Sponsored

Track Day pads...

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So I finally did my first track day at Road America and had an absolute blast. Will definitely go again soon. Car did VERY well. 15 PP, steeda 2 piece rotors, Motul fluid, stock pads, BMR minimum drop springs on stock strut/shocks, bushings, etc...Project 6gr wheels with 285F/295R Pilot Sport 4s. I have the front sway bar mod as well. The car felt balanced, just felt heavy in the corners. I'll be looking once my stock pads wear out to get a set of track pads. I have seen lots of info on this. These rotors are expensive so I want something nice on rotors. The PP pads were great (I was being slightly conservative because RA is an extremely fast track, car hit 140-150 twice per lap).

I feel in addition to track pads I will switch over to the FRPP track strut/shocks with the BMR handling springs and go with R888 once the 4s's wear out.

Thoughts on the pads? (DSuno, Hawk DTC-70, etc)
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Were you flat in The Kink?

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Were you flat in The Kink?
Yes

Hawks are known for being rotor eaters. Don't go there. Is this still a regularly street driven car? All of the options that you'd want for higher track performance are pretty poor for dust, noise and (potentially) rotor wear when street driven. Best to have a separate set of pads and rotors if so.

You can definitely do significantly better than those Toyos for performance and durability for the price.
It does get driven on the street, maybe 3k miles per year. What would you recommend for tires?

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's not many at all. In that case you might as well just leave track pads on all the time. Carbotech XP12 front, XP10 rear would be good.

Are you going to stay on the stock wheels or go wider?
Its got project 6gr wheels, 285/35/19 front and 295/35/19 rear. I was also looking at re71-r as they dont seem to need much heat to work well.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thoughts on the pads? (DSuno, Hawk DTC-70, etc)
Either Carbotechs or G-locs (essentially the same pads, with slightly different names for the various formulations).

I've used both, in various combinations of 8's, 10's, and 12's and never bothered to swap them out for true street pads. There is some dust and you will get some occasional squealing mainly during gentle braking. Working some harder-than-necessary braking into your street driving (with due regard for any following traffic) seems to help keep the noise down.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would you recommend the 10's or 12's?

Also can I just put those on the current rotors with no issues?

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Our instructor made it sound like you would die if you drove fast through there but the car felt fine.
It depends somewhat on how good you're getting through the carousel. If you get a particularly good run off & have plenty of HP, the kink gets interesting.

Last edited:

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
What group and car number? Not many run flat out through the kink. I was there along with hundreds of others obviously and it was HOT. :sun:

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Yep, I remember you ... my gf and her 10 yr old was oogling your comp orange. Nice ride.