Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I believe it.

I hit a girl awhile back, 2015 Sonic. Geico decided to repair it. 7000 dollars

the car is worth like 7k

so basically repairs the total cost of the car!
My daughter was hit just before Thanksgiving, completely the other's fault. Gieco originally said they would repair it, estimate was $5600 to fix a base model '12 Focus. Three days later Gieco changed their minds and called it a total loss and cut her a check for $8k.
My Inirial guess was her car was worth about $6500 to $7k so I was a little surprised when they said they would repair it then surprised again at the payout.
Seems like anything to do with cars right now is out of whack and unpredictable.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My daughter was hit just before Thanksgiving, completely the other's fault. Gieco originally said they would repair it, estimate was $5600 to fix a base model '12 Focus. Three days later Gieco changed their minds and called it a total loss and cut her a check for $8k.
My Inirial guess was her car was worth about $6500 to $7k so I was a little surprised when they said they would repair it then surprised again at the payout.
Seems like anything to do with cars right now is out of whack and unpredictable.
Same situation, the shop already started then found more damage, they also rejected half of geico parts multiple times. You wouldn’t believe the parts geico was sending, intercoolers caved in with a hole in it etc bc they was paying for used parts.
Fortunately the shop wouldn’t accept the parts and the bill went up I’m sure more so than they expected

i also chose my own shop due to this reason but they was already in the repair, would lose more backing out and totaling on top of what they owed the shop

all worked out though bc used cars I don’t want to have to buy another one right now. I borrowed her sonic to go pick up my mom from airport, thank goodness it wasn’t the mustang at that time.

wouldn’t of wanted to hear the values tossed around.

Last edited:

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
that's easily over $10k in damage. You have the rear body panel that will need to be cut out and re-welded and maybe quarter panel inner plates were flexed which could require replacement. Trunk area too. They should find more hidden damage after complete tear down.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Yes, expect repairs all told in neighborhood of $10,000.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
that's easily over $10k in damage. You have the rear body panel that will need to be cut out and re-welded and maybe quarter panel inner plates were flexed which could require replacement. Trunk area too. They should find more hidden damage after complete tear down.
Dang… I hope op gets car fixed

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
i also chose my own shop due to this reason but they was already in the repair, would lose more backing out and totaling on top of what they owed the shop

all worked out though bc used cars I don’t want to have to buy another one right now.
She's having a terrible time finding a used car. The cars she can afford without financing either sell as soon as they're listed or are pieces of crap being sold at top dollar.

I have used the same locally owned shop for the past 25 years. They have always done excellent work and looked out for my interest as much as they can.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I
She's having a terrible time finding a used car. The cars she can afford without financing either sell as soon as they're listed or are pieces of crap being sold at top dollar.

I have used the same locally owned shop for the past 25 years. They have always done excellent work and looked out for my interest as much as they can.
hope you guys find a good reputable car fairly and soon. They gave us 2k diminished value as well. So we paid 6700, I wrecked it, got full front end etc, nicer paint than we got it.

Got 2k dim value, so it’s like we spent 5k and it runs really well. Don’t like it being wrecked but whatever

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
OP update us !! Following

OP
OP

thegtway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arhmad
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
OP update us !! Following
ive Been thoroughly reading through all of the replies and I appreciate everyone who gave their opinion! Will update you guys as soon as I get more information next week.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
$7,000-$10,000 in damage there, not a total.

Sponsored

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
I have heard as low as 60% of ACV to total. Even so, that's a $30k car right now, so the repair budget is $20k+ and it's getting fixed.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
make sure to ask for diminished value once its all over, not all states I think provide this, but ive always gotten a few thousand back.

Maypo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT PP0025 DHG, Honda CB1100, Explorer
Damage should not exceed a threshold to total the vehicle. Should be no problem to have repaired at a qualified collision repair shop. Insurance for the at fault driver should work with your selected repair facility to write a preliminary repair estimate and added for any additional damages found. Payment should be made on a final repair bill. Depending on your state you should discuss making a claim for diminished value of your vehicle with the insurance company. Disclosure of damage to vehicle, required by law, will result in reducing the value of your vehicle when ever you sell the vehicle or trade it in. The insurance company should provide you with a rental vehicle while repairs take place. I would consider your vehicle not drivable with it's damage.
Regarding your comment on air bag deployment, the air bag system is not designed for a rear end impact. Just a few comments as an insurance company inspector for 36 years and collision repair shop manage for 12 years.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Crash impact travels in a straight line from point of impact. See if there is any tweaking where the doors close to the 1/4 panels. If so , the car is junk . Otherwise just a lot of sheet metal to straighten and plastic to replace. From what I can see you should be OK with the car being repaired.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Regarding your comment on air bag deployment, the air bag system is not designed for a rear end impact.
FWIW, I asked the OP if airbags deployed in the vehicle that hit him. He said they did not. I was not asking if his went off.
I was curious because my car suffered over $5k in damages from a rear end collision and the car that hit me, a '20 Camaro, did not have airbags deploy.
It seems that our Mustangs sustain a fair amount of damage in collisions under 16mph...
Sponsored