Sponsored

TPMS Refresh Rate

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
I was checking tire pressures the other day and was trying to get them all dead nuts on with the on screen system since not all tire gauges are created equal, and had a hell of a time doing it. It seriously took me at least 20 minutes. I'd put some air in, wait a little bit, no change, add more, wait, then shows a pound or 2 high. Let some out, nothing, let more out, nothing, let more out, too low.:frusty: I resorted to dropping them down waaaay low, like down to 15 psi, waited until the screen showed that, then pumped them up.

Does anyone know the refresh rate of the TPMS system? Or what kind of logic it uses?
Sponsored

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My guess is that it requires driving around for calibration. How precise do you want to be?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It takes a few minutes of driving for mine to actually show what I just aired the tires to. But, once it finally does, it is accurate every time.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I learned it definitely takes a good minute or two to update. I was also relying on that to tell me how much I was airing up. But I'd overfill because I wouldn't see any change and then BAM! Big change. I just use a pressure guage now like I've done for all my other cars in the past and then let the tpms finally update and check to see how close I got it and whether it still needs a couple extra ticks of psi or not.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get a good gauge should do the trick.
I tend to ignore the TPMS. Only use it for if there is a leak.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
My guess is that it requires driving around for calibration. How precise do you want to be?
When i had a flat battery, and got her jump started let her run for an hour, the pressure was not reading. then the following night got in her and the readings were back to normal. and had not even driven her at all

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
My TPMS is faulting showing all my tires at 22 PSI right now. Checking with a tire gauge they are all at the proper inflation so somehow my BCM has lost communication with all my sensors.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Yeah mine reads wrong too. It reads about 5psi high. I have checked it with two different gauges.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm sure its VERY infrequent if pressures are near normal. I mean if they constantly broadcasted the batteries would last days or weeks instead of years.

Flat Stanely

Yea, it's Stanley, I know
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
K.C.
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
The TPMS is activated by the rotation of the wheel. That way the battery isn't running the whole time and they last about 5 years. I was told it's about a 15 minute refresh when driving. I worked at Discount Tire for 4-5 years but these things weren't the norm back then

Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The units are configurable. Make sure they are set on PSI if that is the unit you want. Mine is deadly accurate. And mine updates every couple minutes, even when sitting in the garage as long as the car is running.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
If I start my car up and pressure is a little low, I top off the tires while she warms up. It will update by the time I am back in the car. My air filler has a gage built in so I only use the dash display to confirm everything is ok.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got alert that a tire was at 15 pounds earlier today. Pumped it up and by the time I started moving it showed 30 pounds. Made my way over to Discount Tire.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone else have to top off their rear tires more than the fronts? My rear tires lose about 1-2 psi in a week. On the fronts I have to add a pound or two in a month.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does anyone else have to top off their rear tires more than the fronts? My rear tires lose about 1-2 psi in a week. On the fronts I have to add a pound or two in a month.
Slow punctures (e.g. nail)? That seems a little high.
Sponsored