Top trim popping off

Jpol908

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Ragtop
I gave up and filled the gap with black silicone. It would still separate after being in the sun, but I just kept adding a little bit more silicone each time. After about 3 times, it stopped separating. Not perfect, but looks 100% better.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Two things I know. I'd never glue the pieces together and I'd never fill them with anything.
The gap on mine is 1/8" max, not nearly bad enough to take such drastic measures. After over 2 years of ownership I rarely even notice it anymore.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I have the same crack on my 2019 GT convertible at the same exact location. Mine is still under the original "bumper to bumper" warranty so I took it to the dealer to get it fixed. The service manager and a few technicians looked at the crack and they told me that they had seen this problem before. They told me that they ordered the parts to fix it from Ford, and proceeded to fix (or repair) the windshield header with new parts. They said that within a short time frame (couple of months) the crack appeared again, at the exact same place!! They offered to order parts, but that my best option would be for me to get a strong adhesive (Super Glue) and carefully apply the glue to the affected area and clamp it shut for an appropriate time. I had originally thought of that repair, but since it was still under warranty I took in just to see if they would repair it. Ford dealer said it would take a little while to get all of the parts together, and my car would be in the shop for a while, so all of the trouble for a small crack in the header trim, I decided that glueing it myself was the best option. Easy fix!
I used a triple strength epoxy and clamped it - it held for about a week and the clamps gouged the plastic so now it's got black gorilla tape over it. I've moved on from caring lol

flarecz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Flare
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible GT
Brand new 22' and the same issue ... I will probably wait if this is worsening in time. I am not fan of replacing these parts by a dealer as they typically cause other problems (squeaking noises are the base minimum).
Sponsored