Sponsored

track rotor and pads

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I am reading alot of a few different setups but nothing definitive.
Most are talking about StopTech, BAER, powerstop, or Brakemotive rotors. Seems that the brakemotive are the cheapest but cheap and good usually don't go together. I had stoptech on my viper with good results

So, What's everyone running for rotors and pads? Suggestions?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
GT PP? Stock rotors, stock pads if you're a novice. If you have some experience, GLOC R10/R8 F/R, or maybe R12 front.

OP
OP

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
GT PP? Stock rotors, stock pads if you're a novice. If you have some experience, GLOC R10/R8 F/R, or maybe R12 front.
I should have stated that it's a PP car. I'll look into the GLOC pads.

OP
OP

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
whats the life span of the stock PP rotors?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the pads and how hard you drive. Many track days and daily use.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Either G-loc or Carbotech pads up to at least '12' are quite gentle on rotors. 8's and 10's are almost pure street-pad gentle - you'll likely heat-check the rotors well before abrading them down to min thickness.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Either G-loc or Carbotech pads up to at least '12' are quite gentle on rotors. 8's and 10's are almost pure street-pad gentle - you'll likely heat-check the rotors well before abrading them down to min thickness.

Norm
Yup. I’ve put on many hundreds of autox runs, like 50 track sessions, and 46k miles with stock pads, GLOC GS1 street pads, and Gloc R12/R10 track pads and have only very light heat checking on the rotors and Im not even at minimum thickness on the stock PP rotors yet.

Im probably going to replace them from boredom and piece of mind, but stupid things keep going.

The GLOK GS1 street pad and R12/R10 track pad is a nice combo to run because the pad compounds are compatible so you dont need to resurface the rotors to clean off old incompatible pad material when you switch to track pads. Stock pads are quite good for a track novice but when you start braking harder or if you run at a track thats particularly tough on brakes, thats when track set comes in to play.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ill also add that you dont want to run most track pads daily unless you’re already tone deaf to pad squeal. They squeak constantly if you’re not getting them into their hot temp happy zone.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What's the deal with Carbotech pads? From the description on the website,the pads are either 100% street use not suitable for any track duty, or 100% track use and not to be used on the street.

I understand that you can't really have best of both worlds, eg. a great track pad that does good on the street, but with technology nowadays there should be some sort of middle ground where you can have a pad quiet for the street but also able to handle light track duty on street tires. Has anyone used any of their compounds for both scenarios?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What's the deal with Carbotech pads? From the description on the website,the pads are either 100% street use not suitable for any track duty, or 100% track use and not to be used on the street.

I understand that you can't really have best of both worlds, eg. a great track pad that does good on the street, but with technology nowadays there should be some sort of middle ground where you can have a pad quiet for the street but also able to handle light track duty on street tires. Has anyone used any of their compounds for both scenarios?
R8 and R10 aren't terrible on the street. They'll be noisy and will dust, but won't be unsafe.

To your last point: it doesn't exist. One of the closest is the factory Brembo pad (Ferodo DS2500). It does have some minor noise and dusts a lot, and is plenty for novice track duty. Technology for friction materials has improved significantly, but you're not getting around the fact that there isn't a do it all pad. Right tool for the job. The best bet is to stay within a material family so that you can easily swap back and forth (like GLOC GS1 to the R* pads).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Agree with Bmac; R8's and R10's can do the street duty thing as long as you don't mind the dust and a little noise and can cope with stronger initial bite than most street pads ever provide. Even R12's aren't terrible on the street (down into the 20's F, anyway).

But CT (and G-loc) are in the business of keeping all their customers happy, and lots of folks absolutely cannot stand brake dust or squeaking. Others prefer softer bite (last I knew, this included Sam Strano, a multi-time SCCA Solo National Champion). So pad mfrs have to be conservative with their recommendations.

Past 12's, you can expect cold bite to become poorer, maybe severely so. Same probably goes for 12's at 0°F Plus you'd get the dust, noise, and more rapid rotor wear than with 10's and under.

I got in the habit of leaving the track pads in until they wouldn't pass event tech (50% friction material thickness), mainly because it was too much of a PITA on an S197 with OE calipers. Even with the 14" Brembos I probably won't bother. But my hearing isn't what it once was (not even with some electronic assistance) and dust doesn't bother me as long as most of it dry-wipes off, so . . .

Norm

Last edited:

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Do you guys running stock PP rotors and pads have much issue with noise? My base 4 pistons are really quiet, I'm hoping when I install my all factory PP Brembo setup it will still be just as quiet. I went with stock pads and rotors thinking they would be the best daily driver & occasional track day or autocross option.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys running stock PP rotors and pads have much issue with noise? My base 4 pistons are really quiet, I'm hoping when I install my all factory PP Brembo setup it will still be just as quiet. I went with stock pads and rotors thinking they would be the best daily driver & occasional track day or autocross option.
The base pads are a street only pad and as such are very quiet. The PP pads squeal a little bit when cold but are far from where most track brake pads are for noise.

OP
OP

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Yup. I’ve put on many hundreds of autox runs, like 50 track sessions, and 46k miles with stock pads, GLOC GS1 street pads, and Gloc R12/R10 track pads and have only very light heat checking on the rotors and Im not even at minimum thickness on the stock PP rotors yet.

Im probably going to replace them from boredom and piece of mind, but stupid things keep going.

The GLOK GS1 street pad and R12/R10 track pad is a nice combo to run because the pad compounds are compatible so you dont need to resurface the rotors to clean off old incompatible pad material when you switch to track pads. Stock pads are quite good for a track novice but when you start braking harder or if you run at a track thats particularly tough on brakes, thats when track set comes in to play.
Now thats some good data!! Thanks :)
I'm impressed with the amount of time you have on your rotors. I think the street/track combo is perfect. I don't want to have to clean rotors between track days.
Sponsored