Sponsored

Baseline Trackday

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Tomorrow I'll be taking my stock Performance Pack GT/6MT mustang out to Brainerd International Raceway to get a baseline performance measure.

I sold my GtT350R and bought this GT to run at trackdays for a couple years before going full race car and getting into wheel to wheel racing. I've raced sportbikes for almost 10 years, but only started tracking cars a couple years ago. It's a lot easier to be fast in a car after spending time on bikes I think. One of the reasons I had to retire from sportbikes is a bad back that keeps me from doing a whole lot of anything. Luckily I can still manage a half day ok the track in a car, but certainly pay for it for a while after.

This winter, I'll be having KohR Motorsports do a laundry list of upgrades to the chassis, but intend to leave powertrain stock for a bit in case any defects pop up and I need to make a warranty claim.

This evening, I mounted up an iPad mini w/OBDII pairing so I can keep track of more parameters while out on the track. The one PID I can't seem to get is oil temp. Is there a workaround for this? The Shelby had a readout on the dash, but the GT only has "low" and "normal" (and presumably "high").

Here's a pic of the setup.

i71pxs.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Went pretty well. Track was cold (only 45 degrees out), but actually set a PR in this car... half second faster than my dedicated M Coupe track car.

Some observations:

-Can't wait to mount slicks up as these street tires got greasy fast
-Car is well balanced, but needs more Front End grip
-Brembo brakes have awesome stopping power and held up well. I overbraked the tire grip before anything
-Suspension is a bit sloppy
-Shifter is a bit sloppy

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That is interesting about the oil temp. I switched to the GT350 center gauges which changes he Vac for Oil Temp. What app did you use on your iPad?

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
OBD Fusion, and purchased the 2017 Ford add-on package. It shows up as an importable PID, but when I add it to my gauge dashboard it doesn't provide a readout.

I wouldn't mind an analog oil temp like from the GT350. Is there a write up with where to purchase somewhere?

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I found one in the classifieds where someone tried to install on a Premium with color change option, which these gauges do not have the ability to. They are a direct remove and replace. 4 screws and a plug. Here it is at a forum sponsor. https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-gt350-gauges-fr3z10849e
Here is page three of what got me looking into it with some pictures I took. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24424&page=3

Does your app have a rear diff temperature gauge by chance?

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I found one in the classifieds where someone tried to install on a Premium with color change option, which these gauges do not have the ability to. They are a direct remove and replace. 4 screws and a plug. Here it is at a forum sponsor. https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-gt350-gauges-fr3z10849e
Here is page three of what got me looking into it with some pictures I took. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24424&page=3

Does your app have a rear diff temperature gauge by chance?
Thanks.

The app does not have diff temp from what I can find. Which is unfortunate, because I got an axle temp warning after about 25 minutes of hard driving.

My 359R had it as a readout.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looking forward to your feedback over the next year or so.

Any overall words to compare the GT PP vs GT350R?
That's a great question.

I never had the R out on the track, but baseline to baseline the R just feels "tighter" if that makes sense. It doesn't feel that much faster in a straight line though.

I sold the R for $74k, and bought the GTPP new for $31k. I have a feeling the $8k I'm planning to spend on the GT this winter will get it to 95% of the stock R in terms of feel and performance.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's a great question.

I never had the R out on the track, but baseline to baseline the R just feels "tighter" if that makes sense. It doesn't feel that much faster in a straight line though.

I sold the R for $74k, and bought the GTPP new for $31k. I have a feeling the $8k I'm planning to spend on the GT this winter will get it to 95% of the stock R in terms of feel and performance.
:cheers:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate a list of modifications and your impressions once you get the car back from Kohr.

Sponsored

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Tomorrow I'll be taking my stock Performance Pack GT/6MT mustang out to Brainerd International Raceway to get a baseline performance measure.

I sold my GtT350R and bought this GT to run at trackdays for a couple years before going full race car and getting into wheel to wheel racing. I've raced sportbikes for almost 10 years, but only started tracking cars a couple years ago. It's a lot easier to be fast in a car after spending time on bikes I think. One of the reasons I had to retire from sportbikes is a bad back that keeps me from doing a whole lot of anything. Luckily I can still manage a half day ok the track in a car, but certainly pay for it for a while after.

This winter, I'll be having KohR Motorsports do a laundry list of upgrades to the chassis, but intend to leave powertrain stock for a bit in case any defects pop up and I need to make a warranty claim.

This evening, I mounted up an iPad mini w/OBDII pairing so I can keep track of more parameters while out on the track. The one PID I can't seem to get is oil temp. Is there a workaround for this? The Shelby had a readout on the dash, but the GT only has "low" and "normal" (and presumably "high").

Here's a pic of the setup.

i71pxs.jpg
What phone mount is that? I like the placement.

OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
OP
OP

TommyC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
For $12 I'm going to try it. Does the top of the steering wheel block the phone at all?
Depending on where you have your seat height, yes it will be partially obstructed. But on my last track car, I couldn't use the mount because it was too high and obstructed my line of vision.
Sponsored