Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Curious what everyone has been running.

We ran Harry's on an Android with a Ram Mount and Bluetoothed OBD Data.

We are on the short list for the new Race Capture System (We did the GoFundMe) due to some frustrations with Harry's. Not knocking it because its a pretty neat app for $30 but I'm looking for a system that really is intergrated.

Almost sprung for the full Race Capture Pro until Autosport came up with this DESIGN
Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
That's what I have been using, Harry's LapTimer and I experimented with TrackAddict as well.
I have been running a WiFi PLX Kiwi OBDII connector and using iPhone GPS.
The autosport thing looks really interesting though.

AnelBHF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's what I have been using, Harry's LapTimer and I experimented with TrackAddict as well.
I have been running a WiFi PLX Kiwi OBDII connector and using iPhone GPS.
The autosport thing looks really interesting though.
Are you able to see transmission and diff oil temperature with that?

OP
OP
Optimum Performance

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I believe you can add external inputs, so if you run sensors to it you can. 2016 has a rear sensor but not sure if it would be visible because I don't think it displays as a gauge. Not sure how the Shelbys are with trans temp, I think they go into power reduction at a trip point for trans temp. It would be nice if they broadcast a signal over the bus but thinks oe is just threshold trips.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
trackmaster for the android works great, but only if your phone has good gps signal. I've had thick cloud cover show me 100' off track, but still get me respectable lap times. I'm pretty sure it knows the tracks, but is working out the kinks.

Plus: it has good lap breakdowns and split timers, and if its hard mounted to the car, the
G meter works better than any other free app I have tried.
Minus: if you have any cloud cover you will get deviations in lap breakdowns, but if you are at a well known track, it will pick up the slack and get you close to a normal lap time...

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure, it doesn't pick it up through Harry's that I know of.

OP
OP
Optimum Performance

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Harry's does the same thing, it corrects for a bad signal based on known sectors for a saved track, it will show messed up speeds sometimes which I attribute to GPS signal ( a track built in a mountain with 200' of elevation change) The lap times are correct, most of the data is good but the overlays show I figure 8'd parts of the track due to poor positioning. Most of this falls on the built in phone GPS and not the app. Harry's will let you integrate an external GPS with 5 times the sample rate.

I've been playing around with the Race Capture App and I can tell it is much more user friendly. I struggled with Harry's at first (technology challenged) but he straightened me out and it's one of those "It's easy when you know how" things.

OP
OP
Optimum Performance

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Not sure, it doesn't pick it up through Harry's that I know of.
Sorry miss-read other post. I know race capture allows external data, Harry's is limited to standard CanBus data stream, common ones. It will not show some of "Ford" exclusive data for lack of a better term. Harry's also would sync video a second or so off (which you could correct in third party free software) Harry's interpreted throttle data off due to operator error not correcting the levels.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Curious what everyone has been running.
It's only been for the last 3 events, but I got a basic Aim Solo unit. GPS with a built-in accelerometer and a pretty extensive track library. You can get them in a version that integrates a camera, but I'd already been set up to run a GoPro and the store didn't have the upgraded Aim kit in stock anyway.

Norm

Reactions: F0J

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am actually looking at those too Norm, would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Optimum Performance

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
It's only been for the last 3 events, but I got a basic Aim Solo unit. GPS with a built-in accelerometer and a pretty extensive track library. You can get them in a version that integrates a camera, but I'd already been set up to run a GoPro and the store didn't have the upgraded Aim kit in stock anyway.

Norm
I am actually looking at those too Norm, would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Norm, that is what my coach uses in his Street GT500 and His Race Mustang. I was taking a different line in my car at Palmer (straight lining it to a banked turn that disappears, because huge brakes and 3.73's) and pinched the corner. So when he was out in his car (not an S550) he tried both lines. You wasn't sure if it was better or not exit speed was about the same (Keep in mind this was not a S550) I know the data with AIM is more user friendly than Harrys.
James Line Comparison.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've only just scratched the surface of what it can do. But I know of somebody on another Mustang forum who was using its accelerations/decelerations/cornering g's along with an oil pressure trace (I'm not at all sure how). There's a way of having it do some math - summing lateral and longitudinal g's for an idea of total tire loading and how close to a friction ellipse you're keeping the car operating at in the transitions being one I can think of offhand.

There's a segment times page you can open up to see where on each lap you might have been better or not as good. I think it finds a "theoretical best lap", though that can be a bit fictitious in that what works best in one place in isolation on one lap might hurt you a little in another place or two that you did better on different laps.

Best of all, it's pretty simple to operate, and downloading the data to your computer for analysis takes hardly any time at all, a matter of a few seconds for four 25-minute sessions.

Norm

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here but has anyone figured out a way to track wheel position, specifically compression and rebound for both distance and rates?