Torn between 2017 GT Premium, 2018 GT Premium, 2017 Focus RS

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So I'm in a position to grab a sports car again finally. I've got a few options to pick between.

1. I'm going to look at a Focus RS this weekend and have a chance to own one under MSRP, RS2 package, 19" forged wheels with the Sport Cup 2 tires. A chance to own a rare and limited production model.

2. I can order a 2017 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue and have a color that will be discontinued and get all the options I want in it and probably get some nice rebates by the time it's done and the order banks open for 2018.

3. Wait and order a 2018 Mustang GT with the same options as above, but with MagneRide, PP2, and forged wheels. Probably the most expensive of the two above options and also a first year model for a refresh.

Anyone else put in a pickle like this with decisions? The dealer I talked to won't let test drives happen with the Focus RS, so I would probably have to go to another one just to drive it. I haven't even sat in one yet and I'm 6'6". The Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Pack I have driven last year as a 2016 model and I loved it.

:shrug:
Sponsored

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
As someone who drives a Focus now (2016 SE hatch) I'm absolutely, 100% regretting trading in my 2015 GT (long story). Granted, the performance difference between the NA 2.0L in the SE to the turbocharged 2.3L and all wheel drive RS is like turtle to rabbit on crack at the end of the day the interior is still that of a Focus with only a few touches. If the RS was a low $30k car it would be one thing, but since base models of the RS start at just under $40k I could not see myself buying it.

I'm praying I can get the down payment I need in time to order my 2017 grabber blue GT before the order banks close on 2017. I really like the GB and since nobody has seen what the interior (or exterior) of the base model GT is going to look like for 2018 I'd rather take the color I want and be happy, but that's just me.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I don't have a Mustang now.

I'm waiting to order an '18 as soon as the order banks open. (too many improvements to ignore)
Patience is a virtue.

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My coworker just got a Focus RS not too long ago. It's a cool car and makes some great noises, but they sure are expensive. I can imagine the depreciation will be pretty brutal on them.

Being in the midwest, I'd get the RS if I only wanted to have 1 vehicle and the price didn't bother me. Since I already had a winter car, I got the mustang.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
My son has a RS and it is a blast to drive. If all your driving is in the city get the RS.
The 2018 Mustang will be a more comfortable ride and you can't beat the sound
and performance on a nice stretch of road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
A lot of my driving is a mix of city and highway driving. Here in Austin, you can drive a Mustang GT with Pilot Super Sports year round for tires. Weather is pretty nice all around with no snow\ice and just some rain.

Appreciate the input so far guys. The sports car itch is just getting me since I know I can get one right now.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
since nobody has seen what the interior (or exterior) of the base model GT is going to look like for 2018 .
What rock have you been living under? The 18 base interior is practically the same as the current car. The Exterior looks like every other 18 mustang we've seen minus the PP spoiler and front splitter....not like its going to be a drastic change from a base to premium GT.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Magneride is definitely worth the price of admission. My 2 cents is to get a 2018 or 2019 if you're willing to wait and get the magneride.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
GT all the way '17 or '18 depending on the flavor you prefer.
Are you really willing to spend $40k for a FOCUS? It may drive great.. but you won't be able to get away from it's FOCUSness. Also, another thing with RS.. Have fun affording&replacing the Cup2 tires!!

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
They are both fast cars. Do you see yourself driving what most perceive as a muscle car or an econo-box?

For me most cars and bikes I have owned boil down to one factor. At the end of the day, just before you turn off the garage lights, when you look back at what's parked there does it make you want to say, "F@#k yeah!".

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
GT all the way '17 or '18 depending on the flavor you prefer.
Are you really willing to spend $40k for a FOCUS? It may drive great.. but you won't be able to get away from it's FOCUSness. Also, another thing with RS.. Have fun affording&replacing the Cup2 tires!!
You hit a pretty strong point with me. I'm trying to justify the 40k price tag. If the production was truly "limited" and the car being rare, that's one thing. Ford said they were pretty determined to meet the demand.

2017 Mustang GT Premium
Grabber Blue
6 speed
401A
Enhanced Security
Performance Pack
Premier Trim

Pretty positive I can get this for under invoice before the rebates that would be available by the time it's done. That's one hell of a Mustang for less than the Focus RS. Also, the V8 sound.... nothing better than that.

That same 2018 Mustang GT though with no rebates and the new MagneRide is probably going to be 43-44k if I had to guess.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
There's a nice used car in my neck of the woods:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/New...if_t=group_activity&notif_id=1489078781516327

FOR SALE $40,000

2016 Convertible Mustang GT Premium (401A) w/performance package & nav
560hp can be tuned for over 700hp
Roush supercharger and exhuast
Ford racing suspension (lowered)
Steeda sway bars
Michelin Pilot super sport tires
Varigon paint coating
Convertible styling bar
Limo tint and lights tinted
14,900 miles.

MSRP was $47,785

If I was in the market, I'd consider it.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I was working in europe for a while and came to greatly appreciate the hot hatch in general. I was really wanting a RS when I got back and when I was car shopping 2 months ago one of the dealers had a show model I sat in right after sitting in a mustang. I am a fairly rotund dude 6', just shy of 250, not muscle weight :). The car just felt quite cramped comparatively, which i somewhat expected after driving a renault clio diesel for a year. The thing that made me realize I could probably never own an RS though was sitting in the seat. My shoulders prevented the center of my back from touching the back of the seat. I would go find a showroom RS to sit and and try to get a feel if it would even be comfortable long term for your 6'6" frame.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I personally really like the Focus RS/ST.. if I could swing it, I'd love to have one as a DD with the recaros, nav and sunroof Lol.. That being said, I would not want either an RS or ST as an only car.. that would be a great 2nd car.

For the money, I'd go 17' GT all the way.. I don't think the 18's look bad but I think the 15-17 look better. As for the "performance upgrades" on the 18's, people get too caught up in the numbers.. Unless you plan on tracking your car will magneride really make that much of a difference?.. I'm all for performance but I live in a damn city with 90 degree turns and zero backroads.. all I want from my car is to look good, sound good and give me cheap thrills on the highway.
Sponsored