Sponsored

Tow Hooks - ZL1 Version

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Somewhere on this site is a pix of a guy who took off the front bumper cover on a ‘20 GT350 and discovered the same nut welded to the front bumper we GT500 owners have. I doubt its on the ‘19 GT350’s though due to timing.

The GT500 cover for this hole is rather elaborate and will not likely fit a GT350. But you could drill a hole in the cover and then either cover it with a rubber plug, or use it as a license plate mount like we do on the GT500.
E784EF21-A554-4504-B1FC-5BEC7645DF3F.jpeg
88722CE3-8AC6-4453-BC03-F02286435E9E.jpeg

https://www.grimmspeed.com/license-...MIorKqy_O37gIV0sDACh2DUQ8HEAQYBSABEgKrQfD_BwE
Seems like if someone is willing to drill a hole in the bumper cover to find the hidden tow hook socket, they would just drill the normal license plate holes instead.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Seems like if someone is willing to drill a hole in the bumper cover to find the hidden tow hook socket, they would just drill the normal license plate holes instead.
Drill the hole to mount a tow hook. Secondary use to mount a license plate.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Probably too late for you, but I pulled my front bumper off for the ZL1 towhook before I installed the splitter. It was such a breeze. Installing the splitter was not a breeze though. It might be easier to remove the bumper cover, belly pan, and splitter as a single unit than to remove the splitter and belly pan.
Good to know. I am still researching things before I dig into it.

Thanks,
D.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
that's how I did it, it was really easy to take off and install.

Sponsored

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Seems like a right of passage of GT350 ownership to pull the front bumper. :-)

D.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
I pulled my bumper to install the tow hook as well. That was the easy part, it’s a pia to get the tow hook to line up with the grill.

Sponsored

calduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP, 2019 F-350, 1970 Mach 1, 1971 Bronco and more...
I just finished the install on my new 2020 HEP using ZL1's titanium tow hook/receiver (tow hook in black; too bad it isn't offered in Guardsman Blue). As I had yet to install my splitter and I have a 4 post lift, I did it without removing the bumper. I followed 50Deep's instructions (thanks!) and removed the belly pan etc. In doing this, I found that the assembly line didn't even use one of those push pin things to hold in the front of my brake cooling duct. They did on the other side though.

Some tips:
1) On the 2020's, there isn't that additional air temperature sensor bracket, but you still have to remove the sensor and wiring hold down tree till after bracket is installed.
2) I pried back that bumper stay bracket with a pry bar/long screwdriver (with the end inside a leather work glove to prevent scratching any frame paint)
3) I found having the bumper on is fairly helpful to do final alignment as you can move the shaft to the correct spot before tightening it down (1/2" ratchet with a 24mm socket on the through bolt, and a 21mm box end wrench on the shaft and let the ratchet spin it to where it holds tension [as you can only fit one hand in through the side])
4) With the titanium tow hook, you will have to hog out/ream the honeycomb a little. I bought a spare lower grille in the event my grille cracks at some point down the line or I want to return it to 100% stock.

I am sure I will have to remove the bumper at some point, but I imagine you'd have to put it on/off a number of times to get the tow hook shaft aligned if you did it that way. Good luck!

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Great info. I think I will do mine from the bottom for the simple reason it will line up as I install it instead of putting the bumper on and off a bunch of times. Thanks for the info.

D.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
I had the same issue with mine with the receiver not being long enough to make it through the grill. I ended up going to home depot and buying a much longer bolt as well as a bunch of washers in order for the receiver to be close enough to the grill for the hook to screw into.
Quick update on actual functionality of the tow hook. Unfortunately, have required a tow two times now, both at Daytona. I have the tow strap attached and the tow operators were obviously very experienced there as they took great care to avoid causing any damage.
The first time was a tow using tow strap only. That did actually slightly torque the hook to where it took out an adjacent section of the honeycomb grille. Just one piece so no worries. Second time was up on the flat bed and all went well. Both times were able to pull straight, with no need for extreme angle that may stress the hook/backing plate beyond their limits.
Hoping to never have to use again but good to know that it actually works as advertised.
Sponsored