Tires for Road course set up.

DDbluestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California special
Hello everyone! I have a 2016 mustang GT with coilovers, sway bars, vertical links. My goal is to eventually start road course racing. I recently bought Enkei PF01 18x9.5 wheels and now I need good track/daily tires to go with it. I'm trying to stay around 300 treadwear and its led me to michelin ps4s and continental contact sport. Michelin is 285 35 18 at 29 pounds and the Continental is 285 30 18 at 23 pounds. Has anyone ran these tires on a road course and which would they prefer? I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons for each one. If anyone can give me any feedback on the two it would be a big help. Thanks!!
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The Michelin will be better in the dry, but should not be by a huge margin. Continental will win in the wet. However saving 6 lbs per corner combined with the cost savings of the Continental should not be ignored. I think u'll get the most out bang for your buck with the Continental.

OP
OP
DDbluestang

DDbluestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California special
The Michelin will be better in the dry, but should not be by a huge margin. Continental will win in the wet. However saving 6 lbs per corner combined with the cost savings of the Continental should not be ignored. I think u'll get the most out bang for your buck with the Continental.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know if the michelin tire made up for the weight by having stronger sidewalls thus making better handling. What do you run on your car?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know if the michelin tire made up for the weight by having stronger sidewalls thus making better handling. What do you run on your car?
My response was based on what I have read on the forum over the years. I do not have either, I am still on the stock pirelli summer tire. I will be going with the Continental Extremecontact Sports when my go bald later this year. From what everyone posts, the Michelin is the superior tire but to me not worth the cost difference as the performance is marginal over the Conti
Sponsored