Sponsored

track rotor and pads

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
When all you know how to do is mash... ^^^^
When you learn to use the right pedal all the way you eventually need the left pedal. Brakes last a long time when you don't go very fast.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thank's for the replies. I plan to do around 4 track events per year. Mostly beginner and intermediate stuff. The car is a daily driver and my only vehicle so I don't want to push it too hard. I have a PP belly pan, chin spoiler, and Vorshlag brake cooling deflectors waiting to be installed which should help some, but I'll also be running stickier tires (RE-71R) on the track. I would prefer not to change brake pads every time I hit the track, and I really like the way the factory pads feel on the street (the dust is bad, but I'm willing to deal with it). Are there any track pads that come close the the PP pad on the street but will perform better on the track? I really like the "bite" of the PP pads on the street.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At the intermediate level I think I'd want to keep tabs on the friction surface condition of either the OE PP1 pads or anybody's first-step entry-level track pads.

That's because pad wear rates aren't the only thing to watch out for. Lower-level pads can crack as well, and I can't see that being a very good thing for anything but telling you that you've outgrown them.

These are Carbotech XP8 pads after somewhere between three and six track days. I'm guessing that they're comparable to the OE PP1 pads in terms of fade performance and might be a tad better in terms of bite.

full.jpg

In fairness, they were run on considerable smaller rotors. But the other side of the coin is that the car they were being run on has barely 2/3 of the power and 80% of the torque that you guys have available. Think sixxer or base-level EB with rotors that draw air from the inside the way they're supposed to.

Norm

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Yup norm is right. These are new stock PP1 front pads on new stree tires new car 300 street miles and two 20min track sessions at WSIR a not brake heavy track. By 3rd session car would not stop. Fluid never boiled.
20200131_105638.jpg

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I'm guessing the compound on the GT350 pads from the factory is significantly different than the PP pads?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an SCCA clubracer. I bought my 2019 PP1 to be my next racecar. I smeared and overheated the PP1 brake pads in the 1st 20min session just learning the car
be fine for a very short while but I'm pretty sure you are going to outgrow those pads really quickly.
I have a sneaking suspicion a club racer uses the brakes a lot harder than most HPDE people are accustomed to doing and drives the pad temps well past their upper limit. I'd be interested in what you thought of the G-LOC pads.
Sponsored