Sponsored

Totaled ?

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Damage should not exceed a threshold to total the vehicle. Should be no problem to have repaired at a qualified collision repair shop. Insurance for the at fault driver should work with your selected repair facility to write a preliminary repair estimate and added for any additional damages found. Payment should be made on a final repair bill. Depending on your state you should discuss making a claim for diminished value of your vehicle with the insurance company. Disclosure of damage to vehicle, required by law, will result in reducing the value of your vehicle when ever you sell the vehicle or trade it in. The insurance company should provide you with a rental vehicle while repairs take place. I would consider your vehicle not drivable with it's damage.
Regarding your comment on air bag deployment, the air bag system is not designed for a rear end impact. Just a few comments as an insurance company inspector for 36 years and collision repair shop manage for 12 years.
What diminished value should he expect if he has $10,000 in damages? I would expect an equal amount since that's how much it would affect the re-sale value.
Sponsored

Maypo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT PP0025 DHG, Honda CB1100, Explorer
What diminished value should he expect if he has $10,000 in damages? I would expect an equal amount since that's how much it would affect the re-sale value.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
diminished value goes off the car value, not the damage value. I think its roughly 10% of the cars value. so a 40k car, would be 4k. (I could be wrong) but this is what a few adjusters told me. They go and look for other damaged cars and what they sell for, if theres no comparable then I dont know how they do it. as each car is wrecked differently. some minor some major.

Maypo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT PP0025 DHG, Honda CB1100, Explorer
Usually it would not equal amount of repair cost. Different states have different rules on diminished value. It is usually based on what auto dealers would give for vehicle after repairs complected, comparing vehicle to an undamaged vehicle,inspecting vehicle and final cost of repair. Extent of damage and age of vehicle will enter into consideration. May require negotiating with insurance company after having inspection and bids by auto dealers. Sometimes an insurance company may resist paying diminished value and may require hiring an attorney to recover your loss of value.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
In Georgia the insurance companies try to use a formula called 17c. It uses the car's value, repair cost and mileage to determine what they want to pay as a diminished value. As you would expect that formula is heavily weighted in the insurance companies favor. You can always fight the original value and often get more but it's going to require a good bit of research and push back on your part. Different states may or may not be similar.
There are also companies who, for a fee, will determine what the value of your car is and their recommendation for what diminished value should be and provide you with documentation to give the insurance company.

Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
I plowed her, fully doing speed limit. Chic didnā€™t feel like waiting in line, 5 people waiting to go left. She goes into right turn lane. Pops her nose out and floors it to go left and here I come and smashed her, rightfully so.

lol. She had her girl get out and gave a statement saying shesaw her in the left lane etc, all kinds of lying.fortunately my 5 witnesses who was actually in the left lane said no. We watched her get out she wasnā€™t alone in car etc.

im currently suing her. Already maxed out her policy with their offers. Gonna be awhile. Whatever though. Do stupid things get rewarded stupid prizes. Iā€™m running with it.

I carry uninsured, under insured, liability, medpay, etc.

i couldnā€™t care less about comprehensive as I will just buy a new car if I get hit out of pocket. Bring so slow and careful, me being at fault is almost null.

she also falsified stuff to officer, didnā€™t help her case at all.

Heck no I donā€™t street race, I wouldnā€™t risk my career field for tickets etc. but I donā€™t care about watching idiots smash into each others cars lol thatā€™s entertaining as long as Iā€™m not involved

Iā€™m just an innocent bystander. Canā€™t cite me for anything, well unless Iā€™m in Cali where I guess they actually are citing spectators of stuff.

I use usaa insurance, but I also have bundles, like mortgage, car property, etc I think they discount eachother out.

my car is 2012 Scion tC though, 10 years old. Rates are cheap for it now
that sucks.... my wife got rear ended while parked... lots of med issues, the day we went to serve the guy that hit her... well we found he passed away... he was in 30s... what a nightmare..

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
My wifeā€™s car was hit last year, it destroyed the rear bumper, sensors, crush bar, trunk lid and put a crease on the rear passenger quarter panel and trunk tray. Total repair cost was $14,000, no airbags went off

FBEC8D03-AE22-4737-9E8E-701041E841B2.jpeg

0BA90B62-9A62-4B98-90EE-E778EE2F6971.jpeg

7A55E87A-B92D-4E7E-85FE-566F9E92E568.jpeg

35D4296B-0117-4C99-A4F1-C51C635711A2.jpeg

F72E403F-CF6E-4653-B51A-52A2F5718EEA.jpeg

F1A398D3-7811-4C84-95E1-589A49831600.jpeg

1D05C0FD-2ECD-494F-BBB0-C2CE53788A78.jpeg

CDFE528A-15F5-4303-AF5C-9B8D0C12D7B6.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
that sucks.... my wife got rear ended while parked... lots of med issues, the day we went to serve the guy that hit her... well we found he passed away... he was in 30s... what a nightmare..
im sorry to hear that situation. what happens in a case where the person passes away? can't collect ? or insurance is on 100% hook

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
im sorry to hear that situation. what happens in a case where the person passes away? can't collect ? or insurance is on 100% hook
It depends on the state so in my case we had to hire an attorney to represent his estate and sue that way. this guy never contacted his insurance company about the accident, we did some googlng on him b4 all this and found he had several accidents. its a mess... we wouldnt have pursued but my wife most likely has life long after effects... total nightmare...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on the state so in my case we had to hire an attorney to represent his estate and sue that way. this guy never contacted his insurance company about the accident, we did some googlng on him b4 all this and found he had several accidents. its a mess... we wouldnt have pursued but my wife most likely has life long after effects... total nightmare...
its people like this that never get any real consequences, people dont show up to court for criminal acts, they eventually just get tossed. its ridiculous. should be imprisioned over this stuff.

but I digress. I hope it works out.

Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
its people like this that never get any real consequences, people dont show up to court for criminal acts, they eventually just get tossed. its ridiculous. should be imprisioned over this stuff.

but I digress. I hope it works out.
well hes dead so i cant do much more :p but ya, its crazy how people act... too many things i could say but ill go with "if you dont have something nice to say..."

OP
OP

thegtway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arhmad
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Update! It took the police report almost a month to come in and dealing with the other party's insurance was a bit of a hassle also but I got the car towed to the collision shop last week and now the car is in the shop currently being repaired haven't heard anything about how much the estimate was but they did tell me that the repair is under way and should be completed by Feb 25th will definitely be calling the shop to check on how much the estimate actually was and will drop more info here as I get it sorry for the long wait on the update.

Edit: I will also check on the diminished value from the insurance thanks for the tip

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Great news ! Hopefully they can do a undetectable repair
Sponsored

Last edited: