Track Data Recording Systems

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here but has anyone figured out a way to track wheel position, specifically compression and rebound for both distance and rates?
These sensors are available from Ford for the Mustang, not sure if someone could figure out how to collect data from them and use it in a software package that would provide usable data but the sensors themselves are cheap.

I cant seem to find the info now, I found a company at PRI who is making replacement modules for magride systems on Porsche and C7 vettes. He has a plug-n-play replacement module that allows the end user to tune the suspension and alter the factory presets so the end user has factory level control of the shocks. This system and software uses all the factory shocks and sensors, if he can do that he has to be ability to see all the sensor data. If he has developed a module that can at least see the sensors and the software to view the data then the hard part is done. Since the OEM sensors are made to mount to the car and cost under $50 ea. it could be a cheap way to monitor suspension movements and ride height changes due to Aero changes.

Dave
OEM Ford ride height sensors.jpg
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd think you could run position sensor outputs into an Aim Solo unit as analog inputs. Perhaps not all four at once, but you might be able to find a work-around for that.

Norm

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks!!!

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
I run an AIM Solo DL. It plugs into the OBD port and logs many different PID. You can set up custom screens on it to display any PID that it is logging as well as lap/predictive lap. I've made some videos with the data overlaid on GoPro video. INO the best package would be a SoloDL with the Smarty Cam plugged into it. The data overlay happens automatically on the video allowing you to pull out the memory card, stick it in your laptop and review the video with data meditatively. It will turn on and off automatically when you start your session.

Here's an example of SoloDL data overlaid on GoPro video. The video was created with RaceRender. It's not a very easy process to create.
[ame]

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'd think you could run position sensor outputs into an Aim Solo unit as analog inputs. Perhaps not all four at once, but you might be able to find a work-around for that.

Norm
You will need an interface between the data logger and the sensor to achieve usable data, the sensors have to sampled at an insanely high rate (100Hz) then buffered and averaged to arrive at a usable number, the OEMs do this in their mag ride systems. As I understand it the data will be full of useless data points without some way to reduce it to a usable value. Without this process you will be able to use it to gather large changes in suspension travel but the fine movements and direction of travel will be lost in the large data stream.

Dave

Sponsored

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looking at the AiM stuff - does anyone have any experience with the G-Dash or MXL2? From what I understand I could connect these via OBDII, or sometime in the future, directly to the ECU.

I was looking to add a a couple gauges to my car and things got pricey. Something like MXL2 would solve many problems and it's car agnostic so it'll be (1) easier to sell and (2) usable on future cars.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I would think that an ADC and an anti-aliasing filter would work just fine for sampling in this scenario. I haven't been able to figure out much about those suspension travel sensors but I am assuming they are some kind of linear potentiometer which shouldn't be very difficult to deal with.
Sponsored