloody fortune to keep running. It ate brakes yearly and had a lot of niggly issues going on, mostly an annoyance because it had to go the dealer for warranty. It got really shitty gas mileage as well and my bride is no track pilot, drives very gently.

At about 100K kms it developed the dreaded knock deep in the crankcase. Had a track buddy who was a Sube wrench guy listen to it, he said rod knock, get rid of it. And I did. Loved the way the car drove and how great it was in crappy winter weather, hated that it had so many mechanical issues and puked a rod bearing with pretty minimal mileage. Would never buy another Sube.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Yep same here. Owned a wrx. Never going back

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I've driven numerous wrxs with the most recent being a 2016. I would never get one over a mustang. Only way I would take one is if it was given to me. Turn around and use as a down payment for a gt350!!!

A light slow car with skinny tires will always feel nimble at slow speeds. Sound and power alone make the mustang a better choice imo.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Nothin but a glorified econobox

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Wow, based on this I might come to the conclusion that the WRX has been a massive fail for Subaru and nobody likes them. I'm amazed they are still in business. My son has a WRX and I have driven it a few times. It's not a Mustang, it's simply a very different car, and just fine for what it is.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Wow, based on this I might come to the conclusion that the WRX has been a massive fail for Subaru and nobody likes them. I'm amazed they are still in business. My son has a WRX and I have driven it a few times. It's not a Mustang, it's simply a very different car, and just fine for what it is.
The ej255 wrxs were better. Contrary to the owners here that had a bad experience most people that own a wrx and sti like them.
Sponsored