Sponsored

Tow vehicles and Trailers, share your setups!

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I still think it's always best to get more truck than you think you'll need. That was actually my wife's suggestion as I was going to get a 2500.
Sponsored

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
The trailer is 34' on the floor before the V. Truck weighs around 8000. Trailer loaded with 2 cars weighs around 14000. Total pulling is therefore in the 22000 range. I don't have an actual tongue weight. I run the square steel bar genuine "Equalizer" brand hitch (not the ones with the chains to connect). I had a 48' gooseneck 2 car rig previously and actually prefer pulling this. Like most rigs around this size the problem is usually not pulling. It's stopping and maneuvering. My Dodge has a true jake brake and brakes on all 3 of the 7000# axles. There are 2 cars in the trailer in this picture and you can see how level the rig is all the way from front to rear.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I have been debating this. I was looking at a cayanne deisel when my SUV dies.

I towed a is300 from OHIO to NYC with my trailblazer SS. It did well the brakes felt suspect though.

Where do you guys store trailers?
I have 5 acres, a 32x60 garage and during the winter, the trailer gets stored in the garage. In the summer, it gets parked beside the garage on gravel.

gtcrackers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White no stripe
I just got a 20 foot flatbed trailer. I was wondering what kind of straps to tie down the Gt350 seemed to work the best. I’ve strapped down a truck to a trailer, but nothing this low!

Sponsored

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I just got a 20 foot flatbed trailer. I was wondering what kind of straps to tie down the Gt350 seemed to work the best. I’ve strapped down a truck to a trailer, but nothing this low!
I have the FP tie down brackets and I use over the axle straps without the axle part. On the Cobra, I use the axle part to go around the lower a arm in the front and rear end in the rear.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Over the tire straps from autohauler supply - they have every configuration you can imagine. Tie to d rings, e track, whatever works best on your rig. No need to climb under car.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Another good source for trailer accessories, including tie-downs, is e-trailer.com - especially if you're in the midwest, as they are located near St. Louis and do a great job of fast-shipping.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My rig is sized for my FFR cobra replica, so it's a 2015 Toyota 4Runner and a Serpent Express add-on cover system for my 16' steel trailer. I did all the work myself to update my trailer and install the Serpent Express cover - not secure, i.e., no locks, but it does a great job of keeping the cobra out off the weather and aids in aerodynamics and mileage. It's sized just right to fit my wife's '67 Camaro and my '65 Mustang vintage race car project, too.

Unfortunately, the GT350 doesn't fit inside - so it has to get places under its own power.

Finished%205_zpslejszz5d.jpg

Winter%20Storage%202017_zpsupr55zvu.jpg

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You're telling me that that add-on cover doesn't fly off at highway speeds!?

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're telling me that that add-on cover doesn't fly off at highway speeds!?
Not at all - it's rubberized canvas fitted tightly over a frame made of 1" tubing (conduit). The frame is held together with corner-connectors using set-screws and fits into tubes welded to the trailer perimeter which also use set-screws to secure the frame. The cover is then held in place via metal clips that grab onto 1/2" conduit that is in a sleeve around the lower perimeter of the trailer.

Very secure and unflappable (sorry for the bad pun) at highway speeds - I've cruised at 80 mph with it and have had no issues at all.

Here's a pic of the structure when I was in the process of installation.....

Padding%201_zps9te7sppk.jpg

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
I use an F150 with a Featherlite 3110 open trailer. It has been a great setup with previous cars, but the gt350 is pushing the limit on width. I would not use the CF wheels with this trailer as they would inevitably get curb rash at some point.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Not at all - it's rubberized canvas fitted tightly over a frame made of 1" tubing (conduit). The frame is held together with corner-connectors using set-screws and fits into tubes welded to the trailer perimeter which also use set-screws to secure the frame. The cover is then held in place via metal clips that grab onto 1/2" conduit that is in a sleeve around the lower perimeter of the trailer.

Very secure and unflappable (sorry for the bad pun) at highway speeds - I've cruised at 80 mph with it and have had no issues at all.

Here's a pic of the structure when I was in the process of installation.....

Padding%201_zps9te7sppk.jpg
I’ll be damned. Is that your custom design? I have never seen one.
Sponsored