Torque this...

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
This past weekend I did an experiment (linkie here) on one of my wheels, and according to the owner's manual (2020 GT) the wheel torque specification is 150 ft./lb. There's no way that the factory installed them that tight, I could tell. When I put the wheel back on the car and later took it off again, that 150 was a killer to get off. 150 is the maximum that my torque wrench will measure.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas? Is there a consensus here on what is the correct torque setting for the OE wheels? In the past on my cars with aluminum wheels, the force has ranged from 90-110 ft./lbs.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The torque spec is 150 ft/lbs. If the factory didn't tighten them all the way, that doesn't change what the correct amount of torque is.

It has to do with the size of the studs, nothing to do with the material of the wheels.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve taken so many wheels on and off my Mustang that 150 feels like about 85 now to me.

if you look up the standard torque for a bolt as big as the studs on out generation mustang, 148 ft/lbs is the right number. Its a bigger stud than most cars and bigger even than the last gen mustang and bigger bolts require more torque to reach the same clamping force. Its not a mistake.

A long breaker bar helps with removing them tho, your standard tire iron is far too short and that 150 will feel like 300. Its not recommended to use a torque wrench to loosen a tight bolt, could damage the torque wrench (unlikely but it can happen)

Sponsored

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
if you have trouble getting 150ftlbs to loosen you need to hit the gym
Gym is closed. :frown:

And maybe I'm old. Old people don't have as much strength. Or I could be a girl. Or heck, I could be an old girl. :giggle:

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Yes, going to an enclosed space full of people breathing heavily is a great way to spend 2020. Maybe you should follow your own advice :like:.
it's just an expression. you can easily work out in your own home

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Gym is closed. :frown:

And maybe I'm old. Old people don't have as much strength. Or I could be a girl. Or heck, I could be an old girl. :giggle:
all those videos of old dudes beating up some young punk ass kid beg to differ

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Power tools are your friend. Work smart, not hard.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I still break mine free with a breaker bar and hand start them all, even with the use of my impact.
Yeah so do I. One cross threaded lug nut resulting in a broken stud nearly 20 years ago was one too many for me.

Sponsored

Blownfx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullit
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, going to an enclosed space full of people breathing heavily is a great way to spend 2020. Maybe you should follow your own advice :like:.
Well hell, this quarinteen crap has me up to about 265. If you all are growing at the same rate. Leaning on a breaker bar to move 150lb. Shouldn't be too bad.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
LOL, I used to do tech inspection duty at PCA DE events, I was the guy with the torque wrench making sure the nuts were all in the factory-spec 92-96 lt/lb range. Then again, Porsche lugs aren't steel, does metalurgy make a difference?

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Absolutely. Fastener maufacturers publish tables for torque values. Calculations are based on size, tpi, pitch, materials, and lube/no lube. Also for wheels, the torque value takes into account whether the wheels and lugnuts are flat face or cone.
Sponsored