Sponsored

Trackday #4. Suggestions for improvement?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Some sudden relaxing of the covid19-restrictions here in Spain allowed the organisers to arrange a trackday on a few days notice, with about 12-13 cars attending.

20201220_134130_01.jpg

I installed an app called Track Addict I've seen other use, to record my sessions. I wanted to include part of the steering wheel in the picture, as I've seen others ask for that when commenting on driving, but after reviewing things later, I see I mounted or angled my phone at a rather stupid place. One can see the steering wheel, but the track itself is really hard to see with the way I angled the camera.

Can't do anything about that now of course, but will try to find a better place to mount my phone next time.

For this trackday, I for the first time also installed some dedicated racing pads on the front brakes. I used Ferodo DS1.11, to replace the Ferodo DS2500 that come with the car stock and which I use for my daily driving.

For reference, all Mustang GTs in Europe come with the PP1 six-piston Brembo brakes (though not most other PP1 stuff). As a novice, I have a feeling the brakes are pretty good relative to my driving level.

I'm still too novice to notice the difference from the DS2500, except there was some noise when braking with the DS1.11, which I did not have with the DS2500. I wanted some dedicated racing pads as I'm hoping they will, if nothing else, last considerably longer than the DS2500 pads on track, so I can save money by not replacing them so frequently.

Please also correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that I do not need to do any specific cleaning of the rotor when interchanging the DS2500 and DS1.111 brake pads, as they're from the same manufacturer, and presumably of a similar material compound.

The track video referenced is what is my best lap according to the app. Not sure if it's possible to suggest any improvements based on how poorly I had mounted my camera/phone?

Screenshot_20201221-112439_TrackAddict.jpg
20201220_171140.jpg

There are some things I'm already aware of:
- I should brake much later.

I almost always end up braking a bit too early, and then coasting for some tenths of seconds, before doing the turn, or sometimes, even braking again after coasting a little.

I feel I can step on the brakes much harder and later without problems, but I'm scared about ending up at the turn with a speed faster than I can handle.

I've raced motorbikes on the track, so I'm not so much worried about injury (compared to on the bike, sitting in my Mustang feels really safe), but it's my daily driver too, and if I were to follow the old adage of not tracking anything you can't afford to wreck, I'd not be bringing my Mustang anywhere near a track.
Yesterday I unfortunately went off track twice during the morning sessions. They warned us that due to the rain that had been there earlier in the morning, the track would be really slippery, and that we should choose different lines, trying to stay of the existing lines that had rubber from countless other sessions on them, but I still spun out twice. No other harm than some not-yet-inspected stone chips, but I want my car to keep looking beautiful. ;-)

- Not sure if I should shift into first gear sometimes too? As one can see from the video, I'm almost always in second or third gear. I think I was never in first gear (tried it a few times on my second track day I think, but did not work well for me at the time), and only a few times in fourth gear.

- Other things, like how and where to enter the turn, are not obvious to me yet, except I'm sure I'm doing them in a sub-optimal way.

That lap was 1m46s for me. For reference, there's national champion driving on this track too, in a Porsche GT3 RS. Believe he also placed third in Europe a few years ago. His times are around 1m16s.

At the end of the day, as a Christmas/end of year special, they also had what they called a "Speed Attack": "Fastest terminal speed over 700m, 1 car at a time, multiple runs." For this we started about 100 meters before the right turn you can see at the bottom of the map in the video. Winner is the one that manages to have the highest speed at the end of the long straight following the turn.

I've never tried anything like that before and thought it was an interesting way to do things, as rather than just a straight line drag race like seems to be so popular in the USA, you have a turn to do first. This of course means you cannot push the pedal to the floor from start to finish, but must take the turn as fast as you can, but not faster, before flooring the gas pedal after the turn and to the end.

Coming in third here, I managed to win an exquisite Spanish cheese. Winner was an BMW M4, clocked at around 177 km/h I think. Second was a Seat (Spanish brand, now owned by Volkswagen) racing car, and third my Mustang GT, clocked at around 165 km/h if I remember right.

I could have taken the turn faster if I'd been better, and perhaps also shifted faster, but could be have been worse, though that would have required there to be more than three participants. I'm sure one of the Porsche GT Cup cars on the track that day would have won had they joined, but for some reason, the drivers of those did not bother to join. So cheese for me. ;-)
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Videos aren't working for me, they just go blank.

In the wet, the wet line only represents the best line you can follow under wet conditions. Speed through it is still compromised by the wetness . . . careful throttle modulation on exit is your friend.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Theres quite a few videos on YouTube to explain elements of track driving for novice level drivers. Lookup the Driver61 channel for example and find some videos on cornering. There are also some books you can read which are generally much more instructive than short videos.

try to use the entire track on corner entry and exit. Start all the way wide on entry and let the car drive all the way out on exit.

yeah your camera position makes it hard to see (try putting it on the outside of the car on the quarter panel glass over your left shoulder.

Your hands are moving around too much on the wheel. Lower your hand position slightly from your default and (like 3 oclock and 9 oclock) just leave them there. It will be easier to catch the car if it slides if your hands are in a predictable position, and the shuffling you’re doing is a unneeded subconcious habit.

Yeah you don’t want to use 1st gear in corners. 2nd has plenty of torque. Even on significantly tighter corners you’d still just use 2nd (or higher).

