TPMS

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So I thought I could use the Tire Monitor gauge function in the dash to add air to my tires but it doesn't seem to work. I turned the ignition on, checked the tire pressures in the dash, and then added air. But the monitor didn't record any changes. I added more air but still didn't get any change on the display. So I got out my pocket gauge and checked the pressure and, of course, I had added way too much air.

So... how do these TPMS gizmos work? Does the engine have to be running for them to update? Do the wheels have to be turning with the engine running for them to update? Or do they update every so many minutes? If so, how many minutes is the update cycle?

Thanks all.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Sometimes those in-car tire pressure gauges take a little time to adjust to the new pressures; usually after driving a short distance. I always use a method where you can set the pressure and the air stops pumping when it reaches the correct psi that was set.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks Dragoon. The info from the Ford App is very helpful.

And bummer. It means that I can't use the on-board tire pressure gauge as a tire pressure gauge. Who'd a thunk it. Guess I'm stuck with the old fashioned pocket gauge for another few years.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think there's any vehicle where an owner can fill a cold tire and then check the PSI via the TPMS readings in the dash.

Many TPMS sensors won't adjust only based on adding (or removing) air from a tire in the driveway. Usually as noted above, the vehicle has to be driven so the TPMS can recalibrate based on internal tire psi which is also based on expansion due to heat.

Tire PSI shouid always be checked COLD, meaning before driving anywhere. Tire fill cold and check PSI is close to or matches the driver side tire label inflation specs.

When driving, the TPMS readout will adjust accordingly. Also to note, even though the tire was filled cold and met the label spec, be aware that tire psi will increase approximately 2-3psi once driving as the tire heats up. If you had filled all (4) tires when cold to the applicable PSI on the label, expect all (4) to read at least 2-3psi higher once warmed up. This is completely normal and there is NO reason to deflate the tire back down to the tire label spec IF it's reading higher when warm.

Also for those of you who do have an actual spare tire kit - check and make sure the spare is at proper PSI, because changing a flat with a flat won't get you anywhere.

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
I don't think there's any vehicle where an owner can fill a cold tire and then check the PSI via the TPMS readings in the dash.
Our Jeep has a tire fill assist function on the dash. Enable it, set the pressure you want, and then fill your tires. It will honk the horn and flash the lights when you've reached the desired pressure.

Pretty awesome feature!
Sponsored