Sponsored

Tow Hooks - ZL1 Version

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
Agree with other installation notes and suggestions, particularly that this was a fairly massive PIA. I found that removing the push pins in both front fender liners (wheels removed of course) allowed for better access to the dreaded fender bolt. Used the dewalt right angle attachment to both remove and reinstall. I went with keeping the belly pan attached to the front bumper cover and r & i both as a unit. This also required removing the push pins holding the brake ducts to the fender liners as well so they stayed attached to the bumper cover. Thus, is really a two person operation in reinstalling the cover as the ducts need to align and clear the cooling lines and cross members correctly.

The other major issue that I had was that the tow hook receiver did not extend far enough forward into the grill to allow for the tow hook to then screw in far enough to have sufficient gripping power. Thus, had to remove everything and add in several stainless washers as spacers. This pushed the receiver more towards the honeycomb grill so that the hook could screw in enough to hold securely. Blue thread lock also used. Here's hoping will never have to find out if an actual tow hook retrieval will be successful.

If had to do again, may try and find a body shop to tackle this, although I feel the end result is most likely superior. Again, cannot understand why Ford didn't install these from the get go. I had recently corresponded with Ford Performance via chat and asked them why was not installed - their response was only that this was a common question they received and would take to engineering, or something along those lines.
Sponsored

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Ford should have made it standard on the GT350 and GT500. Heck, I think all the GM products have it standard.

i really don‘t want to pull my bumper. I have a lift - I am thinking go through splitter and belly pan route.

Any details on the rear one install?

d.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Ford should have made it standard on the GT350 and GT500. Heck, I think all the GM products have it standard.

i really don‘t want to pull my bumper. I have a lift - I am thinking go through splitter and belly pan route.

d.
The GT500 does come with a front tow hook. They should have done it on the 2020 GT350 as well...
I used the Ford Performance Tow Hook on the rear of both cars. Have to remove the rear facia to install. Fairly easy compared to the front.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Ah - good to know on the Gt500.

I am thinking I'll do the ZL1 Add on on front mount but I am thinking we can leave the front bumper on and go from the bottom. Should be easier to line up the mount, etc.

What does the ZL1ADDON rear mount look like? I can't find any pics of them installed, videos, etc.

D.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah - good to know on the Gt500.

I am thinking I'll do the ZL1 Add on on front mount but I am thinking we can leave the front bumper on and go from the bottom. Should be easier to line up the mount, etc.

What does the ZL1ADDON rear mount look like? I can't find any pics of them installed, videos, etc.

D.
I installed the ZL1 front hook from the bottom, taking off the belly pan.
I think their rear version requires you to drill a hole in the facia where the license plate is mounted. There are several threads here somewhere about that.

Sponsored

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
How was it from the bottom? I have a lift - so I think it is the way to go.

OK - I'll do some more searches for the rear mount.

Thanks,
D.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How was it from the bottom? I have a lift - so I think it is the way to go.

OK - I'll do some more searches for the rear mount.

Thanks,
D.
From the bottom was a knuckle-buster, but doable with patience. Better than removing the whole front facia.

Here’s the instructions for the FP rear hook. They are rather long, but they cover several models.

If you still want a back-up light, I used one of these. Found in the Marine section at Academy Sport:
37952E9B-A5CA-4B8E-B3EF-616423443DD7.jpeg

Attachments

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a pix with the rear hook & light installed. Used double sided tape to stick to the tow hook, and wired into the harness. Works great!
FF9C9DC3-79CA-44EC-A781-59671E3B823F.jpeg

BA3FCB63-EA7E-4CC2-84E9-68B5EF355C6C.jpeg

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
The GT500 does come with a front tow hook. They should have done it on the 2020 GT350 as well...
I used the Ford Performance Tow Hook on the rear of both cars. Have to remove the rear facia to install. Fairly easy compared to the front.
The 2020 GT350 has a threaded hole in the front crash bar for a tow hook to screw into, just like the GT500. The 2019 GT350 probably has it as well but I never pulled the bumper cover off of one to verify. I think the reason why Ford didn't have a cutout on the bumper cover for you to access the hole is because the GT350 was going out of production and it just wasn't worth the cost of retooling just for one or two years.

Sponsored

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Wow - we gotta know.

That would be cool - if there was a simple close out panel add on or just punch a hole and be done with it.

D.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow - we gotta know.

That would be cool - if there was a simple close out panel add on or just punch a hole and be done with it.

D.
Somewhere on this site is a pix of a guy who took off the front bumper cover on a ‘20 GT350 and discovered the same nut welded to the front bumper we GT500 owners have. I doubt its on the ‘19 GT350’s though due to timing.

The GT500 cover for this hole is rather elaborate and will not likely fit a GT350. But you could drill a hole in the cover and then either cover it with a rubber plug, or use it as a license plate mount like we do on the GT500.
E784EF21-A554-4504-B1FC-5BEC7645DF3F.jpeg
88722CE3-8AC6-4453-BC03-F02286435E9E.jpeg

https://www.grimmspeed.com/license-...MIorKqy_O37gIV0sDACh2DUQ8HEAQYBSABEgKrQfD_BwE

Last edited:

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Agree with other installation notes and suggestions, particularly that this was a fairly massive PIA. I found that removing the push pins in both front fender liners (wheels removed of course) allowed for better access to the dreaded fender bolt. Used the dewalt right angle attachment to both remove and reinstall. I went with keeping the belly pan attached to the front bumper cover and r & i both as a unit. This also required removing the push pins holding the brake ducts to the fender liners as well so they stayed attached to the bumper cover. Thus, is really a two person operation in reinstalling the cover as the ducts need to align and clear the cooling lines and cross members correctly.

The other major issue that I had was that the tow hook receiver did not extend far enough forward into the grill to allow for the tow hook to then screw in far enough to have sufficient gripping power. Thus, had to remove everything and add in several stainless washers as spacers. This pushed the receiver more towards the honeycomb grill so that the hook could screw in enough to hold securely. Blue thread lock also used. Here's hoping will never have to find out if an actual tow hook retrieval will be successful.

If had to do again, may try and find a body shop to tackle this, although I feel the end result is most likely superior. Again, cannot understand why Ford didn't install these from the get go. I had recently corresponded with Ford Performance via chat and asked them why was not installed - their response was only that this was a common question they received and would take to engineering, or something along those lines.
I had the same issue with mine with the receiver not being long enough to make it through the grill. I ended up going to home depot and buying a much longer bolt as well as a bunch of washers in order for the receiver to be close enough to the grill for the hook to screw into.

foolwithtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350

d.
Probably too late for you, but I pulled my front bumper off for the ZL1 towhook before I installed the splitter. It was such a breeze. Installing the splitter was not a breeze though. It might be easier to remove the bumper cover, belly pan, and splitter as a single unit than to remove the splitter and belly pan.