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Videos aren't working for me, they just go blank.

In the wet, the wet line only represents the best line you can follow under wet conditions. Speed through it is still compromised by the wetness . . . careful throttle modulation on exit is your friend.

Norm
Not sure why that is. Maybe it will work better to click "download", assuming you get that up on your screen when trying to view the link, and then view it after it's been downloaded to your computer or phone. It seems some phones, maybe computers too, are too stupid to view google-drive videos otherwise for some reason.

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Theres quite a few videos on YouTube to explain elements of track driving for novice level drivers. Lookup the Driver61 channel for example and find some videos on cornering. There are also some books you can read which are generally much more instructive than short videos.

try to use the entire track on corner entry and exit. Start all the way wide on entry and let the car drive all the way out on exit.

yeah your camera position makes it hard to see (try putting it on the outside of the car on the quarter panel glass over your left shoulder.

Your hands are moving around too much on the wheel. Lower your hand position slightly from your default and (like 3 oclock and 9 oclock) just leave them there. It will be easier to catch the car if it slides if your hands are in a predictable position, and the shuffling you’re doing is a unneeded subconcious habit.

Yeah you don’t want to use 1st gear in corners. 2nd has plenty of torque. Even on significantly tighter corners you’d still just use 2nd (or higher).
Thank you for the comments. I'll look up that channel, and perhaps see if I can find a good book too.

Sponsored

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Michael,

From what I learned out on track this year was I tend to be fast in slow out. From what I can tell on the videos you are also. Super easy to do because we think the farther we go into the braking zone the faster we are. However that big long straight for example you want to carry as much speed through that last corner so you can get a good run down the long straight.

Also get some gloves. They will change your life. Not sure what it is about them, but they are amazing. Something like this. https://competitionmotorsport.com/s...IlEhH7OhTUmwBhcioniOnLfn_G4qvqlRoCNagQAvD_BwE

If you can try and keep your hands on the wheel at the same place. If the car bites you want to be ready for it. 10-2 or 9-3 if possible.

Keep at it and look at every corner as a new challenge. Enjoy!!!

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
I didnt see it mentioned above, but brake fluid should be one of your first upgrades.

Something like Motul.
After that, pads and stainless brake lines.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not sure why that is. Maybe it will work better to click "download", assuming you get that up on your screen when trying to view the link, and then view it after it's been downloaded to your computer or phone. It seems some phones, maybe computers too, are too stupid to view google-drive videos otherwise for some reason.
I've never encountered a google-drive video before, probably because it's not nearly as user-friendly as youtube so hardly anybody uses it (it was a bit of a struggle just to get to the download button, what with it being buried on a different screen from the ones that show in your post). I'm on a 17" laptop running Win10.

Anyway . . . I agree with the busy hands comment. I'm not seeing enough steering wheel rotation to require any hand repositioning at all except in a couple of places.

Your data indicates that the amount of time spent coasting is a fairly strong indicator of lap time. Note also that your fastest lap did not include your highest speed.

I don't think you're tracking out as far on exit as you should be. Which could be a downstream consequence of fast-in/slow-out or early-apexing and over-slowing. On your video'd lap, passing that second car who was running way wide in the left-hand hairpin probably kept you from tracking out under full throttle (best I could tell, without that other car it looks like you'd have had the room to run out wider and kind of morph that into the upcoming gentle left). No doubt that cost you time.

You may be turning in too early in places. Maybe because of the spins, maybe from your experience on two wheels, maybe a little of both . . . I don't know.

As for different camera angles, a top of dashboard mount will provide a stable point of view for following the track but you won't see what your hands are doing. A helmet-mounted camera will give you the track and your hands, at the expense of video stability. Outside the car off your left shoulder sees your hands (mostly) and left turns but gives up seeing right turns.

Norm

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
"come to Jesus" braking is best left till you have nothing left to improve. Work on one corner at a time. What did you like about the execution of say T2. Work on T2 and 'chill' a bit on the others. Yankin' and Bankin' is for jet planes. Cars like motorcycles are best driven smoothly with the least amount of gratuitous driver input as possible.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
"come to Jesus" braking is best left till you have nothing left to improve. Work on one corner at a time. What did you like about the execution of say T2. Work on T2 and 'chill' a bit on the others. Yankin' and Bankin' is for jet planes. Cars like motorcycles are best driven smoothly with the least amount of gratuitous driver input as possible.
Yeah in my experience novices kind of frequently assume that they're leaving a lot of time behind braking too slowly or too early. They're not exactly wrong, there is time to be gained by spending less time on the brakes, but its pretty much the last thing to work on. Usually its far far less significant than time left due to other mistakes in line choice or execution which novices are just not yet aware of.

To put it this way - your car can brake very quickly, but takes quite a while to accelerate. Mistakes in setting up the car for the corner exit and acceleration phase are far more costly because its takes so long to regain speed. Time spent in the braking phase is a much smaller slice of the pie.

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that sounds like a good and idea for me. Next time I'll do one corner, and then drive easy enough through the others to think about how to improve that one corner next time it comes up.

It is probably a correct assessment also. The times when I decided to take a chance and brake as late and hard as I dared, when following close behind another car, I think I sometimes did brake later than the car in front. It let me catch up a bit to the car in front, but by the time I was out of the corner he was far ahead again though.
Sponsored